Defense wins championships

Fitzpatrick's surprising play has benefitted us to the point where we can put off drafting a QB. Luck may not declare and if he does, will not be there when we draft and trading up is not an option.

There's no sense reaching for a QB, especially when we've got other holes to fill.

A lot depends on how free agency shakes out for us. I don't anticipate any big-name signings. I hope we re-sign Posluszny, he's solid. I would like to retain Whitner as well but he's not worth the money he's seeking.

The Bills ranked 25th in total offense and 24th in total defense, so help is needed everywhere. Most telling however, is that we ranked dead last in rush defense. This has to stop.

I think we should go heavy on the defense. I like DE Da'Quan Bowers and OLB Von Miller. We need to bolster the front seven, big time. Either of these two guys could help us out tremendously and immediately. These guys are NFL-ready. I really like Miller as that 3-4 edge rusher we've been sorely lacking. The Butkus winner had 10 sacks this year and 17 last year. That's consistent, big time production. And at 6'3 and 243lbs with 4.6 speed, he's a gamer. Bowers was the top recrit coming out of high school and is a big boy who has been simply unblockable this year. He could easily line up at end and be our new Bruce Smith.

The front seven should be this team's priority. Everything else will fall into place after that. We need pass rushers and run stuffers. If we can do that, we'll see more turnovers, more sacks and more 3-and-outs for opposing teams. The defense gets off the field and the offense gets on it and puts up points. That's how you win football games, IMO.

Thoughts?

Take Bowers. Dude could be special. He has the most potential to electrify our defense and that's what we need. He can rush the passer with power and speed and he plays the run well to he holds the gap and plays with strength and discipline. Also, trade of Albert Haynesworthless and make him good again.

Take Bowers. Dude could be special. He has the most potential to electrify our defense and that's what we need. He can rush the passer with power and speed and he plays the run well to he holds the gap and plays with strength and discipline. Also, trade of Albert Haynesworthless and make him good again.

Haynesworth doesn't want to play in a 3-4 for a team that is paying him primo bucks, and a highly regarded coach in this league with a reputation as a winner (not that I think much of Shanny). Why would he ever want to play for the Bills in a 3-4? To say nothing of Ralph taking on that contract. I don't think RW's as cheap as he is unwise in who he throws his money at, but AH's contract is way beyond this (and most any) team's budget.

As for Bowers, I don't know him from Fairley from Dareus - at least not well enough to make judgments - but I'll cross my fingers that the talent evaluators will find the right guy for this team. The Bills most certainly need help across the front 7.

Haynesworth doesn't want to play in a 3-4 for a team that is paying him primo bucks, and a highly regarded coach in this league with a reputation as a winner (not that I think much of Shanny). Why would he ever want to play for the Bills in a 3-4? To say nothing of Ralph taking on that contract. I don't think RW's as cheap as he is unwise in who he throws his money at, but AH's contract is way beyond this (and most any) team's budget.

As for Bowers, I don't know him from Fairley from Dareus - at least not well enough to make judgments - but I'll cross my fingers that the talent evaluators will find the right guy for this team. The Bills most certainly need help across the front 7.

It's simple. Stop playing the 3-4. We would then have talented lineman across the board starting in positions where they can destroy people and we would have some real bulk for depth. We really have 0 proven good LBers any how regardless of how you think certain people can play in certain schemes so this would also eliminate one position of need there.

It's simple. Stop playing the 3-4. We would then have talented lineman across the board starting in positions where they can destroy people and we would have some real bulk for depth. We really have 0 proven good LBers any how regardless of how you think certain people can play in certain schemes so this would also eliminate one position of need there.

I don't think scrapping the 3-4 is the answer when they've begun drafting to accommodate it. I also don't think a malcontent like Haynesworth is going to ever be anything other than a malcontent. He has an attitude issue, and Gailey has way more important work to do than fixing an overpaid (and yes, talented) crybaby's attitude issues. Even though Jeff Fisher has lost his team he is not a stupid dude, and if he couldn't put up with Haynesworth on his defense, nobody can. It says it all that he has a problem coming to work to play, when he is getting paid a ridiculous amount to do so.

Just don't be a bust. That's all I ask is whatever player they get he actually be a good one. Philosophically I would like to get an OLB pass rusher or a DE round one, RT round 2, and MLB round 2b (Trade back up into round 2 with our 3rd and 4th), and Tightend round 4.

But it all depends on what players are available.

I, too, am of the opinion that fixing the defense is the right way to approach the offseason. I know the typical approach to building teams is draft a little of this, a little of that, and year by year erect a decent offense and defense. But - and, I've said this before - when we add a little to each unit, by the time we have guys developed, others are on their way out, and we never seem to see a real, total unit evolve - at least, not since the early 90's.

So, why not just spend one offseason fixing one unit - and, in this case, the defense. I mean, as bad as we were this year, we only really need 3 to 4 really good starters to fix it. A DE, 2 linebackers, and a NT or maybe a corner... anyway, we have some talent on D already - in Moats, Carrington, K. Williams, Merriman (if he gets healthy) and our secondary is adequate if we could stop the run and pressure the QB. Batten could be decent, Coleman was o.k., Poz is o.k. Just throw the draft at the problem of defense - if that is what it takes - and then we can let it play together and be good for the next four years, and guys like K. Williams can see their prime years not wasted.

Then, next year, we finish off the offense. Doing it this way we allow the units to grow together, and after two years we need only maintain the whole, adding a replacement player or two per year. I think this is the best approach for us. If we could put together a great Defense going into next year, our offense, just carrying over this year's squad, would be good enough to win us 10 - 12 games, if our D could manage to limit the opposition to under, say, 16 points.

Also, with this approach, you look to create a unit in a certain mold - instead of trying this part and that, tinker fashion, year in and out. I want to see a really nasty, mean, hard as a brick wall defense, champions, not just o.k, or good, but great.

Here's the all Defense draft,

1.(3) Marcell Dareus DE, Alabama.

2.(35) Martez Wilson ILB, Illnois.

3(67) Sam Acho OLB, Texas.

4a.(99) Lavonte David SS, Nebraska.

4b.(109) Jabaal Sheard OLB, Pittsburgh.

5. (131) Casey Matthews ILB, Oregon.

6. (163) Chimdi Chekwa CB, Ohio St.

7. (195) Tydreke Powell NT, North Carolina.

that worked in the 70s and 80s, but it isn't so true anymore. The NFL is a QB driven league. If you look at the vast majority of teams that have won the super bowl recently, they almost all had a very good QB.

Pittsburgh, New Orleans, New England, Indianapolis, NY Giants, etc...

In fact, of the last 18 super bowl winners, only 3 of them had QBs that you could say were average to below average(Tampa Bay, Baltimore, Washington)

Bottom Line: if you want to win a lot of games in the NFL, get a very good QB...

Edited by matter2003

that worked in the 70s and 80s, but it isn't so true anymore. The NFL is a QB driven league. If you look at the vast majority of teams that have won the super bowl recently, they almost all had a very good QB.

In fact, of the last 18 super bowl winners, only 3 of them had QBs that you could say were average to below average(Tampa Bay, Baltimore, Washington)

Bottom Line: if you want to win a lot of games in the NFL, get a very good QB...

Yeah, I agree. Problem is, there's only one Franchise QB in this draft, and he may not even declare. Since Fitz has been good, we can put off drafting a QB for at least another year or two until there's one we really want. I'm not sold on Locker, Mallett or Newton.

Yeah, I agree. Problem is, there's only one Franchise QB in this draft, and he may not even declare. Since Fitz has been good, we can put off drafting a QB for at least another year or two until there's one we really want. I'm not sold on Locker, Mallett or Newton.

The only QB thats worth the #3 overall pick is luck. If Locker, Mallett or Newton are available when the Bills pick in the second round I would take them. I would not trade up though, we need all the picks we can get.

Fitzpatrick's surprising play has benefitted us to the point where we can put off drafting a QB. Luck may not declare and if he does, will not be there when we draft and trading up is not an option.

There's no sense reaching for a QB, especially when we've got other holes to fill.

A lot depends on how free agency shakes out for us. I don't anticipate any big-name signings. I hope we re-sign Posluszny, he's solid. I would like to retain Whitner as well but he's not worth the money he's seeking.

The Bills ranked 25th in total offense and 24th in total defense, so help is needed everywhere. Most telling however, is that we ranked dead last in rush defense. This has to stop.

I think we should go heavy on the defense. I like DE Da'Quan Bowers and OLB Von Miller. We need to bolster the front seven, big time. Either of these two guys could help us out tremendously and immediately. These guys are NFL-ready. I really like Miller as that 3-4 edge rusher we've been sorely lacking. The Butkus winner had 10 sacks this year and 17 last year. That's consistent, big time production. And at 6'3 and 243lbs with 4.6 speed, he's a gamer. Bowers was the top recrit coming out of high school and is a big boy who has been simply unblockable this year. He could easily line up at end and be our new Bruce Smith.

The front seven should be this team's priority. Everything else will fall into place after that. We need pass rushers and run stuffers. If we can do that, we'll see more turnovers, more sacks and more 3-and-outs for opposing teams. The defense gets off the field and the offense gets on it and puts up points. That's how you win football games, IMO.

Thoughts?

Sorry, but the QBs are what win you the championships now. This is line of thought is old hat, that defense wins championships. QBs are setup to succeed in the NFL. I'm all for Good defense and the Bills fixing theirs, via draft and Free Agency. Alot of this could have been fixed have the Bills went after Julius Peppers and Carlos Dansby last offseason, but the powers that be thought they were so smart and knew what they had. Nix and Gailey obviously failed in the 2010 offeason. It's now the 2011 offseason and now they must come out swinging to turn this thing around. I'm all for the Defense, but if Andrew Luck comes out and is sitting at #3, you take him no questions asked. QBs score the points and win the championships now!

You say: "As for Bowers, I don't know him from Fairley from Dareus - at least not well enough to make judgments - but I'll cross my fingers that the talent evaluators will find the right guy for this team."

Yeah, they've done such a good job of it lately?

+1.....100 %

Fitzpatrick's surprising play has benefitted us to the point where we can put off drafting a QB.

Who was surprised by Fitzpatrick's well below-average play? I mean, I wasn't surprised to see him have an 80 quarterback rating, with a nearly 1:1 TD to INT ratio, and sub-58% completion percentage...

You say: "As for Bowers, I don't know him from Fairley from Dareus - at least not well enough to make judgments - but I'll cross my fingers that the talent evaluators will find the right guy for this team."

Yeah, they've done such a good job of it lately?

Hence hoping for good luck rather than saying I'm confident about it.

I agree. You need a legitimate defense but it does not have to be special nowadays. It's a QB driven league. Defense may win you the Championship game, but you won't even sniff that game if you don't have a good QB and offense.

I'm not saying we neglect the offense for the defense's sake. I'm saying, if we can't draft Luck (or Gabbert) with our first rounder, why not just fix our defense this year, and then next year go after our QB, and fix whatever is left wrong with the offense then? I mean, when I say fix our defense this year with the draft, I don't mean not draft a really highly rated player that has slipped to us if he happens to be on the offense side. I just mean do what you have to do to fix the defense now - without putting any position of need off until next year, and then go about the offense next year with that same resolve.

If our coaches would take that approach to both sides in one offseason, going hard after key free agents, and really draft wisely, then I'd be for that.

As for the QB driven league, and offense wins - I get it, but if we can't get the top guy(s), then why waste a second or third on a QB who will likely not be starter/franchise material, when you can much easier find high end level linebackers or D-lineman in the second round.

Just one approach of many possible ones - I think it is just that I want to believe our team has a strategy, that they envision and are working towards having a really great team, not just filling seats and being competitive, or smart, or patient...