Grooming Linebackers the Steeler Way

Bilgewater

good read, it goes to show the importance of having an identity and then finding players that fit, instead of constantly changing head coaches and schemes. I remember when Tomlin was hired. He was asked if he would bring his Vikings defense with him and he said no, he would defer to Lebeau's expertise and it certainly has paid off.

Great read. Its obvious they put an emphasis on intelligence, something I'm not so certain the Bills do with McKelvins score on the wonderlic being equivalent to illiterate and McGahee and Spiller not being able to learn the plays - not to mention Lynch and Maybin, who cant even contribute on special teams.

And this was my favorite part:

This season’s group — part of the league’s top-ranked rushing defense (62.8 yards per game allowed) and the league’s leading sack defense (48) — might provide the clearest example of the Steelers’ method for building a seamless unit.

#1 ranked rush D and the top pass rusing D to boot. Something tells me its not all about DBs.

Pretty strange to see such a Steelers fluff piece on a Pittsburgh team.

It was a good article but it was nothing more then a fluff piece. I recommend people read it and then go on to learn more about linebackers, especially if you do not know football all that much. He makes some interesting points but nothing that most NFL personel do not already know.

I guess knowing and doing are two different things. You are right, most teams likely know that this is the way to go but they can't get the culture to change and the players buy in to winning methods. Once a regime fails after the first couple of years they are fired. There is a reason why it is called the Steelers way or the Patriots way and not the Bills way unfortunately. I am hopeful that Gailey is on the right track and it does seem as the team is rallying around him. Gotta have hope I guess.

Great read. Its obvious they put an emphasis on intelligence, something I'm not so certain the Bills do with McKelvins score on the wonderlic being equivalent to illiterate and McGahee and Spiller not being able to learn the plays - not to mention Lynch and Maybin, who cant even contribute on special teams.

This season’s group — part of the league’s top-ranked rushing defense (62.8 yards per game allowed) and the league’s leading sack defense (48) — might provide the clearest example of the Steelers’ method for building a seamless unit.

#1 ranked rush D and the top pass rusing D to boot. Something tells me its not all about DBs.

Well, James Harrison is their best LBs today and he doesn't seem too bright, but I get your point. It's a great article, the Steelers machinery is something to be jealous about, there are no egos and everybody does their job.

Well gee whiz what happened to the monster defense when the steelers played the Bills? As a matter of fact I believe the steelers barely squeaked out that 3 point win against the lowly Bills. Monster defense my foot, how about favorably calls by the referees.

Well, James Harrison is their best LBs today and he doesn't seem too bright, but I get your point. It's a great article, the Steelers machinery is something to be jealous about, there are no egos and everybody does their job.

I don't get the whole "bright" thing. There are different levels of intelligence. There are people who are great in math who have no social skills. Eminem failed 9th grade 3 times but is amazing with words. I think football intelligence is another level of smartness. Using the Wonderlic to solely judge a player's intelligence is foolish IMO.

Plus, Dick LeBeau is the reason for the Steelers' LBs' success. Pitt lets pro bowl level LBs walk all the time (Chad Brown, Greg Lloyd, Kirkland, Porter) & replace them with UDFa (Harrison) & don't miss a beat.

Well gee whiz what happened to the monster defense when the steelers played the Bills? As a matter of fact I believe the steelers barely squeaked out that 3 point win against the lowly Bills. Monster defense my foot, how about favorably calls by the referees.

Are u serious?! Lmao!! The Steelers are about to play in the superbowl and go for their 7th title and you bring us up! Man, give credit where it is due. They dam sure stopped the overrated jets and that's something we couldn't do all season. Just saying, gotta give them credit. They are LB U!

I don't get the whole "bright" thing. There are different levels of intelligence. There are people who are great in math who have no social skills. Eminem failed 9th grade 3 times but is amazing with words. I think football intelligence is another level of smartness. Using the Wonderlic to solely judge a player's intelligence is foolish IMO.

Plus, Dick LeBeau is the reason for the Steelers' LBs' success. Pitt lets pro bowl level LBs walk all the time (Chad Brown, Greg Lloyd, Kirkland, Porter) & replace them with UDFa (Harrison) & don't miss a beat.

I do too put little stock in book smarts. My comment about Harrison is that it took him two years to learn something football related and made a splash in his fifth year, that is patience and I commend it.

A fascinating article from today's NY Times on how to build a dynasty. I hope Buddy, Chan, everyone at OBD commits this to memory:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/01/sports/football/01linebackers.html?ref=sports

The keys: draft quality humans, and teach them.

We always draft high character guys (except a couple of RBs :oops: ) we need to start drafting guys that can play.

Great article.

funny-

The linebackers bond by spending extra time together, Butler included, sometimes pretending they are at a club, with glow sticks provided by Larry Foote.

I'd be happy w/ draft of #1 Miller & #2 Sheppard to stockpile LBers like this. Merriman can bring the glow sticks.

Edited by dgrid

No egoes? There are egos on that team, but nobodies gonna come out and whine when you're winning games and making it to the playoffs almost every year. Joey Porter didnt have an ego? James Harrison doesnt have an ego? Roethlisberger? I met Santonio Holmes and his ego was off the chart. Every NFL team has egoes but you just dont see it when you're winning games.

I remember reading how Timmons was basically a bust-- he didn't know where he was supposed to be and was really ineffective for his first couple of years. Then, he said, one day it just clicked. Now, if you ask many Steelers fans, he's their best LB.

They run a complicated defense, are patient with their players, and it pays off. The success is probably due more to coaching and patience than anything else.

I remember reading how Timmons was basically a bust-- he didn't know where he was supposed to be and was really ineffective for his first couple of years. Then, he said, one day it just clicked. Now, if you ask many Steelers fans, he's their best LB.

They run a complicated defense, are patient with their players, and it pays off. The success is probably due more to coaching and patience than anything else.

...Aaron Maybin?

...Aaron Maybin?

Can only hope. He certainly wasn't a 43 end, and only has one year ever playing lb, and didn't have great coaching, supporting cast or mentorship at the new position. Can only hope adding merriman, and wanny and some talent in the front 7 will all help him along. I worry that Timmons atleast had size so he wasn't playing from as far behind.

I imagine having a few more big boys up front, a more accomplished coach and a guy to practice with who's done it before (as opposed to Kelsey) can only help. Excuses are running thin.

I guess knowing and doing are two different things. You are right, most teams likely know that this is the way to go but they can't get the culture to change and the players buy in to winning methods. Once a regime fails after the first couple of years they are fired. There is a reason why it is called the Steelers way or the Patriots way and not the Bills way unfortunately. I am hopeful that Gailey is on the right track and it does seem as the team is rallying around him. Gotta have hope I guess.

If the program is worth developing a culture around it shouldn't take long to show returns. Not in todays NFL. For chrissake, the Packers are the tenth different NFC rep in the SB in the last 10 years.

The notion that the Bills just aren't patient enough is a fallacy. They just don't hire the best available candidates and subsequently decrease their chances of success.

In Jauron's first season the rebuilding Bills beat the downtrodden Jaguars and Packers. The following season the Packers and Jags played in the conference championship games. The Bills went 7-9 both seasons but that type of "going nowhere" program, IN SPITE OF JAURON FAILING IN CHICAGO, was tolerated in the name of continuity.

The moral of the story is hire the best you can and take your chances. It's indisputable that the Bills have settled at the HC position repeatedly.