Super Bowl over President's Day weekend

President's Day Weekend Super Bowl  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Would the Super Bowl be better over a 3 day weekend?

The Super Bowl has turned into a political/patriotic ploy by the NFL to perpetually honor the armed forces and the government for quite some time. It was on display more this year than in previous years, with the reading of the Declaration of Independence, to Sal Giunta being honored in the back of the endzone (hell, even the Glee chick got a stage to stand on), the acceptance speech of the Walter Payton MOTY award in the Persian Gulf with members of the military waving Terrible Towels and wearing Cheesheads, the the obligatory F-15 flyover of a closed roof stadium that wasn't even visible to any of the players, coaches, or fans inside the stadium.

IMHO, having the game over President's Day weekend would accomplish a couple of things; give people a day off after the culmination of a long season and tie in how political/patriotic the Super Bowl has become.

Maybe they could even have a Rep/Dem football scrimmage, or execute a terrorist at halftime...I just think there is more potential with the 3-day weekend.

Thoughts?

The Super Bowl has turned into a political/patriotic ploy by the NFL to perpetually honor the armed forces and the government for quite some time. It was on display more this year than in previous years, with the reading of the Declaration of Independence, to Sal Giunta being honored in the back of the endzone (hell, even the Glee chick got a stage to stand on), the acceptance speech of the Walter Payton MOTY award in the Persian Gulf with members of the military waving Terrible Towels and wearing Cheesheads, the the obligatory F-15 flyover of a closed roof stadium that wasn't even visible to any of the players, coaches, or fans inside the stadium.

IMHO, having the game over President's Day weekend would accomplish a couple of things; give people a day off after the culmination of a long season and tie in how political/patriotic the Super Bowl has become.

Maybe they could even have a Rep/Dem football scrimmage, or execute a terrorist at halftime...I just think there is more potential with the 3-day weekend.

Thoughts?

Yeah, I'm really wiped out from football season. Glad I have the long offseason to recuperate before training camp starts again.

j/k; not a fan of dragging the NFL season out longer, but you may get your wish anyway if they go to an 18 game season.

It would be great if it becomes a nationally recognized holiday/paid day off from work but I think most diehard football fans already treat it as one. I take the day after the Super Bowl off anyway but would love if I didn't have to use one of my personal 8 hours for it. Never gonna happen though.

It would be great if it becomes a nationally recognized holiday/paid day off from work but I think most diehard football fans already treat it as one. I take the day after the Super Bowl off anyway but would love if I didn't have to use one of my personal 8 hours for it. Never gonna happen though.

I'm all in favor of a 3 day weekend when the SB is held, but not if it means holding the SB that late in February.

I've thought for years that they should make it a national holiday. It's the one event that just about everyone watches whether or not they're a football fan. I rarely go to SB parties anymore, especially if I have to travel any distance. I have 8 and 10 year old boys and it's a school night for them. I don't like missing any of the game and I'd have to leave by haltime in order to get home and get them settled in bed. That's not an option for me so the wife, kids, and I usually watch at home (yes, I've hosted before but prefer not to do so). Knowing that the kids were out of school the next day would make me more inclined to go to a party. In fact, we were invited to one this year and declined for that very reason. Having a day off would be great but I can take the next day without any problem so it's not much of an issue for me personally. The other option I wouldn't mind is to hold the game on Saturday night. I don't buy into the BS that the NFL needs the game on Sunday. They threw that out the window when the decided to sell their product to the highest bidder(s) on Thursdays, Saturdays, Mondays, and even holidays. The game wouldn't suffer any ratings on Saturday, even if that's historically a horrible night for TV. People are out in bars partying anyway. They'd watch. So, yes, I'd prefer they make the Monday after the game a national holiday or, failing that, hold it on Saturday night. Anyway, that's my two cents, FWIW.

Would I enjoy a day off after the SB? YES. More time to party and enjoy the game well after it's over.

W/O an 18 game schedule Feb 21 (3rd week of of the month) is a bit late for the SB

An 18 game season does not extend the season. Instead of there being 4 preseason games there will only be 2. The season will actually start 2 weeks earlier.

An 18 game season does not extend the season. Instead of there being 4 preseason games there will only be 2. The season will actually start 2 weeks earlier.

From Wiki.

Washington's Birthday is a United States federal holiday celebrated on the third Monday of February. It is also commonly known as Presidents Day. As Washington's Birthday or Presidents Day, it is also the official name of a concurrent state holiday celebrated on the same day in a number of states.

Ergo ... they would have to extend the season by 1 or 2 weeks. Unless you want the SB teams to take a week or 2 off before the game is played. One bye week was bad enough when they had them.

It's been pushed enough to begin with. No need to extend it any further.

Mike Francesa brought this idea up recently (maybe a year or so ago). Depending on how the calendar is laid out...start the season on Labor Day weekend, play an 18-game schedule with two bye weeks for each team (20 total weeks), and keep the Superbowl two weeks after the conference championships. This would put Superbowl Sunday on about the third Sunday in February, which is usually President's Day weekend.

I think this is too much. Once you start playing more games and potentially losing players to injury (or even rest), the quality of the game goes downhill, which is what I don't think the fans want...hence, the commissioner doesn't want that.

Yes, I'd love to see more football, but we shouldn't extend the season like this just because the owners want more cash in their pockets. Just like those who are into the holiday season - the decorators, partiers, etc. - we can get tired of the same stuff after a while.

NFL will not begin regular season 2 weeks before Labor Day - as it is now (16-games) they don't even want it to start until after the Labor Day weekend. They'll if it goes to 18 games, but no so much that the playoffs won't be pushed well into February.

IMHO, having the game over President's Day weekend would accomplish a couple of things; give people a day off after the culmination of a long season ....

or execute a terrorist at halftime...I just think there is more potential with the 3-day weekend.

Not everyone gets Presidents Day off. I don't unless I use some of my vacation time.

And I would definetly watch halftime if they do that.