only 4 QBs

+1

What Dank said.

+1

It's not that I don't think a QB is important, it's just that a QB is wasted without DFence

just curious why the OP left Cam Newton off the list.

He is on every list of first round graded QBs you find by all of the draft experts.

He has unique physical skills and has won 2 national chanpionships and started every game over the last 2 seasons.

I would be interested to hear why you would not even consider him 'worth drafting'

? When did Newton win a 2nd national championship? Are you counting Jr college or something?

My major concern about Newton is he's only played 1 year in a major college program.

The phenomenon of the "1 year wonder" busting in the NFL seems a recurring theme.

For that matter, I'd like Gabbert a lot more if he'd played 3 years.

We do not have the time to spend on a project QB. We have to many holes on our roster to develop a "project"

This team needs as many impact players as possible now. That means every pick should be on a player than can contribute from day 1 especially in the first 3 rounds

NO HIGH ROUND PROJECTS! NO HIGH ROUND PROJECTS! NO HIGH ROUND PROJECTS!:worthy:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

just curious why the OP left Cam Newton off the list.

He is on every list of first round graded QBs you find by all of the draft experts.

He has unique physical skills and has won 2 national chanpionships and started every game over the last 2 seasons.

I would be interested to hear why you would not even consider him 'worth drafting'

? When did Newton win a 2nd national championship? Are you counting Jr college or something?

Actually, if you guys want to get real technical, he was at Florida in 2008 when they won the National Championship, so that's 3 consecutive years of being part of a championship team. :thumbsup:

:devil:

I don't want anything to do with Mallet anymore. I just am too worried about him being Ryan Leaf 2.0.

Ever considered that part of what made Ryan Leaf "Ryan Leaf" was that he was handed the keys and viewed as a savior at #2 in the draft? I guarantee things wouldn't have worked out nearly as well for Aaron Rodgers had he started on day one for a terrible team.

I am not at all excusing the guy - he sucked, and likely always would have sucked. But he was a colossal bust because he came with a very high price tag and very high expectations. If he was a late-first or second-rounder and sat behind another great, experienced, mature starter for awhile, his chances would have been better IMO - and if he never amounted to anything, he'd still have been a bust, but not the dictionary definition of one.

I would so take Mallett if he could be had with a second round pick and could learn and mature behind Fitz for two seasons.

He played in JUCO and dominated at that level. Then he played in arguably the toughest conference in major college football (SEC) and dominated. Then he played in the BCS national championship game and dominated (MVP). Not to mention that he won the heisman and by all accounts was the unquestioned team leader of the Tigers.

It is a pretty impressive feat to win 2 championships in consecutive years.

I would say that he is easily qualified to be drafted at some point and not "a total waste of time"

You compare him to Vince Young (can you give me some reasons other than the obvious one?)

I would compare him more to Steve Young.

I didn't think he dominated in the championship game - not even close to as much as VY did.

Dominating JUCO potentially shows something, but then, it potentially doesn't. I'd be a hell of a lot less wary of Cam Newton if he'd stay in school and show us that he can adjust when the whole world has had a year to game-plan for him. That would be a pretty good model for success in the NFL. Right now, there are a lot of question marks. Total waste of time? Probably not. Anyone who thinks he's a sure thing is absolutely nuts, though, IMO.

Then you didnt watch any of his games. Or you just dont understand the concept of playcalling.

As you did I watched at least four or five of his games. The first time I saw him I had a stereotypical view of him as a qb, namely that he was an athletic qb whose game wouldn't transfer to the pros. That initial view was quickly dispelled. What surprised me the most about him was his passing skills. Of course there are some mechanics to tweak, but the bottom line is he throws a beautiful ball. He isn't merely a thrower, he is an accomplished passer. He has a strong arm, is accurate and has a good touch on his ball.

The reality of the Bills is that they are closer to being an expansion team than they are being a contending team. If that is the case then it is better to get the franchise caliber qb on the roster and allow him the time to develop along with the rest of the rebuilding team.

As you noted, Newton is not a Vince Young type of qb. He is immensely better. Although there are major issues regarding Young the bottom line is that he was a very productive qb. His rate of winning was impressive. If that is the case then going with a more polished and talented prospect makes a lot of sense.

It is going to be interesting watching how the ratings of Newton go as the draft examination process advances. I think that he is going to steadily climb the ranking ladder and eventually be rated the number one qb in this draft.

Edited by JohnC

Ever considered that part of what made Ryan Leaf "Ryan Leaf" was that he was handed the keys and viewed as a savior at #2 in the draft? I guarantee things wouldn't have worked out nearly as well for Aaron Rodgers had he started on day one for a terrible team.

I am not at all excusing the guy - he sucked, and likely always would have sucked. But he was a colossal bust because he came with a very high price tag and very high expectations. If he was a late-first or second-rounder and sat behind another great, experienced, mature starter for awhile, his chances would have been better IMO - and if he never amounted to anything, he'd still have been a bust, but not the dictionary definition of one.

I would so take Mallett if he could be had with a second round pick and could learn and mature behind Fitz for two seasons.

I didn't think he dominated in the championship game - not even close to as much as VY did.

Dominating JUCO potentially shows something, but then, it potentially doesn't. I'd be a hell of a lot less wary of Cam Newton if he'd stay in school and show us that he can adjust when the whole world has had a year to game-plan for him. That would be a pretty good model for success in the NFL. Right now, there are a lot of question marks. Total waste of time? Probably not. Anyone who thinks he's a sure thing is absolutely nuts, though, IMO.

I agree with you. My entire point regarding Newton is that he has played well enough to show potential. The OP seems to consider him a "waste of time". I disagree. That's my whole point.

how about Christian Ponder, QB, Florida State. Remonds me of Michael Vick, except White, or Steve Young, except Right handed or John Elway, except not

Are you High? No way Ponder reminds me of Mike or Steve Young? Not even after coke, weed, alcohol, extasy, crack, meth and after a Menege a troi with Pamela Anderson and Lark Voorhees will Ponder look like Micheal Vick. So please pass whatever your smokin or snortin cuz its gotta be top notch...

Just don't like him as a QB, all the games I saw he had a run first mentality.

Andrew Luck 2011 - 263-372 for 3,338 yards

Cam Newton 2011 - 185-280 for 2,854 yards

Only 484 yards between them but he has a run first mentality?

Edited by ReturnoftheBuffaloBeast23

Anyone who thinks he's a sure thing is absolutely nuts, though, IMO.

It is very rare that there is a sure thing in the draft. There are questions regarding Fairley, who many people think is going to be the first pick. All you can ask from a scouting department is for it to do its due diligence in evaluating a player and then go with it.

Are you High? No way Ponder reminds me of Mike or Steve Young? Not even after coke, weed, alcohol, extasy, crack, meth and after a Menege a troi with Pamela Anderson and Lark Voorhees will Ponder look like Micheal Vick. So please pass whatever your smokin or snortin cuz its gotta be top notch...

Andrew Luck 2011 - 263-372 for 3,338 yards

Cam Newton 2011 - 185-280 for 2,854 yards

Only 484 yards between them but he has a run first mentality?

Those stats don't mean jack squat. Just shows that Auburn relied more on the deep throw than Stanford. That's it. If that's all your judging Newton off of, then you're argument is seriously flawed.

Those stats don't mean jack squat. Just shows that Auburn relied more on the deep throw than Stanford. That's it. If that's all your judging Newton off of, then you're argument is seriously flawed.

Well ok if we can't go off stats (facts) then how can we make this debate work? How is he a run first QB? And don't gimme that he looks one direction and runs because thats not gonna cut it, how can anyone but him tell what he's looking at (plus thats an opinion)...So please elaborate...

It is very rare that there is a sure thing in the draft. There are questions regarding Fairley, who many people think is going to be the first pick. All you can ask from a scouting department is for it to do its due diligence in evaluating a player and then go with it.

There are plenty on this board who feel Newton is a sure thing, but I agree with you.

The biggest issue with newton is, as with many college qbs these days, his pro-readiness.

It's not, as the OP states, his happy feet. Many, many of newton's run were, as previous posters have pointed out, designed runs. There's nothing wrong with that on its face, auburn was just taking advantage of his obvious altheticism.

But that fact reflects back on the big issue with newton. He was never asked to progress through reads like most pro qbs are forced to do. So it's not as if he can't (potentially) do it. His system was hinged on him hitting a (wide) open receiver. He was excellent doing this. His passing accuracy backs up this fact. If none of his primary reads were open (rare in auburn's case) then he ran the ball. Very effectively.

If (it's a pretty big if) newton falls into the right system, he'll be effective in the pros. If (an even bigger if) he's amenable to learning a pro system and adapting to it, he can be an elite qb in the pros and worthy a 1st round pick.

I think he can learn a pro system and flourish. Some may not think so. In either case, he's not a "run-first" qb who should be dismissed outright.

The biggest issue with newton is, as with many college qbs these days, his pro-readiness.

It's not, as the OP states, his happy feet. Many, many of newton's run were, as previous posters have pointed out, designed runs. There's nothing wrong with that on its face, auburn was just taking advantage of his obvious altheticism.

But that fact reflects back on the big issue with newton. He was never asked to progress through reads like most pro qbs are forced to do. So it's not as if he can't (potentially) do it. His system was hinged on him hitting a (wide) open receiver. He was excellent doing this. His passing accuracy backs up this fact. If none of his primary reads were open (rare in auburn's case) then he ran the ball. Very effectively.

If (it's a pretty big if) newton falls into the right system, he'll be effective in the pros. If (an even bigger if) he's amenable to learning a pro system and adapting to it, he can be an elite qb in the pros and worthy a 1st round pick.

I think he can learn a pro system and flourish. Some may not think so. In either case, he's not a "run-first" qb who should be dismissed outright.

That is very well put and I can only hope more posters understand what you are saying even though I disagree with what you are saying.

Edited by jboyst62

Just give me Dalton.....leader, strong enough arm, accurate, mobile, and a winner

What more do you need? By the way......I would totally take Ely Manning as my backup developmental QB. Give me Dalton in the 3rd round

Robert Quinn at 3

Phil Taylor NT in the 2nd

Andy Dalton QB in the 3rd

best availble LB at BOTH of the 4th round picks

best special teamer at 5

best special teamer at 6

pest special teamer at 7

In free agency give me a ROT and a TE....of STARTING quality

....but Dalton's a ginger

As I have stated many times before, he runs too much instead of progressing through his reads and reminds me of Vince Newton WHEN he was at Texas and didn't like him either. I don't hate him or any other player, I go by what I see and my gut Feeling and just don't feel he will be good in the NFL. I hope he turns out to be a great player but I just don't think he will.

Of course he didn't progress through his reads, because he played in what was essentially a one read scheme. Thats the real problem with Cam - we don't know if he has the ability to do that. Without football IQ in pro game situations against sophisticated and confusing defensive alignments he will not make it in the NFL even if he possesses absolutely all the physical skills needed to succeed - which clearly he does, and in abundance. Thats why he is and remains a high risk pick and probably needs careful "project appropriate" grooming. He could surprise and progress rapidly but a successful transition is anything but assured. Thats why I don't think the Bills wil take him - they cannot afford so big a risk given their many needs and the abundance of less risky immediate impact players, especially on the defensive side of the ball, available at #3. Of course we may regret passing on him (if thats what we do) in years to come. Doesn't alter the fact that not taking him, or the risk I mean, is the right decision now.

Ryan Mallet catches a lot of flack, but he is by far the most pro ready signal caller in this draft. Petrino's offence at Louisville (and his successors) was not exactly "pro-style" (something I like to point out to Brohm fans). It was basically 2/3 spread, 1/3 power I. Mallet lined up under centre at Ark more than Stefan Laforsa or Brian Brohm ever did. For those who believe Mallet is a bone head, he was trusted with changing plays at the LOS based on defensive alignment. His "bad" decisions were typically, as has been pointed out, not so much lack of vision but gunslinging on the basis of a belief in an infallible arm. I think the Bledsoe (not Leaf) comparisons are probably appropriate. Drew Bledsoe was a very good pro QB and a football player. He took his team to the Super Bowl, just like Jim Kelly did.