The Art of War: Invincibility lies in the defense. The possibility of

The Art of War teaches us a valuable lesson: One defends when his strength is inadequate he attacks when it is abundant.

How to rebuild our front 7 and gain Invincibility:

Cutting Maybin and not retaining Keith Ellison would be a good start. Torbor & Ayodele & Pierre Woods are not in this rebuild. Resign Poz to man the LILB spot. Figure Poz can be resigned for 4 years at $7 million season $28 total $9 guaranteed. Moats has great potential but his awareness in outside contain needs to be improved. Right now Moats makes for a good 3rd down nickle blitzer or as a hand down DE rusher from the dime formation.

With the possibility of adding Nick Fairley or Da'Quan Bowers or Marcell Darius to our front along with Troup, Carrington & Williams would bolster the first line of our defense. This front would not be intimidated nor pushed around by the Jets, and would scare Brady.

To address our other needs TE & ILB & OLB:

TE - Randy McMichael (SD)- proven veteran with over 4000 yards receiving age 32. has a few decent seasons left so we can determine if shawn nelson can develop in year 3 like stevie johnson & eric moulds did. 2 years $7.5 million $1.5 million guaranteed. Bills completed lowest number of passes to TEs in 2010.

LILB, ST & LS - Brandon Siler (SD) - 6'2'' 239. key reserve can serve as backup long snapper age 25. 4 years $10 million $1.5 guaranteed. 3-4 MLB.

OLB - Kamerion Wimbley (OAK)- 6'3'' 255 9 sacks age 27. 5 years $50 million, $12 million guaranteed. 4-3 OLB

OR

OLB - Tamba Hali (KC) - 6'3'' 275 15 sacks age 27. 6 years $88 million, $30 million guaranteed. 3-4 OLB. Not Julius Peppers money but will take a truck load to bring this guy to Blo.

This is a simple strategy that would vastly improve our defense. If implemented the Jets won't continue their 4 game rushing average of over 270 yards per game against us.

Step 1 - get a rookie stud defensive lineman

Step 2 - aggressive target top level outside & inside linebackers

Step 3 - turn your weakness into your strength. have key reserves a la: kelsay, merriman, moats, siler, troup, carrington, stroud

I like that strategy. It always bothers me when a team doesn't seem to be trying to create an identity with their offensive and defensive units. I think a team is much better served when the F.O. goes into building a team with a specific model in mind. It allows them to target exact fits, and to recognize players that will work.

With our defense from 2010, you have a unit that is in-between. We aren't a good example of any successful model of defense. So, with your approach, you isolate what you have that fits the type of defense you want (and, I think most of us fans want - an attacking, nasty defense). We know we have players on the defense that just aren't good enough - so, rather than keep them here, and pay them - WHEN WE COULD GET RID OF THE PLAYERS THAT WE KNOW AREN'T GOING TO GET US TO WHERE WE WANT TO GO, TAKE THE ACCUMULATED MONEY THERE AND PUT IT TOWARDS A FEW VERY GOOD PLAYERS, and then load up on undrafted free agents - who we have a knack of finding quality talent in. I mean, go aggressively after the yound guys on smaller teams, when in number we're likely to find a few keepers.

Anyway, get rid of the trash, and what we have left is a decent group on the D-line - missing one excellent DE or NT, depending on the style we want to play. We're lacking two quality starting LB's. And the secondary depends on F.A. losses - but, I'd worry about that last - and next year, if need be. Fix the front seven now.

Likewise, on offense, fix the O-line this year, with a F.A. RT, and the T.E. position, too. That way, next year we just need to settle the QB spot and patch up the secondary.

Lol @ quoting Art of War on a football message board.

Adding a rookie D Lineman to such studs as Troup and Carrington is really gonna scare Tom Brady.

Also, we have no shot at Wembley/Hali. Time for Plan B.

Hey, the OP did some solid work here and I for one don't buy into the "no decent FA will come here" arguement. It is likely KC would never let Hali get away but stranger things have happened. I do agree with the basic premise of the OP's thinking. Go big on DL with the number one pick but concentrate on the LB's after that. Our DL with (Fairley - Darius - Bowers) Troup, Carrington, KW, Edwards and some key back ups should develop nicely. Brady won't be frightened at first but as they develop, watch out. Our LB's are awful and that's where we need to shop and draft well.

Lol @ quoting Art of War on a football message board.

Adding a rookie D Lineman to such studs as Troup and Carrington is really gonna scare Tom Brady.

Also, we have no shot at Wembley/Hali. Time for Plan B.

The football field is one of the most appropriate places for the application of the Art of War. Possibly 2nd only to actual combat.

Application of Art of War strategies. Not comparing football and combat. Stating that Art of War can be well used in football even though it was meant for combat. No disrespect intended to anyone who has served. But you get the idea. I would hope so at least.

Awesome post and some great retorts!

Troup and Carrington are not reserves long term they are package players i think and hopefully more with time and exp.

Buffalo barbarian inserts 3 players that are so good in my book that we would only need linebackers to cover or call the play.

problem solved.

next.

know your strengths and better even know the enemies weakness and make that your strength.

The art of war applies to life also and certainly to football.

it is spoken from a generals point of view.