Trade for Luck

trade trade our first, second and next year's first and then draft:

3. Luke Stocker Tennessee 6'6" 255 TE dude can catch and block, looks like Gronkowski

4. Reily Rieff Iowa 6'6" 300 LOT

4. Don'ta Hightower Alabama 6'5" 250 ILB

5. Phil Taylor Baylor 6'4" 355 NT

6. John Moffitt Wisconsin 6'5" 323 OG

7. Vince Browne North Western 6'5" 265 OLB

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Taking Luck will get Gailey and Nix fired. I strongly believe the Bills will not take a QB in the 1st 3 rounds. Gailey loves Fitz and the Bills have the worst defense in the league and a bad O-line.

Get used to the idea that the Bills will take the best defensive player available at 3 and then again in either the 2nd or 3rd rounds. They are also in deperate need of an OT.

But, but, but... we'll never be any good without The #1 QB in the Draft on any given year.

8 out of the 12 QBs playing in the playoffs were first round draft picks. almost every super bowl is won by a first round draft QB (aside from brady).

so yea when three out of 4 QBs in the playoffs are #1 QBs i think its safe to say thats important. 2 of the non first round QBs, hasselbeck and cassel play in awful divisions and will likely lose their first game leaving 7 out of the remaining 8 QBs as 1st round picks.

Meanwhile, half the teams with a top 10 defense are sitting at home. Its a QB driven league and Fitz isnt the answer.

That is great information I did not know. Although Luck is a great canidate, I feel Mallet is a good one as well. I might disagree that we need a qb in the first round though. I believe that a qb and the coach need to be on the same page and have a great understanding of each other (Chemistry). I eel that Fitz and Chan the Man may have that. Chan will build to our needs and feel that we strongly need a defensive pass rusher stud and some LB's to be better off. If the Bills can stop the run and have a much improved front seven, then that will make us even better competively. We can't blame Fitz for us not stopping the run, and we can't blame the coordinator. We can blame he management for not building a better front seven. Anyone of the front seven on defense and even offense better pay attention to what goes on because their jobs are most likely going to be gone. Not all, but I bet many are.

I would be happy if we took a qb like Luck or Mallet, but wouldnot be at all surprised if we took a stud defensive player. Either way, Chan the Man, and his good Ole Boy Nix will be judged and most likely picked on know matter what they do. It will be a lose lose situation for them both until next September any ways...

8 out of the 12 QBs playing in the playoffs were first round draft picks. almost every super bowl is won by a first round draft QB (aside from brady).

so yea when three out of 4 QBs in the playoffs are #1 QBs i think its safe to say thats important. 2 of the non first round QBs, hasselbeck and cassel play in awful divisions and will likely lose their first game leaving 7 out of the remaining 8 QBs as 1st round picks.

Meanwhile, half the teams with a top 10 defense are sitting at home. Its a QB driven league and Fitz isnt the answer.

Interesting, half the teams with a top 10 offense are sitting home too.

Taking Luck will get Gailey and Nix fired. I strongly believe the Bills will not take a QB in the 1st 3 rounds. Gailey loves Fitz and the Bills have the worst defense in the league and a bad O-line.

Get used to the idea that the Bills will take the best defensive player available at 3 and then again in either the 2nd or 3rd rounds. They are also in deperate need of an OT.

I generally agree with you. With the only caveat being if Nix and Gailey both see one of the players as a franchise QB and said QB is still on the board at #3, then they take him. No way they trade up and give up picks for a QB with Fitz playing as well as he did this season. But I never would have guessed them taking a RB last year so my powers of deduction are definitely in question :)

Edited by CodeMonkey

Solid argument.

Someone else got any better ideas?

Easily Yes -- shore up the defense! Our defensive front 7 may be the worst unit in all of football -- and that is with having Kyle Williams playing who is pretty good. It is a mistake to trade up to get Luck as if we still have this defense we won't win any more games next year than this year.

Interesting stats and a good point, but how many teams with 1st round pick QBs are not in the playoffs? If I remember correctly we had a 1st round pick as a QB (Losman) and he was not the answer either. It's not when they are picked, but that they are the right pick.

Easily Yes -- shore up the defense! Our defensive front 7 may be the worst unit in all of football -- and that is with having Kyle Williams playing who is pretty good. It is a mistake to trade up to get Luck as if we still have this defense we won't win any more games next year than this year.

Interesting stats and a good point, but how many teams with 1st round pick QBs are not in the playoffs? If I remember correctly we had a 1st round pick as a QB (Losman) and he was not the answer either. It's not when they are picked, but that they are the right pick.

absolutely, there are plenty of 1st rounders who don't make the playoffs, but there are far more 2-7 rounders who don't. Think about that for a minute.

Too many people here are ignoring the QB situation. This bills team had the ball more than most teams this season and failed to produce time after time. A lot of that falls on the QB.

You cant blame it all on the Oline either, Fitz was one of the least sacked guys in the league. He just isn't that good.

Im not saying we need to take one in this years draft, bc outside of Luck there isnt a QB worth taking at #3.

Take a look at what the successful teams have done. Patriots and Steelers have used the draft to build strong teams. The game revolves around winning the battles in the trenches. You cannot win without big strong men on both sides of the ball. You also need a QB and a pass rush and run stoppers? We are so far away from this because of poor choices. Mcghahee, Lynch, Whitner...lots of mistakes...in rounds 1-7 for many years.

Look at the history of Patriot draft picks. I hate them as much as anyone but you can learn more from 14-2 than spouting off. Go back ten years. They have been very flexible with what they did and who they took. Many years they wheeled and dealed. The picks they took bore no semblance to the picks they were dealt. Lots of defense. Lots of lineman and TEs. But they also took players to fill needs and traded (usually to their benefit) to make it happen. Some years they used the picks they had and took value players. They had four two round picks in one year. That was brilliant.

Seems to me like any draft pick is a crap shoot. There is no sure thing even picking at number one. Ryan Leaf is not the only bust. Rememberr Jeff George? The good teams minimize this risk by picking with smart payback odds. They run it like successful stock pickers or economists not emotional fans.

I hope Buddy and Chan look at where the needs are and where the value is and try to use the picks to build a great team. It's a lot harder than it sounds. Especially when you have scumbag agents like Jason Peters boy who pull talent out of the small markets to the big cities and leave a void.

First let's screw ourselves by drafting a QB instead of D, then let's screw ourselves further by trading away future high draft picks! Sounds like a plan to ensure the #1 pick for the next decade.

PTR

Our D is bad, but our QB was in the bottom 25% of the league in almost every stat. not screwing ourselves if we improve either.

Someone else got any better ideas?

I agree with step 1. If Luck announces he's leaving Stanford, and if Carolina will accept a trade (Jimmy Clausen hasn't exactly locked up the "franchise QB" position down there yet), I say hell yes the Bills should trade up for Luck and prove to we fans once and for all they are serious about winning Division, Conference and maybe even SB Championships again. Polian signed Jimbo out of the bankrupt USFL before the 1986 season FIRST, and then built everything around him later. Kelly even QB'ed the Bills to his own 4-12-0 season starting out his Bills' career in 1986, as Marv Levy was brought in by Polian half way through it. (Bill Polian does not get credit for drafting Bruce Smith number one overall in April 1985, because he was not GM at that time!).

As for the rest of the draft, I don't know any of those other players and I'm sure Nix will draft the best players on his board with the picks he has left if he can pull of the big trade for Luck.