Favre fined 50K for not cooperating in Sterger inquiry

Beerball

Drop in the bucket 3 minutes work: http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/12/29/brett-favres-penalty-three-minutes-pay-happy-retirement/#cntnt

We've been waiting all year to see if Goodell would have the nerve to hammer away at Favre. But the closer we got to the end of the season, the more it appeared that the plan was to let Favre end his brilliant career before justice.

"My client and I are extremely disappointed, but not surprised, at today's NFL announcement ..." Sterger's lawyer, Joseph Conway, said in a statement. "While I am not privy to how Mr. Goodell reached such a finding, we strongly disagree with his conclusion that there was insufficient evidence to support a violation of the policy.

"To the contrary, our evidence and the personal testimony of Ms. Sterger clearly showed a pattern of lewd and offensive behavior by Mr. Favre that lasted all of the 2008 season ...

"In addition to the offensive messages, there was ample evidence to show that the sexually explicit photographs were part of Favre's inappropriate behavior. Our evidence clearly showed that the photos were sent by Favre."

I've always liked Favre as a QB but what he did is reprehensible and IMHO gives the NFL a black eye for the way they handled Favre's sexting

Good 'ol boys league indeed and just lays out the blueprint for future jackasses to abuse women with no fear of any repercussions

and here: "Favre didn't cooperate and, as a result, was fined three minutes.

Who is in charge here?

Goodell has also set out a great defense plan for players being investigated in the future: Don't cooperate."

The forensic analysis could not establish that Favre sent the objectionable photographs to Sterger.

This can only mean one thing. They looked at the pictures and then they looked at Favre :sick: . I wouldn't be surprised if as if often the case, the culprit is a step ahead of the investigation. Favre could have used a sophisticated disguise to fool Goodell.

Brett really disappointed me with this. He has been my favorite player in the NFL since our boy Jimbo retired, and I always held him up on a bit of a pedestal. The guy had a great career, a beautiful wife, healthy kids, and a legion of adoring fans. But I'm sorry, the guy is just a pig. No excuse for this. I would have never even THOUGHT about disrespecting my wife and family that way, let alone Jen Sterger.

I've been one of his biggest supporters for extending his career and staying in the game, but now I'm glad to see him go. Just another one of the long list of heroes who fail to live up to the basic expectations of a loyal fan. *sigh*

Drop in the bucket 3 minutes work: http://nfl.fanhouse....tirement/#cntnt

We've been waiting all year to see if Goodell would have the nerve to hammer away at Favre. But the closer we got to the end of the season, the more it appeared that the plan was to let Favre end his brilliant career before justice.

"My client and I are extremely disappointed, but not surprised, at today's NFL announcement ..." Sterger's lawyer, Joseph Conway, said in a statement. "While I am not privy to how Mr. Goodell reached such a finding, we strongly disagree with his conclusion that there was insufficient evidence to support a violation of the policy.

"To the contrary, our evidence and the personal testimony of Ms. Sterger clearly showed a pattern of lewd and offensive behavior by Mr. Favre that lasted all of the 2008 season ...

"In addition to the offensive messages, there was ample evidence to show that the sexually explicit photographs were part of Favre's inappropriate behavior. Our evidence clearly showed that the photos were sent by Favre."

I've always liked Favre as a QB but what he did is reprehensible and IMHO gives the NFL a black eye for the way they handled Favre's sexting

Good 'ol boys league indeed and just lays out the blueprint for future jackasses to abuse women with no fear of any repercussions

and here: "Favre didn't cooperate and, as a result, was fined three minutes.

Who is in charge here?

Goodell has also set out a great defense plan for players being investigated in the future: Don't cooperate."

'Hard' to argue with this analogy, but I'll try..

As is so often the case in a 'He said, She said', the truth lies somewhere in the middle. If, as alledged, these seedy episodes took place all season long, and Ms. Sterger didn't initially force the issue legally or threaten to expose it, then it stands to reason that there was some level of culpability on her part. Think about it. You're wooed by a company to move to the Big Apple for your specific expertise. This company has many young, attractive women on it's payroll. You arbitrarily select one of these women and begin harassing her sexually -without her consent- including texting pics from your personal phone of your limp noodle? Add in that you're a nationally known icon?? No one is that ignorant of the law to not realize the terrible ramifications of this behavior -if unwanted by the recipient! Then, it takes 2 years for this to come out publicly, both are no longer employed there and it's apparent that a third party released the information. Unlike Tiger Woods' trysts, she was not forthcoming, rather allowing a lawyer -at a later date- to paintbrush her as a victim.

Please don't mistake my take here. I'm not condoning anything. I'm just assessing the missing parts here and drawing the conclusion Ms. Sterger was a witting accomplice in this tawdry mess.

JMO.

'Hard' to argue with this analogy, but I'll try..

As is so often the case in a 'He said, She said', the truth lies somewhere in the middle. If, as alledged, these seedy episodes took place all season long, and Ms. Sterger didn't initially force the issue legally or threaten to expose it, then it stands to reason that there was some level of culpability on her part. Think about it. You're wooed by a company to move to the Big Apple for your specific expertise. This company has many young, attractive women on it's payroll. You arbitrarily select one of these women and begin harassing her sexually -without her consent- including texting pics from your personal phone of your limp noodle? Add in that you're a nationally known icon?? No one is that ignorant of the law to not realize the terrible ramifications of this behavior -if unwanted by the recipient! Then, it takes 2 years for this to come out publicly, both are no longer employed there and it's apparent that a third party released the information. Unlike Tiger Woods' trysts, she was not forthcoming, rather allowing a lawyer -at a later date- to paintbrush her as a victim.

Please don't mistake my take here. I'm not condoning anything. I'm just assessing the missing parts here and drawing the conclusion Ms. Sterger was a witting accomplice in this tawdry mess.

JMO.

Is that like the rape victims that wore short skirts and were partly responsible?

Brett really disappointed me with this. He has been my favorite player in the NFL since our boy Jimbo retired, and I always held him up on a bit of a pedestal. The guy had a great career, a beautiful wife, healthy kids, and a legion of adoring fans. But I'm sorry, the guy is just a pig. No excuse for this. I would have never even THOUGHT about disrespecting my wife and family that way, let alone Jen Sterger.

I've been one of his biggest supporters for extending his career and staying in the game, but now I'm glad to see him go. Just another one of the long list of heroes who fail to live up to the basic expectations of a loyal fan. *sigh*

I never understood hero worship, particularly for athletes.

The guy happens to be very good at a very brutal sport where a high percentage of players, if they were not doing that for a living, would probably be in jail. Why worship anyone, much less them.

And to your two heros that you mentioned. This is not the first time Favre has been in trouble for sexual misconduct. He was caught cheating on his wife several times if memory serves, went for counseling etc. etc. Jimbo also didn't have a spotless record regarding women either if I am not mistaken (read his wifes book).

These guys are talented in a sport that we watch for entertainment. Nothing more. If you need a hero look at a cop, fireman, teacher and so on. Not some jock.

Is that like the rape victims that wore short skirts and were partly responsible?

Um.. no.

There has been plenty of opportunity for her to cry rape and initiate legal proceedings involving law enforcement. It hasn't happened. Instead, through her legal advice, she allowed the NFL to investigate the matter internally while not bringing charges. Together, they publically proclaimed no further action would be demanded if Favre's employer would just suspend him. WTF kind of justice would that be if she was indeed sexually harrassed, let alone raped?

As Lancaster Steve said, his just shows other NFL players the precedent that if they get in trouble, all they have to do is stonewall the investigation and point at the Favre case if they get more than a fine.

I think Favre got cut alot of slack because of his star status.

Um.. no.

There has been plenty of opportunity for her to cry rape and initiate legal proceedings involving law enforcement. It hasn't happened. Instead, through her legal advice, she allowed the NFL to investigate the matter internally while not bringing charges. Together, they publically proclaimed no further action would be demanded if Favre's employer would just suspend him. WTF kind of justice would that be if she was indeed sexually harrassed, let alone raped?

Maybe she feels as if the public scorn he would face would be his just desserts.

But you're probably right. She probably is at fault that Favre sent he pictures of his schwantz. She pretty much asked for it. It could not possibly be that she was intimidated by his fame or that she was interested at first and then got creeped out. Who get get creeped out by Favre?

Code Monkey is probably right too. It is probably all about money. Kobe and Ben are victims and now Brett can join the club. These poor guys are getting their lives ruined by these short skirted evil doers.

Code Monkey is probably right too. It is probably all about money. Kobe and Ben are victims and now Brett can join the club. These poor guys are getting their lives ruined by these short skirted evil doers.

Not every woman that cries rape or harassment is lying. Just like not every one is telling the truth either.

I'm not saying Sterger "asked for it" or "got what was coming to her". But because she lawyerd up and didn't (to my knowledge anyway) file any criminal charges leads me to believe she is looking for money. I mean, who hires a lawyer if all you were going to do is file a charge with the police? You don't need a lawyer for that. And what lawyer is taking this case without a decent return on investment of their time as a goal? Just logic, that's all. But you go ahead and believe everything you read in the tabloids like a good drone.

To me Faurve has turned himself into a pathetic shell of what he once was. This incident makes him look like an idiotic tennager chasing a girl for sex. Almost as bad his melodrama around retirement simply made him look stupid. He's played three more seasons than he should have. He should have left Green Bay with his reputation and career intact. He has turned his HOF legacy into a joke.

To me Faurve has turned himself into a pathetic shell of what he once was. This incident makes him look like an idiotic tennager chasing a girl for sex. Almost as bad his melodrama around retirement simply made him look stupid. He's played three more seasons than he should have. He should have left Green Bay with his reputation and career intact. He has turned his HOF legacy into a joke.

Really? You missed last season?

Now his "HOF legacy" is a joke?

wow.

Edited by Mr. WEO

I never understood hero worship, particularly for athletes.

The guy happens to be very good at a very brutal sport where a high percentage of players, if they were not doing that for a living, would probably be in jail. Why worship anyone, much less them.

And to your two heros that you mentioned. This is not the first time Favre has been in trouble for sexual misconduct. He was caught cheating on his wife several times if memory serves, went for counseling etc. etc. Jimbo also didn't have a spotless record regarding women either if I am not mistaken (read his wifes book).

These guys are talented in a sport that we watch for entertainment. Nothing more. If you need a hero look at a cop, fireman, teacher and so on. Not some jock.

Well, I use the term "heroes" loosely, obviously...there's only one person I "worship", but I understand the point you're making. I am old school when it comes to how we view our sports heroes, though, and I don't really have any desire to take such a cynical stance as you apparently espouse yourself...not that there's anything wrong with that. There are a lot of factors that ruin sports these days, but my first "hero" in pro sports is someone who actually DID live up to the hype and expectation, and continues to do so today - Dale Murphy.

Jimbo made mistakes when he was younger...I know all about them. My ex girlfriend used to attend many of the parties he had at his Orchard Park residence back in the 80s, and they weren't exactly the sort of event that would be condoned by someone like, say, Nancy Reagan lol. But Jim fessed up to his issues and appears to have grown up a lot since those days. Favre is a 41 year old man with a family...he should have known better.