Aren't Whitner and Poz restricted free agents

Without a cap I thought players needed 6 years in the NFL before they could become Unrestricted, so that would make Whitner and Poz restricted.

Could this be why Whitner is so upset because he thought he would cash in this year but the CBA wont allow it until a new deal is reached?

Edited by TheTruthHurts

Without a cap I thought players needed 6 years in the NFL before they could become Unrestricted, so that would make Whitner and Poz restricted.

Could this be why Whitner is so upset because he thought he would cash in this year but the CBA wont allow it until a new deal is reached?

Technically yes, but for all intents and purposes, no. The CBA expires on March 3rd, and without a new CBA in place, there will be no free agency, as well as no player for player or player for pick trading. The 6 year rule was only put in place for this year's "no cap" season. You can be sure that when a new CBA is agreed upon, and player movement resumes, the time until a player hits UFA status will be back to the normal 4 years, or possibly even less.

Technically yes, but for all intents and purposes, no. The CBA expires on March 3rd, and without a new CBA in place, there will be no free agency, as well as no player for player or player for pick trading. The 6 year rule was only put in place for this year's "no cap" season. You can be sure that when a new CBA is agreed upon, and player movement resumes, the time until a player hits UFA status will be back to the normal 4 years, or possibly even less.

It will be whatever the owners want it to be within reason...the players know they are getting ready to take it up the arse and there is precious little they can do about it...

Now here's where things get exciting for us - FA doesn't open until AFTER the draft I believe. This allows BPA all the way, then filling holes with free agents. Now this sounds like you'd get bidding wars since teams would have a "must fill" list and go more aggressively but with some 300 rfa players last season plus the lack of extensions this year, talent should be VERY deep, coupled with rookies filling holes first leaves a lot of guys on the market competing for less starting spots.. Add that ther might not be a traditional franchise tag and a team like us could wait to make a move on a player like ngata until after we know if we get fairley at 3 (just an example). We could also try to fill CB, SS, RT etc.... Through the draft first.

Now here's where things get exciting for us - FA doesn't open until AFTER the draft I believe. This allows BPA all the way, then filling holes with free agents. Now this sounds like you'd get bidding wars since teams would have a "must fill" list and go more aggressively but with some 300 rfa players last season plus the lack of extensions this year, talent should be VERY deep, coupled with rookies filling holes first leaves a lot of guys on the market competing for less starting spots.. Add that ther might not be a traditional franchise tag and a team like us could wait to make a move on a player like ngata until after we know if we get fairley at 3 (just an example). We could also try to fill CB, SS, RT etc.... Through the draft first.

FA opens well before the draft, unless I've missed something with this CBA business. FA usually opens the first week of March "I believe, which is likely the same March 3rd deadline that we keep talking about for the CBA.

FA opens well before the draft, unless I've missed something with this CBA business. FA usually opens the first week of March "I believe, which is likely the same March 3rd deadline that we keep talking about for the CBA.

But if no CBA is reached then league business ceases thus no free agency however the draft will go on as scheduled regardless of the labor situation so it is possible, perhaps even likely, that this season the draft will happen before free agency opens.

Edited by Erik

But if no CBA is reached then league business ceases thus no free agency however the draft will go on as scheduled regardless of the labor situation so it is possible, perhaps even likely, that this season the draft will happen before free agency opens.

Excellent points brother.

If there is no CBA in place on march 3rd, it could be a long time until we get a free agency period. But the nfl has said over and over that the draft will take place at the time it was origionally planned. It is free agency that is the questionmark.