So much for the NEED to have a "franchise QB"...

McD

Hmmm...its only his second year and playing on the biggest stage...you talk about his rating, so I would also like to add his QB Rating for the playoffs since you brought up his rating:

2009: 92.7 (rookie year)

2010: 91.6

He has 7 TD's to 3 Int's in the playoffs, completes over 60% of his passes in the playoffs and averages over 7.5 YPA. So for as much as Bills fans want this kid to be a flop, he is pretty good in his very young career on the biggest stage. This kid has a lot of upside, and people forget how little experience he had coming out of college yet has been the QB of a team in his first 2 years that have gotten to the AFC Championship game in a conference with Brady and Manning in it.

Sorry, but this kid isnt as bad as board members want him to be and he is just getting started. Is he an Elite QB now? NO, of course not...but this kid has come up big in some big games or with the game on the line several times in his young career. His cieling is high...whether he keeps getting better or not is in his hands, but he definitely has shown he has the potential on more than one occassion to say the least.

I could care less. HE DID NOTHING to get his team there. He HURT his team more than he helped them in his rookie year. You could put Trent Edwards back there the last 2 years and they wouldve made the playoffs. Playing for the number 1 defense and number 2 ranked run team last year and the number 3 ranked defense and the number 3 or 4 ranked rushing attack got them here. I love how you fail to mention that he had a whopping 183 yds and 0 TDs and 1 INT in his first playoff game against the LOWLY colts defense this year. Give me a fckin break.

A QB with a 63.0 QB rating doesn't account for being a franchise QB in my book. But to people like YOU, I guess those are GREAT numbers. This guy is nothing but an average QB that plays for a superb defensive team. I wouldn't even rank him in the top 20 QB's in the NFL. If it wasnt for this defense and running game, he wouldn't even be in the playoffs.

Kinda like Trent Dilfer and Rex Grossman making it to the playoffs with a solid defense and solid running game. This kid is nowhere near an elite QB nor is he even a good QB. Average is where I would put him.

Last year he had a whopping 63 QB rating, with 12 TD passes and 20 INTs. For a top 5 draft pick? This guy should be putting up WAY better numbers than that.

Josh Freeman 3451 yds, 25 TDs 6 INT, 61% completion percentage, 95.9 rating.

Mark Sanchez 3291 yds, 17 TD, 13 INT, 54.8 completion percentage, 75.3 rating.

One is seen as the "Sanchize" and the other is overlooked because his team didn't make the playoffs. Sanchez couldn't hold Freeman's jock strap.

Edited by DreReed83

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, down goes Manning, down goes Brees, down goes Flacco, down goes Vick, down goes Ryan, down goes Brady....

To all of you that think we NEED a QB at #3 this year (none worthy at #3), once again... here is a CLASSIC example of the need for a solid defense. This years defenses prove once again, that a top D is the tonic this team needs. It will give this team the attitude this team and city needs. You want to grab a QB in the third? Ok... no issues, but that better be after a selection of a DE/DT and a LB. Buddy... SOLIDIFY the D through the draft AND through FA. Don't bank on Merriman being "the man"... he's an unknown at this time. Go draft help, go pay the $$ for FA help... The O can use an RT an TE and some depth too... BUT... I hope you're paying attention this post season... D, D, D, D, D, D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow really? Tell me what round of the draft the final 4 QBs were drafted in???? I'm sure this had nothing to do with them winning or anything like that...

Edited by mattsox

The Patriots Playoff Game Report Card in today's Boston Herald agrees with the OP.

They fooled you. You knew better, but they fooled you.

Much of the year you kept saying, “The defense is too shaky,’’ but they kept winning because they kept putting up 32 points a game until they sucked you in the way the ‘95 Chiefs did the fans in Kansas City.

That year the Chiefs went 13-3 and won home-field advantage throughout the playoffs, but Steve Bono was the quarterback and you knew he wasn’t good enough to win a championship, just like the 2010 Patriots defense, which Jets linebacker Bart Scott claimed Sunday “couldn’t stop a nose bleed.’’

When the day came that Tom Brady did not play up to MVP standards and Rex Ryan outcoached his hooded adversary, the defense couldn’t hold. All it could do was what it did all season — allow four touchdowns on the Jets’ five trips into the red zone, allow a 37-yard completion on third-and-6, allow a 58-yard bomb at the worst moment, allow a third-and-4 touchdown pass in the fourth quarter, one drive after the Patriots cut the lead to three.

As the Colts haven’t yet learned and the Rams never did, scoring gets you into the playoffs, but defense gets you the Lombardi Trophy.

Pats Playoff Report Card

Wow really? Tell me what round of the draft the final 4 QBs were drafted in???? I'm sure this had nothing to do with them winning or anything like that...

Lol... you're WAY behind the power curve man... I guess none of the defensive players on any of the teams were 1st round draft pics either? BTW... if you read the OP you'd see it has NOTHING to do with what round a QB was drafted. We SUCK way more on D than we do at QB, and there is NO QB on the board that should be drafted at #3. hell depending on who's there at D at #3, THEY might not be worthy of that slot...

Didn't both the Colts and Rams win a Super Bowl?

Colts/Bears SB was a match of two teams that had Indy/Chi both scoring the same pts a game (however if you remember that season, Chi had a TON of D and ST TD's), and Chi allowed approx 7 pts less than Indy on D. In that game Indy had both the better D and the better O. Indy also returned an INT for a defensive score to put that game away.

Rams/Titans SB... lol... the Rams were ranked #4 defensively. They only gave up 15.1 pts a game.

Like it or not and whether or not the Bills address their quarterback deficiency, they will continue to be at best a below average 7-9 type team until they find elite-level QB play.

True, and that's never been denied. Now, where do we get "said" savior?

Lol... you're WAY behind the power curve man... I guess none of the defensive players on any of the teams were 1st round draft pics either? BTW... if you read the OP you'd see it has NOTHING to do with what round a QB was drafted. We SUCK way more on D than we do at QB, and there is NO QB on the board that should be drafted at #3. hell depending on who's there at D at #3, THEY might not be worthy of that slot...

Wow dude you are way way way way out there.

So just out of hand ignoring that all 4 QBs left in the playoffs were drafted in the 1st round

is topped by

No player is "worthy" of the #3 draft pick.

Amazing!

Your mind is a scary thing.

You're probably of the crowd that "we must lose to get a better draft pick too. So that we have a better chance at drafting Super Man."

Now that you actually have taken the time to assess the draft do you realize there is not a huge difference in potential from pick #3 to #11?

If there is a guy you want you draft him. You're splitting hairs when it comes to the top 20 college players in the country.

So just out of hand ignoring that all 4 QBs left in the playoffs were drafted in the 1st round

is topped by

Amazing!

Your mind is a scary thing.

You're probably of the crowd that "we must lose to get a better draft pick too. So that we have a better chance at drafting Super Man."

Now that you actually have taken the time to assess the draft do you realize there is not a huge difference in potential from pick #3 to #11?

If there is a guy you want you draft him. You're splitting hairs when it comes to the top 20 college players in the country.

I'd never want to lose, but I did see the silver lining in doing so. I didn't pay $$ on my Sunday Ticket to watch the atrocity on D that I saw. I get it though, you're just one that refuses to see a point. Sorry about that, I can't help you there. Please try to go read the OP and see where II stand on this.

Check this out... it's a tad dated (from '07, so add your updated info from there), but it's still not far from the truth of things.

"Taking a look at quarterbacks drafted over a 20-year period from 1985-2005, the return on first-round investments is underwhelming. NFL teams drafted 242 quarterbacks overall during that time; of those, 43 were first-round selections. The average career for a first round pick through last year (2006) was 6.5 years and 70.3 games played with a 72.9 passer rating. The average league-wide passer rating was 77.3 during that same timeframe. Only 15 of those first-round quarterbacks (34.8%) have a career passer rating better than that mark. Only four of them have led the league in passer rating; only one of them--Peyton Manning--has done it more than once. Meanwhile, 12 have retired with fewer than 30 game appearances, and 11 have retired after five seasons or less".

?It's said that championships are the true measure of greatness. Among this group, only nine have appeared in Super Bowls, with six wins to show for it. Three of those wins are from the only current Hall of Famer among that group, Troy Aikman. Which means that sixth-round pick Tom Brady has as many Super Bowl victories (3) in the past five years as 42 first-rounders not named Aikman have achieved in the past 20".

So again, do the Bills need an elite QB? SURE, of course we do... where is he? Do you see him? I'm not splitting hairs... did you watch us this year?? WE SUCK on D, We have no clue how to stop the run (or is it no talent?), so I'd rather we spend the pick on a more immediate finger in the dike. Fitz, given the amout of time in the pocket as all of the other 4 still in the playoffs, and with a freaking good running game, AND with a Top 10 D would be just fine.

is topped by

I just saw this... you must be a journalism major. Nice way to write something and pass it off as fact. Now THAT is "amazing". I said depending on who's there, there MIGHT not be a player worthy of the #3 pick. Now, that's more along the lines of what we need. Do we need AJ Green? Do we need Patrick Peterson? Like I also said... if, IF there's a QB that they're that high on take him, but load the rest of the draft on D.

Uhhhh....Sanchez was the 5th overall pick and had 3 TD passes today. I think the Jets would consider him a franchise QB.

One was a great catch in the corner by Holmes, another was a good run by Tomlinson and another had Edwards breaking a tackle and carring a defender into the endzone. He is a competent QB, but nothing more than a compliment to the running game. The Jets have the most dominant offensive line since Dallas in the mid 1990's, their running game is as good as St. Louis' passing game was in their superbowl run.

I would consider Tom Brady, Joe Montana, Kurt Warner, Steve Young, Terry Bradshaw, Troy Aikman, Ben Roethlisberger, Peyton Manning, John Elway, to be "SB winning franchise QBs." Winning a Super Bowl has nothing to do with having or not having a franchise QB but it definately gives you a better chance of getting there.

Some teams get there BECAUSE of their franchise QBs like the above mentioned teams, and others make it there despite their QB.

I love how everyone fails to mention Sanchez's 180 yd and 1 INT against the Colts defense completing a miserable 53% of his passes. Great numbers Sanchez.

For someone who has weapons like Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes, Dustin Keller and Tomlinson coming out of the backfield, his numbers should be A LOT higher. Compared to Josh Freeman, who trumps Sanchez's numbers in every single cartegory, throwing to the likes of 2 rookies and an overrated "SOLDIER TE."

So, down goes Manning, down goes Brees, down goes Flacco, down goes Vick, down goes Ryan, down goes Brady....

To all of you that think we NEED a QB at #3 this year (none worthy at #3), once again... here is a CLASSIC example of the need for a solid defense. This years defenses prove once again, that a top D is the tonic this team needs. It will give this team the attitude this team and city needs. You want to grab a QB in the third? Ok... no issues, but that better be after a selection of a DE/DT and a LB. Buddy... SOLIDIFY the D through the draft AND through FA. Don't bank on Merriman being "the man"... he's an unknown at this time. Go draft help, go pay the $$ for FA help... The O can use an RT an TE and some depth too... BUT... I hope you're paying attention this post season... D, D, D, D, D, D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

More so than drafting a certain position, the Bills need to draft PLAYERS that contribute immediately and make the team better. The Bills probably don't need a safety the most, but would anyone here complain if they drafted a guy and he played as well as an Ed Reed or Troy Polamalu? Come to think of it, someone will complain no matter what happens. Anyhoo, I am more tired of seeing the Bills whiff on major picks, even on need positions (Mike Williams, JP Losman, John McCargo) than anything.

More so than drafting a certain position, the Bills need to draft PLAYERS that contribute immediately and make the team better. The Bills probably don't need a safety the most, but would anyone here complain if they drafted a guy and he played as well as an Ed Reed or Troy Polamalu? Come to think of it, someone will complain no matter what happens. Anyhoo, I am more tired of seeing the Bills whiff on major picks, even on need positions (Mike Williams, JP Losman, John McCargo) than anything.

I wont argue that at all. My scenario is "ideal" to what I think we need. Some mean SOB's on the DL/LB that can stop the 200 yd rushing games against us, AND get to the QB.

One was a great catch in the corner by Holmes, another was a good run by Tomlinson and another had Edwards breaking a tackle and carring a defender into the endzone. He is a competent QB, but nothing more than a compliment to the running game. The Jets have the most dominant offensive line since Dallas in the mid 1990's, their running game is as good as St. Louis' passing game was in their superbowl run.

One was an amazing catch by Holmes on a perfectly thrown ball. The other two were well placed throws that put his playmakers in a position to make plays.

You have to give credit where credit is due. Sanchez is developing into a very good QB and I would be thrilled if he were QB of the Bills. Don't discount the good things he has done to make you argument against him stronger. He is a big part of their offense. He is not great yet, but he's getting there and he comes through in the biggest games.

Reaching for players to contribute immediately is what has helped make us bad. Get players who will be good, we don't have to be significantly better next year to do that.

One was an amazing catch by Holmes on a perfectly thrown ball. The other two were well placed throws that put his playmakers in a position to make plays.

You have to give credit where credit is due. Sanchez is developing into a very good QB and I would be thrilled if he were QB of the Bills. Don't discount the good things he has done to make you argument against him stronger. He is a big part of their offense. He is not great yet, but he's getting there and he comes through in the biggest games.

In what way is he good? Because he plays well in ONE playoff game? Completing only 53% of his passes with a 73 QB rating and turning the ball over just as much as he scores TD's? Give me a break.

One was an amazing catch by Holmes on a perfectly thrown ball. The other two were well placed throws that put his playmakers in a position to make plays.You have to give credit where credit is due. Sanchez is developing into a very good QB and I would be thrilled if he were QB of the Bills. Don't discount the good things he has done to make you argument against him stronger. He is a big part of their offense. He is not great yet, but he's getting there and he comes through in the biggest games.

Not sure if anyone is saying Sanchez sucks. But the numbers don't lie. He's good... solid, and still yooung, so he should continue to get better, but to think he's "carrying" this team is a fantasy. I'm not saying that is your argument, but a lot of posters on here seems to not see how good Sanchez has it in NY. NOTHING helps a young QB than a great running game behind a premier O-line, AND a great D to help cover your mistakes.

The highlighted part above is more of a "he IS a 1st rd QB, he better be able to make those throws". Hell anyone playing QB past HS better be able to make those throws.

Reaching for players to contribute immediately is what has helped make us bad. Get players who will be good, we don't have to be significantly better next year to do that.

Drafting bad players is what has helped to make the Bills bad. Drafting better players will not only "get players who will be good", but will also get players that can "contribute immediately and make the team better".

Win-win.

I would say that the reason the Jets won yesterday is because of Revis/Cromartie shutting down Brady and making it impossible for him to get off passes. So I guess the only way to win is to draft DB's early!

Theres no right or wrong way to build a team. But the one thing that is obvious is that the best teams all have franchise QBs and good defences. Right now the Bills have neither.

Generally speaking, a defensive line and a defensive secondary are supposed to work as two complementary components of a defensive machine. The defensive line is supposed to provide pass pressure/hits and sacks as quickly as possible, while the defensive backs provide coverage for a long time to keep the QB from finding an open man. If it usually takes 5 seconds before a receiver gets open, and if the pass rush usually arrives after 3.5 seconds, the other team's quarterback will have few or no good options. The way the Jets' defense played against the Patriots was a textbook illustration of how that's supposed to work.

An ideal offense is basically the mirror image of the defense described above. The offensive line should be very good to give the quarterback a lot of time to throw. The receiving corps should be very good so that guys can get open quickly, or even catch the ball when they're covered. There's one other thing as well: the quarterback should be elite, and should maximize the opportunities his OL and receiving corps create for him. In the Patriots/Jets game, the Patriots seemed to lack all three components of that kind of elite offense. The Patriots' OL was dominated by the Jets' DL. The Patriots' receiving corps was dominated by the Jets' DBs. Even Tom Brady, elite quarterback though he is, didn't look anything remotely like an elite QB against the Jets.

As for the idea of the Bills using an early pick on a DB: the problem there is twofold. One is that over the last decade, there have been three times when the Bills' DB with the best combination of youth and proven accomplishment has been allowed to leave in free agency in the prime of his career. (Winfield, Clements, and Greer, with Whitner having one foot out the door.) Using a first round pick on a DB would be an exercise in futility if the plan is to let him go first contract and out. The second potential objection is that if you have a Darrell Revis as one of your DBs and a bunch of mediocre DBs everywhere else, the QB will simply ignore whichever receiver is being covered by your Revis. If your goal is to add (for example) 1.5 seconds to the amount of time the other team's receivers stay covered, you're going to need to do a lot more than draft just one guy. The strategy of drafting a slew of DBs to increase average coverage duration is difficult to pursue for a team like the Bills because there are so many holes across the board. Conversely, if the other team normally has 5 seconds to throw, and you want to reduce that to 3.5 seconds, the addition of just one elite defensive lineman--such as a Bruce Smith--will go a very long way toward achieving that.

Not sure if anyone is saying Sanchez sucks. But the numbers don't lie. He's good... solid, and still yooung, so he should continue to get better, but to think he's "carrying" this team is a fantasy. I'm not saying that is your argument, but a lot of posters on here seems to not see how good Sanchez has it in NY. NOTHING helps a young QB than a great running game behind a premier O-line, AND a great D to help cover your mistakes.

The highlighted part above is more of a "he IS a 1st rd QB, he better be able to make those throws". Hell anyone playing QB past HS better be able to make those throws.

I'll say it, Sanchez sucks. Sure, he made a few nice plays against Patsies, but he also made a lot of bad ones. He's not carrying the Jets, the Jets are carrying Sanchez. If he played for Buffalo we'd be running him out of town on the next bus. People complain about Fitz low completion percentage. What's Sanchez'? And this is with the benefit of a great defense and a great offensive line and darn good run game and an all star receiving corps.

If the Jets had a good QB they'd probably go all the way this year. Sanchez is holding them back.

If he didn't have that monster D that held one of the most prolific offenses in 2011 down to 21 points they would have lost. No way Sanchez wins in a shoot out or if his team can't survive multiple drive ending horrendous throws.

Edited by reddogblitz