Buddy's oppinion

Just read Buddy's comments in the paper and follow up article on Buf. Rumblings. My impression of his thoughts are he is OK with the O'line. I certanly agree with him on D. Bell. I thought he was at very least a competent tackle, especially in the pass game. Hangartner got a luke warm response. He liked our youth. We do have a young O'line.

I personally think the line could use a solid tackle. Be it right or left. I think Bell can transition to the Right side easilly and thrive there. Picking up a tackle with the 1st pick of Rd 2 would do wonders for this team.

In contrast Buddy's comments about the linebackers on this team were not so flattering. He knows he has very little talent there. Moats has got a shot. Poz can play in a limited zone capacity. And then a bag of hockey pucks.

I personally think the line could use a solid tackle. Be it right or left. I think Bell can transition to the Right side easilly and thrive there. Picking up a tackle with the 1st pick of Rd 2 would do wonders for this team.

Bell is not a bruiser like a proto-type RT. His best feature is his agility, but he is not strong enough. He doesn't provide a lot of push on the run. He is agile enough to handle speed rushers, but gets thrown around a bit too much.

Offensive Tackle is a glaring weakness on this team, but OTs don't sell tickets, so this position is neglected year after year.

Edited by Bill from NYC

Sounds like Demarcus Love has stuggled so far in Senior Bowl practices. Was hoping he could be a 2nd round steal as a RT prospect. Still, it seems there are quite a few prospects who have a very bright RT future. Let's hope we land one of em'.

Bell is not a bruiser like a proto-type RT. His best feature is his agility, but he is not strong enough. He doesn't provide a lot of push on the run. He is agile enough to handle speed rushers, but gets thrown around a bit too much.

Gailey addressed this very thing in his post season wrap-up. He acknowledged that Bell has to get stronger, and that he really couldn't even work out last off season because of his injury (the legs especially couldn't be worked). And he didn't practice on Wednesday's during the season.

Here's what Buddy said about Bell in Mark Gaughan's article:

"Listen, there's one thing about that guy that we know for sure, he won't bail out on you, because if he was going to he would have done it this year. He played hurt the whole year. ... He'll get stronger and be healthy and be a good player."

Two good things here: Gailey and Nix recognize what needs to be done. And Bell is committed to doing just that. I think the kid has a breakout season in '11.

Edited by yungmack

Sounds like Demarcus Love has stuggled so far in Senior Bowl practices. Was hoping he could be a 2nd round steal as a RT prospect. Still, it seems there are quite a few prospects who have a very bright RT future. Let's hope we land one of em'.

Yeah...I watched him closely in the Sugar Bowl. He got absolutely abused by Cam Heyward. IMO...very unimpressive as a run blocker.

Just read Buddy's comments in the paper and follow up article on Buf. Rumblings. My impression of his thoughts are he is OK with the O'line. I certanly agree with him on D. Bell. I thought he was at very least a competent tackle, especially in the pass game. Hangartner got a luke warm response. He liked our youth. We do have a young O'line.

In contrast Buddy's comments about the linebackers on this team were not so flattering. He knows he has very little talent there. Moats has got a shot. Poz can play in a limited zone capacity. And then a bag of hockey pucks.

I agree with your comments on the O'line and if you read into it it seems like Hangatner is out and we need a RT...

I want either 1 of the 3 big tackles from the North team. I think all3 can play the right better than the left right off the bat. Or Marcus Gilbert from Florida in the later rounds, or James Carpenter from Alabama.

We will grab a tackle in this draft. Hopefully its in the earlier rounds. Think Wang is a wasted pick.

I like buddys comment on qbs, that we will draft on this year. Think itll be Dalton.

Look at the two teams in the Super Bowl. I know that in 2009 they allowed the 1st and 2nd most sacks and averaged the 31st and 32nd most YPC (this was well-documented at the beginning of this season). Not sure where they stand after 2010, but Jonathan Scott starting at LT is an indication the Steelers still don't have one of the best OL's in the game, though I know Pouncey probably helped out quite a bit. The point is that the Bills line is anything but in disarray as some of you believe. Management believes, as do I, they have three REAL GOOD NFL starters in Bell, Wood and Levitre and some solid depth in Hangartner and Urbik et al. Don't forget Nix and Gailey believe very strongly in their '10 draft and Wang will get a crack at the RT spot this year if he's healthy. After Fitzpatrick found his rhythm, they allowed a low number of sacks relative to the league average and their YPC was just fine, though holes were hard to come by and Jackson is good at improvising. The point is that the OL is FAR from our biggest problem. A RT in Round 2 or 3? Maybe, but don't expect much more than that. I think and I really believe they think, they can make it work with what they have. Expect them to go heavy front 7 in the first 3 rounds (2 of the 3 picks). You're welcome, Metz

P.S. We can thank Dick Jauron and co. for Wood and Levitre. Not every team has two budding young high draft pick interior linemen that are poised to anchor their line for the next decade.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

...Management believes, as do I, they have three REAL GOOD NFL starters in Bell, Wood and Levitre and some solid depth in Hangartner and Urbik et al...

I'm with you on this. Linebacker and DL are more urgent needs right now. (That Maybin pick will sting for a while).

A solid RT pick in round 2 or 3 would be nice though. Other than that, I'm thinking they'll go with what they got at o-line for now.

P.S. We can thank Dick Jauron and co. for Wood and Levitre. Not every team has two budding young high draft pick interior linemen that are poised to anchor their line for the next decade.

Yes but it cost us a pro bowl left tackle in the process. Can we thank Jauron and co. for this as well?

I'm with you on this. Linebacker and DL are more urgent needs right now. (That Maybin pick will sting for a while).

A solid RT pick in round 2 or 3 would be nice though. Other than that, I'm thinking they'll go with what they got at o-line for now.

I like the fact that Buddy came right out and said, "We had gotten small around there -- 225- and 230-pound linebackers -- and it's hard to stop the run with that. We gotta get bigger."

All the fans watching our linebackers getting carried 4-6 yards deep after their initial hit on opposing RBs, or watching RBs flat-out just run over them are finally being told that what we have seen over the years is not an optical "delusion". Really started to get annoyed with all the post game comments from our linebackers and DL about playing their gaps and fits better. Heck, most running backs are as big if not bigger than our LB core - that's not good.

I guess it is unreasonable to expect them to say, "I need to get bigger and stronger so I wont be pushed around any more".

Nix with the fix - this is a better front office... get'er done Buddy.

My read on Buddy's comments is that we have four of the five OL positions relatively set: Bell, Levitre, Wood, and probably someone between Urbik and Rinehart. Pears may work out at RT, but at least he represents depth. Sounds like he's really looking for a RT and more depth.

Question is, where does Wang fit in? (insert favorite joke here)

My read on Buddy's comments is that we have four of the five OL positions relatively set: Bell, Levitre, Wood, and probably someone between Urbik and Rinehart. Pears may work out at RT, but at least he represents depth. Sounds like he's really looking for a RT and more depth.

Question is, where does Wang fit in? (insert favorite joke here)

He's so big that I have to imagine they'll find a gap for him to fill.

I like the fact that Buddy came right out and said, "We had gotten small around there -- 225- and 230-pound linebackers -- and it's hard to stop the run with that. We gotta get bigger."

All the fans watching our linebackers getting carried 4-6 yards deep after their initial hit on opposing RBs, or watching RBs flat-out just run over them are finally being told that what we have seen over the years is not an optical "delusion". Really started to get annoyed with all the post game comments from our linebackers and DL about playing their gaps and fits better. Heck, most running backs are as big if not bigger than our LB core - that's not good.

I guess it is unreasonable to expect them to say, "I need to get bigger and stronger so I wont be pushed around any more".

When I saw this Buddy quote, it gave me a sense of relief. My worst fear is that we take Von Miller with the #3 pick.

If Buddy is OK with the Oline as it is, then it's no wonder the Bills can't run nor keep the quarterback upright. If Wood moves to center, then whomever is plugged in at Wood's guard spot will be a significant dropoff from Wood. So, they upgrade their center position and downgrade their RG position. Meanwhile, neither LT or RT are even average. Buddy can say and think what he wants. But, I, and thousands of other Bills fans saw both tackles consistently savaged by the opposition's defense throughout the season... and that was with keeping a TE and RB in to block in passing situations.

If Buddy is OK with the Oline as it is, then it's no wonder the Bills can't run nor keep the quarterback upright. If Wood moves to center, then whomever is plugged in at Wood's guard spot will be a significant dropoff from Wood. So, they upgrade their center position and downgrade their RG position. Meanwhile, neither LT or RT are even average. Buddy can say and think what he wants. But, I, and thousands of other Bills fans saw both tackles consistently savaged by the opposition's defense throughout the season... and that was with keeping a TE and RB in to block in passing situations.

I just figured it out. Finally! You are going through menopause. Now I understand it.

Damn I thought we just had a new defensive scheme that has 5 strong safeties the famous 3 - 5 - 3, and some damn slow ones to boot. I like how Nix and Gailey are coming forward with the truth plus it shows they understand what all of us seem to understand.