Local Man loses life savings out of his bedroom

bbb

Ex-Chef. I only cook for fun now, not for profit. And it is soooooo much better that way.

Oh, got it. Well, I wouldn't tell your clients to put their money in their pillowcases.

My mother is 84 and she's been in assisted living for 3 years. Now, she doesn't care about money at all. She gets manicures and pedicures and tips everybody more than she ever did before.

One of the big signs that she had to go in to assisted living was that she couldn't handle her money anymore. She was doing crazy stuff like mailing in bank statements to the utilities instead of a check. (It was in the right amount though!)

She obviously wasn't too high on the idea, but now says it's the best thing she ever did. It's amazing how friendly and happy all the residents are. So, if you have clients that just can't manage a house anymore, but shouldn't be in a nursing home, I've really become an advocate for these places!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks! I'll tell my mom not to call you for financial advice! :lol:

She's 84 getting pedicures and manicures. She doesn't need my help. It's the 30,40,50,60 somethings that want to be in that situation at the age of 84 that need my help. And I'm happy to oblige.

She's 84 getting pedicures and manicures. She doesn't need my help. It's the 30,40,50,60 somethings that want to be in that situation at the age of 84 that need my help. And I'm happy to oblige.

Tell them to become teachers. She didn't become wealthy, but she did get a good pension!

She actually went back to teaching after 20 years or so of raising us, just to get her pension back to the level it is. So, she did earn it.

I'm sure you run into people like me, who in their 20s, didn't put as much in their IRAs, etc. as they could have. Now a few decades later, what I did put in has compounded so much that I'm grateful for that, but also say - Damn, I should have put in double!

You know it really is a sad story. I work with seniors a lot with their money. They're in a tough spot. CD's paying ****, stock funds too aggressive, bond funds facing a potential bubble. There are a few things to do for them but it's not easy. I had my dad (82) take 50% of his money out of a great bond fund and put it in the bank. What's he making on it? Nothing but we don't have to worry about losing anything and I don't have to take those calls anymore of "Jim, my fund price dropped $.02 per share." :wallbash: Save lots and start early folks or this may be you (not my dad, this guy). I'm in the business of helping people and that picture of that guy broke my heart.

This post needs it's own thread.

Chef Jim has a heart?

I probably shouldn't have called him an asshat, because he does indeed seem like a decent guy, and not all that worried about the money.

I just think that his actions are so stupid, and I can't think of another word. It's just a matter of time before this would happen. Plus, he's losing money by not keeping up with inflation all those years.

And, he must have been born in 1930 or 31, so his memory would only go back to the tail-end of the Depression. Not sure how much that would factor into your thinking..........My mother was born in '26, so she remembers pretty much the whole thing. Yet, she's also heard of FDIC and therefore doesn't keep all her money in her bedroom.

My parents are the same age as this guy...they also have a Depression era mentality about a lot of things, which I, unwittingly have inherited, to a degree.

I hate banks, but I use them, as do my parents. But, we do other things...like use something, no matter how inexpensive they are to replace, until they absolutely will not function again...they save things that "they might need" some day...but, how many times, at 80, are they going to need an empty coffee can? Maybe once? So, why not toss the other 20 on your storage shelf? These things are ingrained in people, and handed down...I will wear a pair of sneakers until they are coming apart at the seams. I didn't even realize how odd this was, until I started living with my (now ex) girlfriend, about 8 years ago...she would get so frustrated because I woudl insist on "fixing" things, rather than replacing them.

I feel bad for this guy...people suck.

My parents are the same age as this guy...they also have a Depression era mentality about a lot of things, which I, unwittingly have inherited, to a degree.

I hate banks, but I use them, as do my parents. But, we do other things...like use something, no matter how inexpensive they are to replace, until they absolutely will not function again...they save things that "they might need" some day...but, how many times, at 80, are they going to need an empty coffee can? Maybe once? So, why not toss the other 20 on your storage shelf? These things are ingrained in people, and handed down...I will wear a pair of sneakers until they are coming apart at the seams. I didn't even realize how odd this was, until I started living with my (now ex) girlfriend, about 8 years ago...she would get so frustrated because I woudl insist on "fixing" things, rather than replacing them.

Exactly... I am the saem way... :wallbash: :wallbash:

I just can't resolve the "throw away" culture. By far I do NOT hoard... But it is amazing when driving down the street on gabage day how much people consume in their life!:ph34r:

The only things I hang on to are electronics. I think people are slaves to the latests gadgets (see my sig line). My blackberry was a mess. All scratched and beat up. So my assistant changed phones and gave me her blackberry so I got a "new" phone for free. No flat screens in our house.

This post needs it's own thread.

Chef Jim has a heart?

Sure, if you pay me. :D

The only things I hang on to are electronics. I think people are slaves to the latests gadgets (see my sig line). My blackberry was a mess. All scratched and beat up. So my assistant changed phones and gave me her blackberry so I got a "new" phone for free. No flat screens in our house.

Sure, if you pay me. :D

It was tough but I finally replaced my 14 year old 27" TV. Bought my first LCD, couldn't beat the prices.

I run my vehicles into the ground. Get every penny out of them.

It was tough but I finally replaced my 14 year old 27" TV. Bought my first LCD, couldn't beat the prices.

I run my vehicles into the ground. Get every penny out of them.

I had a halloween party a few years ago. We had the house all decorated. One of my co-workers that Monday said "you know what the scariest part of your house was? Your TV!"

I used to run my cars to the ground but then I got a real nice car about 3 years ago and and just love driving it. As a matter of fact I lease it so I'll be getting a new car every three years. However when I'm retired I can see myself going back to driving my cars forever.

Stayed at a real nice hotel last weekend and they can flat screen HD TVs and man it was nice but I just don't watch that much TV.

Edited by Chef Jim

Exactly... I am the saem way... :wallbash: :wallbash:

I just can't resolve the "throw away" culture. By far I do NOT hoard... But it is amazing when driving down the street on gabage day how much people consume in their life!:ph34r:

Funny that you bring up your spendthriftness. I was using my iphone pocket tunes last night to listen to the Sabres game and thinking about how much I love that pocket tunes app. I get just about any station or network in the country (and somehow it records, too I just figured out - but I have to figure out how to use it).

So, I'm thinking last night Man, that is great and it only cost $7.95. Then, I thought about the thread last year where somebody asked how they can listen to WECK. I said I just downloaded this thing and it seems to work really good. You then replied to that that cost too much and you found something cheaper.........I said yeah those 8 bucks really set me back (it's a one time payment, not a monthly fee).

You guys make me feel like I live large!

While you may think he is an :censored: keep in mind he grew up in a very different time period. My Grandmother who also grew up in the depression insisted that I should not go to my grandfather's funeral because I had just started a new job. Her take on it was that having a job and a good reputation with your employer is very important. That generation watched many suffer due to bank failure, unemployment and economic chaos.

He seems like a very decent guy. Hopefully the police find out who did this to him and he is able to get his money back.

My mother was born in 1918

When she died in 1996, my brothers and I went to the bank and spent a couple hours with her safe deposit box splitting up our inheritance. She even had 5's and 10's in there. We kept the window shade closed so the IRS couldn't see us

All I was saying is I agree with the guy. He doesn't like banks....neither do I.

I was one of the last people at my work to get a real paycheck instead of direct deposit. For the past 20 years or so, most of my money went via direct deposit into my credit union checking account with the rest being a real paycheck which grew over the years.

About a month ago, the payrool idiots said that paystubs would be issued via email starting in 2011, so instead of being the only idiot who had to jump through hoops to hunt down his paycheck, I signed up for direct deposit...To me--welcome to 1985...I feel so modern

The problem is that now my wife can track the "momma don't know fund" which I use for liquor, fast food guitars and amps.

Speaking of the "momma don't know fund", I am so proud of the way my 20 watt marshall amp grew to a 50 watt amp and then an 80 watt amp and then a 100 watt amp without my wife noticing the difference because they looked the same even though they grew...just like the kids

Edited by Bills99999

Funny that you bring up your spendthriftness. I was using my iphone pocket tunes last night to listen to the Sabres game and thinking about how much I love that pocket tunes app. I get just about any station or network in the country (and somehow it records, too I just figured out - but I have to figure out how to use it).

So, I'm thinking last night Man, that is great and it only cost $7.95. Then, I thought about the thread last year where somebody asked how they can listen to WECK. I said I just downloaded this thing and it seems to work really good. You then replied to that that cost too much and you found something cheaper.........I said yeah those 8 bucks really set me back (it's a one time payment, not a monthly fee).

You guys make me feel like I live large!

:lol:

Cripes... I pulled the text of the game(s) off the mobile web of my 5 year old Verizon phone... It is all included in the price of my cell service! Nothing but text and summary... Maybe what the last play was... I gotta keep refreshing too. My wife thinks I am crazy! :blush:

I have had Sirius radio (no NHL) for the last 7 years... Yet, I got basic cable and only ONE 20 year old 20" GE TV in the family castle. :P

:lol:

Cripes... I pulled the text of the game(s) off the mobile web of my 5 year old Verizon phone... It is all included in the price of my cell service! Nothing but text and summary... Maybe what the last play was... I gotta keep refreshing too. My wife thinks I am crazy! :blush:

I have had Sirius radio (no NHL) for the last 7 years... Yet, I got basic cable and only ONE 20 year old 20" GE TV in the family castle. :P

Why don't you switch to XM so you can get the NHL, if you're already paying that company?

This is actually one thing I think I'm dropping. I got XM in order to listen to the Yankees when GR dropped them. But, now WECK carries them (every game, too - unlike GR) and rarely use my XM for anything. I'm so into podcasts, I have no time for XM.

Why don't you switch to XM so you can get the NHL, if you're already paying that company?

This is actually one thing I think I'm dropping. I got XM in order to listen to the Yankees when GR dropped them. But, now WECK carries them (every game, too - unlike GR) and rarely use my XM for anything. I'm so into podcasts, I have no time for XM.

I thought about it... Getting that "Best of XM:" thingy... I liked when Sirius had NHL... Yet, I am not really around to listen... I like glancing down and getting a text update... Especially out on the wall at work... It is funny, I really got sharp with my math... When a team is on a PP and what not... It is amazing how much you can tell what is going on from just raw stats like shots, hits, takeaways, giveaways, etc.. etc...

What I liked about sat radio was the live score read out... I could glance and get the "ticker"... If I listen, I will get too engrossed into the game and tune-out... Kinda like when I was young and would have the transistor under the pillow catching the late west-coast games! :blush:

I thought about it... Getting that "Best of XM:" thingy... I liked when Sirius had NHL... Yet, I am not really around to listen... I like glancing down and getting a text update... Especially out on the wall at work... It is funny, I really got sharp with my math... When a team is on a PP and what not... It is amazing how much you can tell what is going on from just raw stats like shots, hits, takeaways, giveaways, etc.. etc...

What I liked about sat radio was the live score read out... I could glance and get the "ticker"... If I listen, I will get too engrossed into the game and tune-out... Kinda like when I was young and would have the transistor under the pillow catching the late west-coast games! :blush:

You work on a wall?

I really do like that ticket score read out, too.....I don't need it so much for the Yankees, but I'd imagine if you listened to Rick J do the Sabres it would be invaluable. He never ever resets the score, time, etc. for the radio listeners.

So, if you aren't around to listen, what's a self-acknowledged tightwad like you doing paying for Sirius??

You work on a wall?

I really do like that ticket score read out, too.....I don't need it so much for the Yankees, but I'd imagine if you listened to Rick J do the Sabres it would be invaluable. He never ever resets the score, time, etc. for the radio listeners.

So, if you aren't around to listen, what's a self-acknowledged tightwad like you doing paying for Sirius??

Yes...

:oops: I was using slang... When I am outside... Slang for the structure is called a "wall"... On the prints of the place they call it an esplanade... Again... Sorry for putting in slang... Think of it like when you pass through Black Rock on the Niagara Section between Amherst Street and Austin Street... It is one giant wall/wide esplanade.

Notice the "Walls"

There is the "short wall" or "I-wall" (looks like an "I") and then there is the "long wall" or "river wall"... Upper "guide wall" or lower "guide wall."

I use Sirius in the car and at home... Still using my old Sportster between the two docking stations. :wallbash: I like the music channels and then rip off of that when I want the song... There is always music playing in the house. Yet, now that I have a wireless sound card from my computer to stereo rig... I find myself listening to free stuff off the computer. Listening to the games would make me too up tight!! :lol:

True about the Rick J thing... It is the one thing I miss, would also raise my level of intensity! When my son was 5, one of his quotes about Rick J was:

"He gets paid to blurt out?"

:D

I probably should drop the sat radio and lose the bill... Only a small bit a month and still sorta keeps me "legal!";)