Defense

Defense, especially run defense, right now seems to be a major weakness. To me, last years draft messed up the start to the fix. With the switch to 3-4 NT should be a prominent position, and the Troup pick was not my idea of the big guy in the middle to do that. If Merriman is healthy and returns to form that is awesome. While LB is still a concern, the line worries me more. Stroud should be traded or released. Williams or Troup are not the answer. Buffalo has to go DE with their 1st pick. Farley at 6-5 300 is not the answer at NT. That should be a 6-3 to 6-5 guy around 340 or so. Unless FA gives the Bills a gem at NT I think we are screwed again in run defense. From what I have seen, unless some one points one out, this draft class is weak in big 3-4 NT's that can be had early, by early I mean 1st - 3rd round. I am sure of 2 things not needed in this draft, WR or CB. I would do this much though, if Cam Newton is still around at the end of the 1st and a team needing a QB is coming up, I trade my 2nd and 4th and move up.

Troup used to play at 365 or so and lost weight in college to be a 3 down player . He's got a massive lower body and plenty of room to get bigger. An offseason of pro weight and strength training will do wonders. I expect him around 330 lbs of power next year. He's going to be a beast. No NT rook made a whiff of impact this year. Troup got in valuable reps and is learning the game. It took BJ Ragi of the Packers a year or so to learn the pro game and he's doing just fine. I expect the same for Troup.

Troup used to play at 365 or so and lost weight in college to be a 3 down player . He's got a massive lower body and plenty of room to get bigger. An offseason of pro weight and strength training will do wonders. I expect him around 330 lbs of power next year. He's going to be a beast. No NT rook made a whiff of impact this year. Troup got in valuable reps and is learning the game. It took BJ Ragi of the Packers a year or so to learn the pro game and he's doing just fine. I expect the same for Troup.

Man I hope you're right on all accounts on Troup. If he came back bigger, stronger and ready to play the pro game like Raji in his second year I would be ecstatic. I am a KW convert now. That being said I think he would be better suited as a DE.

Man I hope you're right on all accounts on Troup. If he came back bigger, stronger and ready to play the pro game like Raji in his second year I would be ecstatic. I am a KW convert now. That being said I think he would be better suited as a DE.

KW will make the transition. Troup is huge when you get near him. Lower body is wide and thick. He's 21 or so and is going to get better and better. He benched a bunch at the combine (34 I think) but can still get stronger. He needs to learn how to disengage from blockers and do better in the hand to hand combat in the trench. Raji had the same issues. They gotta learn and last year Troup got some good reps in. He's going to be good. I expect him to stand up the middle next year and towards the end or the season, to begin pushing and collapsing the middle.

Edited by Green Lightning

I respected the Troupe pick, as well as the Carrington pick. Carrington looks like he's going to be a beast, and Troupe, if I'm not mistaken, was coveted because he had the stamina to play through the whole game, as opposed MT. Cody, who could only stand in there for 2 downs. Troupe should only get better for the next few years, and that bodes well for us. He is one of those football players that is just going to be consistent and solid - a lot like K. Williams. Those three are going to be good for us. I would like to add a real behemoth NT, if that fella on our P.S. doesn't look good enough to pan out. And, another good DE would be nice, too, since a healthy rotation is necessary for the full season.

Due to the rarity of good big men, I suspect we might spend an early pick on one, even though our linebackers need upgrading more than anything. I just think - and, I suspect Nix agrees somewhat - that it's easier to find good linebackers in the middle rounds, if you know exactly what you want. There are always the smallish DE's from small schools that are capable of, and could potentially be great, OLB's.

Yes, I think our 2010 draft was aimed at being productive in 2011 and beyond. I also think our D is only 4 good players from being very good. I only hope that one or two of them bring a bit more nasty to our team, attitude wise. We already have guys that play hard all game long, and play as a team.

Go Bills!

Defense, especially run defense, right now seems to be a major weakness. To me, last years draft messed up the start to the fix. With the switch to 3-4 NT should be a prominent position, and the Troup pick was not my idea of the big guy in the middle to do that. If Merriman is healthy and returns to form that is awesome. While LB is still a concern, the line worries me more. Stroud should be traded or released. Williams or Troup are not the answer. Buffalo has to go DE with their 1st pick. Farley at 6-5 300 is not the answer at NT. That should be a 6-3 to 6-5 guy around 340 or so. Unless FA gives the Bills a gem at NT I think we are screwed again in run defense. From what I have seen, unless some one points one out, this draft class is weak in big 3-4 NT's that can be had early, by early I mean 1st - 3rd round. I am sure of 2 things not needed in this draft, WR or CB. I would do this much though, if Cam Newton is still around at the end of the 1st and a team needing a QB is coming up, I trade my 2nd and 4th and move up.

Don't need to be high round to be good, Phil Taylor 340 and Kendrick Ellis 340 can be had mid rounds and will be good players in the league. If Troupe and Carrington can improve we would be better off with OLB as first pick, which should be Robert Quinn, Ryan Kerrigan or Von Miller.

Troup got thrown around a bit much to be optimistic about him.

He's no goner or anything like that, but he needs to make huge strides in terms of strength and technique to continue to get snaps.

Phil Taylor is a true NG prospect aty 6'4'' 340 pounds and not out of shap at all according to those at teh senior bowl. He is wearing #98 today for Gaileys South team at teh Sr bowl. If he has a good game we will be lucky to get him with our 2nd rounder.

I think he could be a great addition, which would allow KW to move to the 5 tech, and out top 2 NGs would be Taylor and Troup, with KW still being able to play NG on 3rd and long. Depth is very key and those big guys need breaks. IMO you really need 2 NGs on a team.

Later round NG prospects are Jarvis Jenkins from Clemson, wearing #99 on the south team also. He is 6'4'' and 310, btu could get bigger. Mike Blanc from Auburn is also a stout guy at the same listed size. Both of those guys are 4th-5th round prospects that are real anchors in teh sand. The opportunity to get a stout NG is there in the draft.

Don't need to be high round to be good, Phil Taylor 340 and Kendrick Ellis 340 can be had mid rounds and will be good players in the league. If Troupe and Carrington can improve we would be better off with OLB as first pick, which should be Robert Quinn, Ryan Kerrigan or Von Miller.

Fixeed :thumbsup:

As the Doc has stated more than once over the past several weeks... The Bills no. 1 need is at nose tackle. One or both... Taylor or Kenrick Ellis I'd be Ok with in the draft.

Now, that is not to say that the Bills should use their first pick on a NT. However, if they do not address the position and acquire a big time NT in the offseason, there won't be a dime's difference in the defense from the 2010 season.

Kyle Williams and Torell Troup are not the answer at nose tackle. That's been tried over a full season and it has clearly failed.

Kyle Williams and Torell Troup are not the answer at nose tackle. That's been tried over a full season and it has clearly failed.

Really, then by your estimation BJ Raji was a failure because he didn't light'em up in his rook year either....but he's looking pretty good at the end of season two though. But you're right, let's just give up on Troup because, after all, he didn't make the Pro Bowl in his rookie season. Why can't we all see that clearly........

Look at my sig-that's how the defense will improve.

NT is a position we could try to upgrade, but it isn't our weakest area on the DL. Stroud was outclassed at DE. We had NO contain from the line all years and thus we got beat up badly on off tackle plays. We need a 3-4 DE. Marcel Dareus is the best option in RD1 for that position. Troup has the size and speed to play NT. He deserves a chance to do the job for a whole season before we give up on him. We NEED two LBs in this draft who can come in and start. Period. Until we upgrade the LB position, you can forget the D being much better. 3-4 D is very LB oriented, and that was our biggest weakness last year.

As the Doc has stated more than once over the past several weeks... The Bills no. 1 need is at nose tackle. One or both... Taylor or Kenrick Ellis I'd be Ok with in the draft.

Now, that is not to say that the Bills should use their first pick on a NT. However, if they do not address the position and acquire a big time NT in the offseason, there won't be a dime's difference in the defense from the 2010 season.

Defense, With who and where does the build come from

Resign Poz and Florence, Let Whitner walk and start GWilson, he is better anyways.

Draft:

1: Fariley, Bowers, or Dareus

2: Phil Taylor, NG, Baylor

3: Mark Herzlish, ILB, BC

4b:J.Jenkins or Mike Blanc, DE, Clemson & Aubrun respectively.

Edited by Thoner7

... We NEED two LBs in this draft who can come in and start. Period. Until we upgrade the LB position, you can forget the D being much better. 3-4 D is very LB oriented, and that was our biggest weakness last year.

I completely agree, but unfortunately this isn't a great year for LBs unless there are some college DEs that can

make the transition. Unlike many here, I like what I have seen of Von Miller, but if they want him they will have

to take him at #3. He isn't as big as I'd really want a 3-4 OLB to be, but he isn't tiny at 6'2" 237 and is very

close in size to Pittsburgh's Harrison (6' 240). Miller is ultra quick and has proven over the last two seasons

that he can rush the passer. He played the run well in the Senior Bowl (IMHO).

Beyond Miller though, there doesn't appear to be much to like at LB, however ratings do change over the months

leading to the draft.