Poz would like to stay a Bill

:oops: Well, average might be a compliment ... he is always pushed back by anyone who blocks him and can't throw the block. He never ever is able to keep pace in pass coverage with running backs and/or tight ends. Now, he is average when he is not blocked in making tackles although frequently the player he is trying to tackle pushes the Poz back a few more yards before he is pulled down.

So, if we resign him then he needs to be told he is going to be a back-up in 2011 and let him decide whether it is worth developing some strength to make tackles and some nastyness to be a force in the middle.

I am already thinking that with his history of injuries and below average play that there are plenty of other below average linebackes who would show more enthusiasm about making a base player's salary than Poz shows making his.

And, I really truly was a Poz backer before this season ... the last few games I have focused on him and I was so wrong before! :wallbash: Why do the Bills always do so poorly when we draft from Penn State?

There was a thread a while back defending Poz that asserted a linebacker, who is usually smaller than an OL, cannot be expected to play off blocks by such players. In watching some highlights of games yesterday, there were a couple of plays by other defenses where defensive backs, coming on a blitz, were able to use their hands and feet, defeat an offensive lineman and make a tackle for a loss in the offensive backfield.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2011/01/02/poz-would-like-to-stay-a-bill/

So if the bills wants to keep poz, how much you think he worth?

The morons in this front office will let him go, they already signed a injury riddled Merriman who is a shadow of himself when he does play, which will probably be about an average of 2-3 games a season for the two years that they signed him for. Poz is weak in pass coverage but he is a tackling machine, who was caught in the middle of the defense conversion to a 3-4 that didn't work at all.

Keep him. Keep Whitner. Keep Florence. Keep Wilson.

Sorry, like them or not, you have to keep even your average players in order to build a franchise. Or else you are constantly RE-building.

Re-sign them and then, if nothing else, they are the low standard to add higher talent to/around.

I completely agree Dankster. I laugh at everyone saying we should cut all these guys when here we sit with a massive amount of cap room (barring any league changes) and we have so many needs at other spots. Cut Florence? Yeah okay and play Youboty all year in his place? Brilliant. Cut whitner? Sure and when Wilson gets hurt we put in Scott and watch him get killed in coverage by every TE or RB in the league.

Bills should retain every possible player they can at this point and structure the deals with as little upfront as possible. Just like Merrimans deal. If he doesn't perform well in camp, then you release guys. But not now.

These guys will both be resigned, because I doubt anyone else in the league wants an ILB or SS from the worst defense in the league. Both of these guys realize that they will get the most money from Buffalo, because their worth is very low around the rest of the league due to the defense's horrid rankings.

I understand that Poz I would like to stay here. I would like Poz to make tackles at the line of scrimmage, not 8 yards downfield. I'd also like Poz to show me he can cover an antique TE like Alge Crumpler. Unfortunately we all know that neither of those 2 things are likely.

I wouldn't be opposed to signing Poz for to preserve some continuity but I'd be horrified if we paid him a lot of money.

Keep him. Keep Whitner. Keep Florence. Keep Wilson.

Sorry, like them or not, you have to keep even your average players in order to build a franchise. Or else you are constantly RE-building.

Re-sign them and then, if nothing else, they are the low standard to add higher talent to/around.

I have to agree as well. Keep tham but don't overpay and don't hesitate to replace them with better players.

We cannot keep filling the same holes over anbd over. Especially when we will not spend money in free agency. The Bills are the poster child for UDFAs and others teams practice squad players.

well we all looking forward to see how much the bills going to offer poz. I would like to see him stay. He might not be the best player in NFL, but he plays his best. For the right price, keep him in buffalo.. But i dont know what chad and nix going to do once the free agent starts..some players cant play 3-4 some can.. Our D need a lot of work, so i guess free agent and see what happens once the draft starts..

You have got to be joking right? I know many people say Pz is not all that, but in the NFL, who are the top 5 tacklers? I'll give you a hint, Poz is one of them, and Whitner is the other. It's not Poz's fault that the defensive line gets pushed all over and then he gets caught up and pushed back. Let me guess, that Williams is a pro bowler as well? The front defensive line is the key to any defense! In a 3-4, it all starts with the nose tackle. Williams is a good player, but not a 3-4 NT. We Do Not Have One! Poz can go sideline to sideline with just about any lb in the league. For fans to say get rid of him, then we are dreaming of having it all next year. I'm not saying he is the best out there, but he is not bad either.

I find it interesting how we only talk about Whitner, Poz, and KW. No one brings up the bag of s*** lined up next to Kyle, how does Stroud get a free pass on these boards? In Poz's case, do you guys even know the names of our other 3 PHANTOM LBs? Those guys flat out s***! I am NO Twitner fan but even Troy Polamalu can't make up for the s****tude of 5 pieces of s*** playing in front of him. I say pay them fair market until our talent level pushes them off the squad. In my business it is fundamental to success.

I find it interesting how we only talk about Whitner, Poz, and KW. No one brings up the bag of s*** lined up next to Kyle, how does Stroud get a free pass on these boards? In Poz's case, do you guys even know the names of our other 3 PHANTOM LBs? Those guys flat out s***! I am NO Twitner fan but even Troy Polamalu can't make up for the s****tude of 5 pieces of s*** playing in front of him. I say pay them fair market until our talent level pushes them off the squad. In my business it is fundamental to success.

because Poz is a FA this offseason. I think most agree Stroud will be cut or traded (if even possible), but he's still under contract at this point.

Same w/ the other LBers, except maybe Akin, he might be FA.

I completely agree Dankster. I laugh at everyone saying we should cut all these guys when here we sit with a massive amount of cap room (barring any league changes) and we have so many needs at other spots. Cut Florence? Yeah okay and play Youboty all year in his place? Brilliant. Cut whitner? Sure and when Wilson gets hurt we put in Scott and watch him get killed in coverage by every TE or RB in the league.

Bills should retain every possible player they can at this point and structure the deals with as little upfront as possible. Just like Merrimans deal. If he doesn't perform well in camp, then you release guys. But not now.

Are you saying that isn't happening already? RB's and TE's have been killing us all season with Whitner and Poz.

I think we can all agree that Poz and Whitner have been average in their careers thus far, and with both of them up fro FA, I think the front office will sign one or the other...not both. Personally, I think they'd re-sign Poz before they sign Whitner. They already have pretty good depth at Safety, but LB, OTH, is a complete liability and weakness on the D. I think they made a terrible mistake in re-signing Kelsay, but as others eluded too, this team needs quality depth on D and these guys provide that.

because Poz is a FA this offseason. I think most agree Stroud will be cut or traded (if even possible), but he's still under contract at this point.

Same w/ the other LBers, except maybe Akin, he might be FA.

What does being under contract mean? Stroud is horrible but you give him a pass because he is under contract? Layoff the liquid lunches.

What does being under contract mean? Stroud is horrible but you give him a pass because he is under contract? Layoff the liquid lunches.

who is giving Stroud a pass? no one is. this thread is about Poz, and FA's to some extent.

wanna talk Stroud? look right here, Stroud is concensus cut

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/125472-cut-list/

This specific thread is about current FAs.

Do yourself a favor. Search "Stroud" and let me know how many positive comments you see.

I have a solution: gather about 8 different RBs & TEs and tie contracts around their necks. Put them, along with Poz, in an arena. Have Poz in the center and Trent Edwards off to the side to say "hut", "go", or "checkdown" (whatever he prefers). After a 1 second head start, Poz will then try to catch a player that has a contract around his neck. The better players in the league - such as the Antonio Gates and Chris Johnsons - will have $1B contracts around their neck. The lesser players - such as Alge Crumpler and Danny Woodhead - will have the average contract commensurate for a player of Poz's ilk. The outcome? Poz will not get paid, as Poz will not catch a single player..

So name the TWO inside LBs that you are bringing in this offseason that will be:

1. Better than Poz, to the extent that he will single-handedly stop the run, even though there isnt much of a DLine in front of him.

and

2. As good as Poz, to be a backup.

Torbor and Davis are already are on the roster and better options than Poz. Poz is not physical or instinctive enough to play in a 3-4. I'm not confident he can play in 4-3. Poz is not even average.

Moats is likely to be penciled in at ILB next season, as that's where he started out. There aren't a lot of sure fire ILBs coming out of college this year. But, if the Bills don't have at least one ILB targeted in free agency better than Poz, then this team is worse off than I thought. Desmond Bishop, D'Quell Jackson, Lamar Woodley, Brandon Siler, Stephen Tulloch, and David Harris are all better options than Poz.