Devoid of talent

It is clear to see on the Buffalo Bills they just do not have any talent. The Star of your team defensively is a 5th round pick 4 years ago. The offensive star is a 7th round pick 3 years ago. If you asked Bills fans who the next best players on the team were. It would be 2 undrafted WO in Nelson, and Jones. We are devoid of a top 5 (some will argue that we do not have a top 10) talent at any position. Not one position on the Buffalo Bills has a top tier player in it. Sorry folks Kyle Williams is not a top tier DT. Played well in some games this year. But Defensive very unsuccessful. The draft has produced nothing for the Buffalo Bills over the last several years. Are team is filled with average football players. Nothing else. Except on the Defensive line we are very much below average. The cubbard is very bare ladies and gentlemen. When other teams game plan is to stop Kyle Williams and Stevie Johnson that says a lot.

You do know we had a bunch of practice squad players out there right?

PTR

Ever ask yourself why the Bills are faced with this reality at the end of each season? Maybe this happens more frequently when you name a retired HC and marketing exec as your GM and expect them to figure it out on the job. Maybe if the team didn't draft so poorly year after year after year. Nah, that couldn't be it.

We are still paying for about 10 years of bad personnel decisions.

It's truly amazing how bad our past decade of drafts have been. And most of the guys that we drafted who were good have been lost to free agency or traded away.

We are more than one season away from a return to the playoffs, and if the Pats have a good 2011 draft, we may have an even longer wait.

Ever ask yourself why the Bills are faced with this reality at the end of each season? Maybe this happens more frequently when you name a retired HC and marketing exec as your GM and expect them to figure it out on the job. Maybe if the team didn't draft so poorly year after year after year. Nah, that couldn't be it.

I don't want to spoil the pity party, and I agree completely we have done a bad job drafting. But this one game we had a backup QB and a bunch of PS player at WR and o-line. The result is not that surprising. No excuse for th D though. That was pitiful.

I thought we all wanted a loss? Was it for the better pick or to feel sorry for ourselves?

PTR

Ten years of No.1 picks, 12 total 1's, a lot of them in the top half of the draft has resulted in JP Losman, McCargo, Maybin, McKelvin, Lynch, Spiller, McGahee, Whitner, Evans, Mike Williams, Nate Clements, and Eric Wood. Anybody care to add up the probowls in that group? You can't draft this bad and turn a team around.

Ten years of No.1 picks, 12 total 1's, a lot of them in the top half of the draft has resulted in JP Losman, McCargo, Maybin, McKelvin, Lynch, Spiller, McGahee, Whitner, Evans, Mike Williams, Nate Clements, and Eric Wood. Anybody care to add up the probowls in that group? You can't draft this bad and turn a team around.

The verdict is still out on Spiller, Mckelvin is OK, but i think Wood is a good player, and will only improve, and Evans is a decent receiver. Everyone else is garbage.

I don't want to spoil the pity party, and I agree completely we have done a bad job drafting. But this one game we had a backup QB and a bunch of PS player at WR and o-line. The result is not that surprising. No excuse for th D though. That was pitiful.

I thought we all wanted a loss? Was it for the better pick or to feel sorry for ourselves?

PTR

i didn't want a loss! but unfortunately we still have an awful lot of losing in front of us...wait till we get one more year to look at nix's first draft class...they're going to look just as bad as brandon/levy/jauron and the rest of the yes-mens'

I think people are overreacting to this loss. Our coaches couldn't throw the game publicly, but I'm sure they wanted to secure the draft pick - because we really weren't playing for anything. But, there is a real difference in quality between #3 and #7 or 8 in draft order. I mean, just between last year's 2 and 3 we see a big difference. So, let's just wait and see what we have after next offseason, before we give up on Nix and Gailey. Sure, New England is good and still has a draft, as do the Jets, but the New England team that went to the first Super Bowl didn't have a lot of recognizable names on the roster - and they often get it done with guys that have been cast off of other people's rosters. We don't need a team full of superstars. We need a team that is well coached, disciplined, with heart, and sure, we need better talent on D and at QB, but let's just wait and see how we look next summer - because, I think this staff will turn it around the next couple of years, and I would be really surprised if we aren't playing meaningful football next december.

The verdict is still out on Spiller, Mckelvin is OK, but i think Wood is a good player, and will only improve, and Evans is a decent receiver. Everyone else is garbage.

I like Wood too, especially coming back from the injury. I dont think McKelvin has developed as hoped and has made some horrendous plays, Evans is overrated and overpayed. Spiller didnt produce for the millions he made. I wonder what the total payroll in those 12 picks is and number of probowls. Im too tired now to research it, but it would be a scary cap number for a few(2 or 3?) probowls, and a big goose egg for perennial probowlers. Sometimes I wonder why I look foward to the Bills draft.

Clements did well for us while he was here too. I have a little theory on Spiller though. I think they may be saving him. With the extremely short life span on a running back's career, why waste him on an obvious re-building year? Could it be that they are waiting until they have a better team around him to get him more touches? Just a thought, probably over thinking it and he stinks.

Clements did well for us while he was here too. I have a little theory on Spiller though. I think they may be saving him. With the extremely short life span on a running back's career, why waste him on an obvious re-building year? Could it be that they are waiting until they have a better team around him to get him more touches? Just a thought, probably over thinking it and he stinks.

frankly, i hpe you're right, because it's the only reason i could forgive the bills for picking him. i think he's a really good player, but he's a player we didn't need this year. how do the bills not notice that new englands UDFA running backs look like hall-of-famers against our d-line?

Heres are first round and probowls

2001 Nate Clements---one probowl 2004

2002 Mike Williams--Zero, epic bust

2003 Willis McGahee--zero as a Bill, one as alternate with Ravens

2004 Lee Evans--zero probowls

JP Losman--zero probowls bust

2005 No number 1 thanks to trading up for Losman

2006 Donte Whitner--zero probowls

2006 John McCargo--zero probowls epic bust

2007 Marshawn Lynch--one probowl

2008 Leodis McKelvin--zero probowls

2009 Aaron MAybin--zero probowls on his way to becoming another epic bust

Eric Wood--zero probowls

2010 CJ Spiller--zero probowls

So in summary 12 number 1 picks and 2 pro bowls as a Bill. In fact only 3 current starters, 4 if you count McKelvin.

Plaxico Burress will be outta jail soon. He'll need a team and he makes a lotta plays. The draft, in my opinion, needs to be entirely defensive front 7 with a right tackle in there somewhere. If you look at a team like KC, it shows how quickly you can turn it around with a decent D and run game.

Wasn't Marshawn an alternate, there only because someone was hurt?

Agree on everything but McKelvin. I don't know what happened, but after the New England fumble he has been terrible. I thought he was going to be a great player too.