Some free agent targets

Adam

Not to be a dbag, but guys don't leave Pittsburgh to come to Buffalo. Harris is a long-shot, but a more realistic possibility.

There is also no reason why we would want Alex Smith. I gotta pass on that one.

Didn't a guy in Pittsburgh's front office leave to join ours? Also, Gailey has an extensive background with that organization.

Being able to pull away one of their top players would give us credibility- both on and off the field. He is the type of player you have to find a way to get, in order to be competetive. Get him and have a good draft and we will be on our way.....

TE is one of the most important positions in the NFL. Behind QB and LT its 3rd most important on the O as far as I am concerned.

There are so many stud TEs whose deals are expiring, I think we have to add one, and I preffer the best run blcoker. I also think Mankins would be ideal for our interior and building an awesome running game. Give me those two signings and maybe a LB and thats cloud nine.

Not to be a dbag, but guys don't leave Pittsburgh to come to Buffalo. Harris is a long-shot, but a more realistic possibility.

There is also no reason why we would want Alex Smith. I gotta pass on that one.

I know what you are saying but players do leave Pittsburgh, in fact replacing soon to be expensive players with new guys has been the Steelers MO for many years now. Every year it seems as though a pro bowl leaves that team, yet they dont seem to miss a beat.

Have to be realistic we aren't going to get top tier guys without horribly overpaying. You need to target a couple of quality mid level guys that can fill spots or provide depth.

Its about filling in secondary needs and quality depth. Your primary needs have to be addressed via the draft. The Bills need to spend their money wisely on making the team more solid as a whole while the draft is what fills major needs.

A couple of guys I would see the Bills actually being able to get

Anthony Becht (Solid vet blocking Tight end)

Ryan O'Callaghan (Quality backup RT)

Marcus Spears (Adds a quality 3-4 DE that can rotate with Carrington and Edwards)

Gerald Alexander (Can backup Wilson once Whitner is gone)

Mike Vrable (Might not hit the market but gives depth to the linebacking core)

Stephen Cooper (Would add a quality linebacker who can teach younger players the 3-4)

Nothing flashy but the team as a whole is given some depth and fills lesser hole it paves the way for the draft to fill major needs.

Have to be realistic we aren't going to get top tier guys without horribly overpaying. You need to target a couple of quality mid level guys that can fill spots or provide depth.

Its about filling in secondary needs and quality depth. Your primary needs have to be addressed via the draft. The Bills need to spend their money wisely on making the team more solid as a whole while the draft is what fills major needs.

Marcus Spears (Adds a quality 3-4 DE that can rotate with Carrington and Edwards)

Stephen Cooper (Would add a quality linebacker who can teach younger players the 3-4)

Nothing flashy but the team as a whole is given some depth and fills lesser hole it paves the way for the draft to fill major needs.

Listen, I hear what you are saying but this is the FA we should have had last year and didn't because of the upcoming strike/lockout/agreement or whatever happens next. It is a big opportunity to improve a team when 2xs as many options are out there. I really think/hope the FO has been planning for it. Knowing that NE* is going to have a big bunch of high draft choices and that the Jets have improved greatly the last couple of years, I think we need some good FAs to grow with the team and start the ball rolling a bit more. Plus we are likely IMO to lose a couple of guys.

Personally, I think they will spend some scratch on some quality young guys. I doubt that having a big name will matter one way or another. I would love to see someone like Mankins a couple of TEs a LB or 2 (although the LB options are a bit thinner IMO) OTs, 5 or 6 players should be brought in. I know we could and I think we should. I am not saying Washington builds right by saying that because we can and should do it different than they do (flash is not a Nix thing from what I

have seen). I like the season long try outs that Buddy has been having this year and think that it is a good way to build depth. Now we need some quality young starters.

I expect they will try to make a trade or 2 for some draft choices too. I think they see the thing that Dick built and understand the weaknesses after this whole year. They have been pretty good at evaluation IMO.

I know the draft is important but as I said before this year is different. Getting people to come here should be possible too, pay them the money (there is defiantly money even if they stay with the to the cap philosophy) and the new rep the team is getting as scrappy sure beats the old one of crappy. I think players will respect and understand the difference.

I know BTW I am hoping here but I do think it is a possibility too.

OLB LaMarr Woodley- could be another Bryce Paup for us on the edge

WR Sydney Rice- Could start opposite Johnson and allow us to move Evans to the4 spot, where he could tear up defenses.

OT Matt Light- could easily still start at either tackle spot

TE Owen Daniels- could be a prolific pass catcher.

RB Michael Bush- if we move Jackson, he could be the thunder to Spiller's lighting

Obviously, Woodley would be the biggest addition and would help as far as pre-draft additions.

I hope the Bills target these guys. But it's the Bills and my hopes of this team doing anything productive in the offseason is slim to nil. Look at last offseason. It was a complete waste. They should have went after Peppers and Dansby and offered them whatever it takes to get them here.

Didn't a guy in Pittsburgh's front office leave to join ours? Also, Gailey has an extensive background with that organization.

Being able to pull away one of their top players would give us credibility- both on and off the field. He is the type of player you have to find a way to get, in order to be competetive. Get him and have a good draft and we will be on our way.....

True, but I think it's a different mindset when FO types move from team to team. The ultimate goal for a personnel guy is to become a GM and shape his own team. The ultimate goal for players is to win a Superbowl and get paid. The debate here is which one is more important. I think the Steelers players are generally the one's who put SB over paycheck and are willing to take a hometown discount. They've kept this current core together with Troy, Harrison, and Hampton all extended to big deals. Woodley seems like the last piece of their puzzle. Could be wrong, we'll see.

I hope the Bills target these guys. But it's the Bills and my hopes of this team doing anything productive in the offseason is slim to nil. Look at last offseason. It was a complete waste. They should have went after Peppers and Dansby and offered them whatever it takes to get them here.

That is an excellent philosophy. The problem is that this isn't Madden. When we would have blown our load bringing those two to Buffalo...it would have been on 5 or 6 year deals with huge guaranteed money. I know they played well this year, but chances of them producing at a level anywhere near their salaries for 4 more seasons is highly unlikely...no, it's more than "unlikely," it just will not happen.

When you are rebuilding a team, that is a horrible move. I know that we were supposed to be in the Super Bowl this year, but when Nix speaks of building through the draft...there is a real good reason. If fact, it is he reason Pittsburgh, NE, and Indy all have had prolonged success. We just need to get into the club, and it' isn't instant...

My two cents

Matt Spleath Tight End large and can block also can do a little damage as a reciever

Willie Colon Coming off an Injury but would give the Bills a solid vet at the right tackle position

Both these guys are from Pittsburgh so Haley knows them well

Marcus Spears would be a solid run stopping DE Again coming of an injury so will see or John Jolly if he is allowed back into the league , he is a beast against the run

another name to keep on eye on Jerome Clary right tackle from S.d. Not sure how he is grading out this year but it is a need and Buddy knows him well

If they could fill TIght end and Right Tackle in free agency that would be a big help heading into the draft

Also seemed like Chan loved the Miami nose tackle who is also a free agent. Signing him would allow them to move WIlliams all over the D line looking for matchups to expliot

flame away

On the contrary, I would like to fan your flames. I would love to see the option of moving a guy like Williams around. We saw on Sunday what happens when Williams is neutralized, all the dominoes fall.

I know what you are saying but players do leave Pittsburgh, in fact replacing soon to be expensive players with new guys has been the Steelers MO for many years now. Every year it seems as though a pro bowl leaves that team, yet they dont seem to miss a beat.

It's called SUCCESSFULLY building through the draft.

It's called SUCCESSFULLY building through the draft.

You just can not just rebuild through the draft any more. With only getting 3 to 4 serviceable rookies each draft it would be very hard to get enough players before FA takes away some of your choices.

Becht's really getting up there in age and I really can't say he's better than anything we have here.

Callaghan be nice but think we already have our backup RT on the roster in Wrotto. We need a starter either through the draft of free agency.

Spears is nice but probably too expensive for our tastes we might have a better chance landing his backup, Stephen Bowen.

Alexander, didn't see him on my lists him being available and hate losing Whitner and not confident in Wilson starting but nice idea looking for a backup.

Vrabel is long in the tooth, if we're going to spend money in free agency think it have to be at OLB yet can't us landing Woodley, I doubt he'd re-sign but taking a flyer on Merriman and drafting someone like Robert Quinn might be intriguing.

I like Cooper for a year or two while Batten (or someone we draft) develops.