Local Man loses life savings out of his bedroom

bbb

I feel bad for this guy, but also think he's an asshat. He doesn't trust banks, so he keeps all his money in his bedroom, and of course, it gets stolen.

One quote:

"My uncle Harry Young from Atlanta, Ga., told me when I was growing up, 'Bobby, you save a penny, then another, and soon you have a nickel.' That's how your money grows," McBride said Tuesday afternoon

Actually, Mr. McBride, if you keep your money in your bedroom, it doesn't grow at all. There's something called interest at banks (not good now, but used to be very good).

http://www.buffalonews.com/city/communities/buffalo/article309782.ece

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel bad for this guy, but also think he's an asshat. He doesn't trust banks, so he keeps all his money in his bedroom, and of course, it gets stolen.

One quote:

"My uncle Harry Young from Atlanta, Ga., told me when I was growing up, 'Bobby, you save a penny, then another, and soon you have a nickel.' That's how your money grows," McBride said Tuesday afternoon

Actually, Mr. McBride, if you keep your money in your bedroom, it doesn't grow at all. There's something called interest at banks (not good now, but used to be very good).

I have a renter in one of my apartments, 75 years old who always pays the rent in cash. I always wondered about it till I discovered he owes 32,000 in back child support[yes a 75 year old 32 grand behind on child support].

I suspect he is afraid to open a bank account because he thinks Social services will take his money

WTF - how old are his kids?!?

I don't know. I heard him say one was 22. But if you don't pay the back amount it is still owed, even past the point of your kids age ending the obligation for new payments. With interest, I might add.

He never files for a Alaska dividend check because it will be taken by social services. Cost him $3200 in 2008.

I don't know. I heard him say one was 22. But if you don't pay the back amount it is still owed, even past the point of your kids age ending the obligation for new payments. With interest, I might add.

He never files for a Alaska dividend check because it will be taken by social services. Cost him $3200 in 2008.

Sounds lke a real genuis.

If they take it, doesn't it reduce what he owes?

One quote:

So, the mostly likely culprits are the window installers. But what if the neighbor lady used them as a cover.

My money is on the landlord/building manager.

While you may think he is an :censored: keep in mind he grew up in a very different time period. My Grandmother who also grew up in the depression insisted that I should not go to my grandfather's funeral because I had just started a new job. Her take on it was that having a job and a good reputation with your employer is very important. That generation watched many suffer due to bank failure, unemployment and economic chaos.

He seems like a very decent guy. Hopefully the police find out who did this to him and he is able to get his money back.

While you may think he is an :censored: keep in mind he grew up in a very different time period. My Grandmother who also grew up in the depression insisted that I should not go to my grandfather's funeral because I had just started a new job. Her take on it was that having a job and a good reputation with your employer is very important. That generation watched many suffer due to bank failure, unemployment and economic chaos.

He seems like a very decent guy. Hopefully the police find out who did this to him and he is able to get his money back.

I probably shouldn't have called him an asshat, because he does indeed seem like a decent guy, and not all that worried about the money.

I just think that his actions are so stupid, and I can't think of another word. It's just a matter of time before this would happen. Plus, he's losing money by not keeping up with inflation all those years.

And, he must have been born in 1930 or 31, so his memory would only go back to the tail-end of the Depression. Not sure how much that would factor into your thinking..........My mother was born in '26, so she remembers pretty much the whole thing. Yet, she's also heard of FDIC and therefore doesn't keep all her money in her bedroom.

I probably shouldn't have called him an asshat, because he does indeed seem like a decent guy, and not all that worried about the money.

I just think that his actions are so stupid, and I can't think of another word. It's just a matter of time before this would happen. Plus, he's losing money by not keeping up with inflation all those years.

And, he must have been born in 1930 or 31, so his memory would only go back to the tail-end of the Depression. Not sure how much that would factor into your thinking..........My mother was born in '26, so she remembers pretty much the whole thing. Yet, she's also heard of FDIC and therefore doesn't keep all her money in her bedroom.

Hard to argue - seems like he should have at least bought a fireproof safe to put his $$ in. Agreed that he also could have educated himself a bit about the FDIC.

Got it. I don't keep it in the house either. I'm a bank robber. I tell people what to do with their money and it ain't put it in the bank.

Well, if you're talking about mutual funds and such, this guy sure wasn't about to do that. He didn't even trust FDIC insured banks.

Yeah, it worked out well for him...

You know it really is a sad story. I work with seniors a lot with their money. They're in a tough spot. CD's paying ****, stock funds too aggressive, bond funds facing a potential bubble. There are a few things to do for them but it's not easy. I had my dad (82) take 50% of his money out of a great bond fund and put it in the bank. What's he making on it? Nothing but we don't have to worry about losing anything and I don't have to take those calls anymore of "Jim, my fund price dropped $.02 per share." :wallbash: Save lots and start early folks or this may be you (not my dad, this guy). I'm in the business of helping people and that picture of that guy broke my heart.

You know it really is a sad story. I work with seniors a lot with their money. They're in a tough spot. CD's paying ****, stock funds too aggressive, bond funds facing a potential bubble. There are a few things to do for them but it's not easy. I had my dad (82) take 50% of his money out of a great bond fund and put it in the bank. What's he making on it? Nothing but we don't have to worry about losing anything and I don't have to take those calls anymore of "Jim, my fund price dropped $.02 per share." :wallbash: Save lots and start early folks or this may be you (not my dad, this guy). I'm in the business of helping people and that picture of that guy broke my heart.

I thought you were a chef???