The RWS Experience

texasjute

I live in GA and don't get to see the Bills too often these days. Came up to visit the wife's family and got tickets for a group of 7 of us, including my two boys (ages 7 and 9) to the Pats game. First time I had been since 2006, and first time with my boys. I was very concerned about taking the boys, particularly after some of the reports earlier this season of obnoxious fans, and lots of people commenting that they would never take their kids to a game.

First of all, I want to thank all the TSW'ers who responded to an earlier thread asking about the best place to sit. I got some great advice. We sat in the lower bowl, off the 15 yard line about 30 rows up. Despite the ugly game and the very cold weather, we had a great time. Fans around us were great, and very knowledgeable, identifying coverages, patterns, etc. There were a few pats fans in the section (not many) but everyone was respectful to each other, and encouraging to my boys. Of course it wasn't very loud given the game, but it was still fun.

Hammer is a prince among men - we parked at his lot and got the red carpet treatment, complete with great tips on keeping warm(er). He knows how to take care of his customers. We parked at Hammers and stayed warm in the fieldhouse before the game started.

From my view RWS is still a great experience and Bills fans remain amongst the best anywhere. With a little effort, it is easy to keep the kids away from the loony fans and with the ones that care about watching football. My nine-year-old told me he had a great time even though it was cold and they lost, and he wants to go again. I told him next time we go we'll have a better team. The first time my dad took me to Rich Stadium (mid 80's) they got killed by the Pats. Then, the team started to improve for the super bowl runs.

I also wanted to say that TSW is a GREAT resource. I don't post much at all, but I love reading the great football insight and using it as a resource for info about having a great gameday. Bills fans are the best.

Cheers, thanks, and Happy New Year to all.

wow, i forgot how nice it was to hear a positive post from time to time on this board. Glad you had a good experience, way to groom the little ones into lifelong Bills Fans, My brother and I are doing the same with my nephew. I am not entirely sure it is not a form of cruelty to a minor considering what the last decade has been like, but what are you gonna do? The Bills are family, and you gotta love them even if they do occasionally show up to christmas drunk and make inappropriate comments about your 18 year old cousin. No in all seriousness, great post, way to bring some holiday cheer to the board, lord knows we need it.

I live in GA and don't get to see the Bills too often these days. Came up to visit the wife's family and got tickets for a group of 7 of us, including my two boys (ages 7 and 9) to the Pats game. First time I had been since 2006, and first time with my boys. I was very concerned about taking the boys, particularly after some of the reports earlier this season of obnoxious fans, and lots of people commenting that they would never take their kids to a game.

First of all, I want to thank all the TSW'ers who responded to an earlier thread asking about the best place to sit. I got some great advice. We sat in the lower bowl, off the 15 yard line about 30 rows up. Despite the ugly game and the very cold weather, we had a great time. Fans around us were great, and very knowledgeable, identifying coverages, patterns, etc. There were a few pats fans in the section (not many) but everyone was respectful to each other, and encouraging to my boys. Of course it wasn't very loud given the game, but it was still fun.

Hammer is a prince among men - we parked at his lot and got the red carpet treatment, complete with great tips on keeping warm(er). He knows how to take care of his customers. We parked at Hammers and stayed warm in the fieldhouse before the game started.

From my view RWS is still a great experience and Bills fans remain amongst the best anywhere. With a little effort, it is easy to keep the kids away from the loony fans and with the ones that care about watching football. My nine-year-old told me he had a great time even though it was cold and they lost, and he wants to go again. I told him next time we go we'll have a better team. The first time my dad took me to Rich Stadium (mid 80's) they got killed by the Pats. Then, the team started to improve for the super bowl runs.

I also wanted to say that TSW is a GREAT resource. I don't post much at all, but I love reading the great football insight and using it as a resource for info about having a great gameday. Bills fans are the best.

Thank you for the kind words. First time I have ever been called a prince! Your whole crew was very nice. It was my pleasure to help out a fellow TBD poster.

Edited by Hammered a Lot

I am not entirely sure it is not a form of cruelty to a minor considering what the last decade has been like, but what are you gonna do?

I realize it may be bad parenting, but we try to call it "character building." They may not grow up to be lifelong Bills fans, but for now my older son is on board. Younger one isn't quite of an age to care too much yet. They were both born in Dallas (we have since moved to GA); my main goal was to be sure they didn't take a shine to the Cowboys - looks like we've had success there. I want my kids to go their own way, but Cowboys fans? That would have been tough.

I realize it may be bad parenting, but we try to call it "character building." They may not grow up to be lifelong Bills fans, but for now my older son is on board. Younger one isn't quite of an age to care too much yet. They were both born in Dallas (we have since moved to GA); my main goal was to be sure they didn't take a shine to the Cowboys - looks like we've had success there. I want my kids to go their own way, but Cowboys fans? That would have been tough.

bad parenting would be allowing children to grow up to be Fish fans (Fish fans are created as the result of severe head trauma) or Pats fans (those are the type who only root for their team when it's doing well and are as obnoxious as anyone in the NFL)

Great post Texas. And thanks for doing it. Happy New Year to you & all other Bills fans this year. (We've got a lot of great things to look forward to in '11 and beyond.) RWR

Reports of savagery of all kinds at the Ralph are greatly exaggerated on this board. From reading things, you'd think 75% of RWS patrons literally projectile vomit and urinate on all those around them. Held season tickets for many years and can say that it is a fine place to bring your kids and have a good time. Would I suggest that you take your little ones into the endzone corners? No. Would I suggest you bring your kids if you are afraid that they'll be corrupted by a vulgarity or two? Nope. Still a ton of fun, and I can't wait until the product on the field matches the NFL gameday experience.

Great Post; glad to hear you had a good time. :) I think the next time I go to a game, I'll park at Hammer's.

Reports of savagery of all kinds at the Ralph are greatly exaggerated on this board. From reading things, you'd think 75% of RWS patrons literally projectile vomit and urinate on all those around them. Held season tickets for many years and can say that it is a fine place to bring your kids and have a good time. Would I suggest that you take your little ones into the endzone corners? No. Would I suggest you bring your kids if you are afraid that they'll be corrupted by a vulgarity or two? Nope. Still a ton of fun, and I can't wait until the product on the field matches the NFL gameday experience.

I have to agree....I've had season tix for 15 years and in all that time, I've only had 1 fight in my area, 1 obnoxious Bills fan (and that's Bernie's personality...loudmouthed but harmless) and no one puking or anything in the stands anywhere near me. And I've been in the tunnel endzone all 15 of those seasons...so yeah, there's some bad eggs in the stadium, but anyone saying there's that many of them is nothing less than full of it.

I have to agree....I've had season tix for 15 years and in all that time, I've only had 1 fight in my area, 1 obnoxious Bills fan (and that's Bernie's personality...loudmouthed but harmless) and no one puking or anything in the stands anywhere near me. And I've been in the tunnel endzone all 15 of those seasons...so yeah, there's some bad eggs in the stadium, but anyone saying there's that many of them is nothing less than full of it.

The only time I ever had an issue at a game was a pre-season contest vs the Saints like 20 years ago. Bunch of waaaay too drunk fans being obnoxious. We had seats in the old scoreboard endzone area. No issues at any other games from 1987 - 2005.