Chan and Brohm Pressers

Short.

Well, not much to say I guess.

I'll be longer 'bout what I was looking for in discussion:

1) what Gailey and Brohm had to say about reasons for Brohm's performance

2) what Gailey had to say about Fitz

3) the way Brohm spoke about his performance compared with Fitz

I don't want to comment on what I heard 'cuz I'm looking for independent viewpoint/confirmation which, obviously, could get bolixed

Well, not much to say I guess.

I'll be longer 'bout what I was looking for in discussion:

1) what Gailey and Brohm had to say about reasons for Brohm's performance

2) what Gailey had to say about Fitz

3) the way Brohm spoke about his performance compared with Fitz

I don't want to comment on what I heard 'cuz I'm looking for independent viewpoint/confirmation which, obviously, could get bolixed

Come on hopeful, be sporting.

Gailey said the pass protection was horrible, that the speed of a live game was more than Brohm was ready for in a single game, and that his decisions should have been quicker. He added that it wasn't due to preparation. He was prepared for what the Jets did.

He praised Fitz for understanding the speed of the game and his.

Brohm sounded unconscious. I could listen and stopped the vid.

By far, BY FAR the most interesting part of the post game pressers was the final question that Gailey answered before he stepped down from the podium.

He was asked "When exactly did Fitz get injured?"

It's at the end of the interview. Please watch it carefully.

So much can be read into that, and for good reason too.

By far, BY FAR the most interesting part of the post game pressers was the final question that Gailey answered before he stepped down from the podium.

Body language said lie all the way...we didnt want to win this game. They have a Blue Chip on the radar for the draft.

Body language said lie all the way...we didnt want to win this game. They have a Blue Chip on the radar for the draft.

If that's the case, so be it.

If anyone can give a reason why a win in that game and picking 10th as opposed to losing and picking 3rd is a good thing, I would like to hear it.

If that's the case, so be it.

If anyone can give a reason why a win in that game and picking 10th as opposed to losing and picking 3rd is a good thing, I would like to hear it.

Oh come on! They were going to build on a win today against the jets 3rd stringers, and use it as a launching point for next season! Like, after the 4 preseason games, Chan was gonna continuously cite this victory to inspire our boys. I think he was gonna tell the team (if they won the first game next season) that they were on a 2 game winning streak!

After watching Brohm talk, I feel bad for him....

He has been paid handsomely for his college stats. Lots of nice people don't make it.....

Edited by Matthews' Bag

So much can be read into that, and for good reason too.

Exactly. His body language completely changed, he became almost defensive and started stammering. My take is that a decision was made and that Coach is such a straightforward guy that he's totally unaccustomed to not being truthful. It really jumps out of the video.

Exactly. His body language completely changed, he became almost defensive and started stammering. My take is that a decision was made and that Coach is such a straightforward guy that he's totally unaccustomed to not being truthful. It really jumps out of the video.

I don't know San Jose, I just got done looking at the video and I didn't see what you guys are seeing. I went back and watched the first minute carefully and Chan, almost every 15 seconds, shifted his weight and moved his body. The way Chan has been candid with us all year, I feel he would have just come out and told us he wants to give Brohm some playing time. I doubt he minded giving Brohm some work but I think if Fitz was better he would have started.

I don't know San Jose, I just got done looking at the video and I didn't see what you guys are seeing. I went back and watched the first minute carefully and Chan, almost every 15 seconds, shifted his weight and moved his body. The way Chan has been candid with us all year, I feel he would have just come out and told us he wants to give Brohm some playing time. I doubt he minded giving Brohm some work but I think if Fitz was better he would have started.

Well maybe I'm wrong then. It was pretty late when I watched it but it seemed to leap off the screen at me. I'll watch it again after work.

For what it's worth, on that 17-18 yard scramble against the Pats that Fitz eventually fumbled on, he was noticably limping and I even said something about it at the time. So, while I guarantee he could have played if this was a meaningful game, I'm also sure Gailey and Fitz aren't manipulating enough to fake a limp on a scramble 7 days before the next game to set up a start for his backup.

I think body language is harder to interpret than to say "lie all the way". I'm with San Jose though, it was very interesting.

He was straight about Fitz coming out early, but he dodged the question of did Fitz get a shot (some sort of antinflammatory or analgesic shot I assume).

I think it's legit that Fitz has been playing somewhat injured -- that would explain why his running has dropped off and why he seems to be holding the ball longer, looking for targets (indirectly led to his 2 fumbles last week) -- and legit that Fitz was injured last week. Came up limping, was seen limping around the facility.

I think Chan had a decision to play Brohm (not necessarily to "Blue Chip" the draft - possibly to protect a less-mobile Fitz from himself in a meaningless game, possibly to see how Brohm handled himself under fire, possibly not his decision). From Chan's body language, I think it's probable Fitz could have played if the Bills had real "skin" in the game.

I thought overall, Chan and Brohm each identified many of the problems in Brohm's play that TBD posters picked up: lack of "pocket presence" (what Chan called 'drift, avoid', 'all the little things'). holding onto the ball too long. delayed decisions (what Chan called "the speed of the game").

Other things I noted:

-Chan's reiterated comment that Brohm "understood what was happening" and "knew what he was doing". Is that praise or damnation? It sounds like praise But, Chan is someone to listen to carefully to hear what he really means. It could mean, Brohm was well-prepared, still couldn't handle the speed of the game, and is going to need a lot more experience before he could handle the speed of the game and do the "little things" that make a play effective. How is Brohm to get that experience here, as the back-up? Chan knows we need a backup who can come in cold, and play effectively. Will he assess that Brohm was placed in an unusually tough situation and would probably be OK facing a less aggressive team, with the starting OL and WR? Don't know.

-It sounds like watching Brohm made Chan re-evaluate Fitz and rate him more highly: "all the things we take for granted with Fitz"

-Chan is PISSED at Stevie Johnson's fumble. You could tell by the way he started shaking his head back and forth and the way his drawley voice picked up and became brisk when he was talking about it.

-Brohm is a very polished and poised interviewee.

-I kept hearing "we" or "us" used in the context of "getting the ball out". "We" don't throw the ball. YOU do. That's why QB's the "glamour shot" on the team. I like that Fitz is obviously a team guy and won't point fingers, but steps up and takes it on himself: "I hurt the team with turnovers today", "that's on me as the QB". In two questions Brohm mentioned blocking first, then there's the plural pronoun. Maybe it's just an acid flashback to Edwards, it bugged me.

I think you got it, Hopeful.

Bottom line, if this was a meaningful game, I think Fitz would have played. He was held out because there were numerous reasons to do so and not enough strong reasons to play him.

I still think Gailey's reaction to the question of Fitz' injury was very interesting.

I also agree that Brohm didn't quite take enough of the blame on himself. It was by a matter of degrees but he needed to assume more responsibility in my eyes.

And yes, I think Gailey came away with a renewed respect for Fitz after watching Brohm's performance.