If the Jets pull their starters, shouldn't the Bills...

1billsfan

I don't know the exact, or even approximate numbers, but losing this game might cost Mr. Wilson between 5 and 10 million dollars just in terms of a signing bonus on draft day, no? This is not to mention higher salaries.

Along the lines of the rich getting richer, the Bills will win this game in a romp. Just a hunch, but we shall see.....

this...gotta see what the line is -the bills are a very good bet this week. that and the fact that the koolaid drinkers here can more easily delude themselves are the only reasons to hope for a win against the jets

Even if the Jets pull their starters, they'll have a better team than the Bills can field.

We are underdogs either way.

We have a chance to win the game, as we do any game, but I'm not sure if it is necessary for us to purposefully "throw" the game.

Even if the Jets pull their starters, they'll have a better team than the Bills can field.

We are underdogs either way.

We have a chance to win the game, as we do any game, but I'm not sure if it is necessary for us to purposefully "throw" the game.

Pulling your starters after the Jets have pulled their starters is NOT throwing the game. The game losses all meaning as soon as the first team pulls their starters.

The Bills would prove their stupidity as an organization if they did what they did in the Colt game last year by winning a meaningless game against backups and screwing themselves out of an elite type player like Ndamukong Suh.

Play this game however the Jets want to play it. DON'T try to insult the Bills fans by playing starters against backups again. There will be a huge backlash, especially come draft day if the dumbass Bills are sitting there at freaking 9th spot again watching future hall of famers being taken ahead of them.

Edited by 1billsfan

It never ceases to amaze me how fans continue to expect the team to pull starters or "tank" games for a better draft position. In your wildest dreams do you really expect a coaching staff to put a lesser team on the field if everyone is healthy? I mean it's common for teams that wrap up a playoff berth but when your scratching and clawing to change a culture of losing you gotta win. Chan Gailey and his staff have their professional reputations at stake every week. They were humiliated last week. I expect tham to try to win this game with everything they have (especially after getting embarrassed by the Jets already this year). If Brian Brohm gives the team a better chance to win than a healthy Fitz, then go for it. I suspect that's not gonna be the case. I'm glad the fans are just fans and don't call the shots here. Can't stand people wanting the team to lose. Big deal, Luck is either going somewhere else or he's staying in school. There will be plenty of good players to choose from wherever the Bilsl pick.

Pulling your starters after the Jets have pulled their starters is NOT throwing the game. The game losses all meaning as soon as the first team pulls their starters.

The Bills would prove their stupidity as an organization if they did what they did in the Colt game last year by winning a meaningless game against backups and screwing themselves out of an elite type player like Ndamukong Suh.

Play this game however the Jets want to play it. DON'T try to insult the Bills fans by playing starters against backups again. There will be a huge backlash, especially come draft day if the dumbass Bills are sitting there at freaking 9th spot again watching future hall of famers being taken ahead of them.

To be fair, we'll be watching future hall of famers drafted before us, and after us, no matter where we draft.

It never ceases to amaze me how fans continue to expect the team to pull starters or "tank" games for a better draft position. In your wildest dreams do you really expect a coaching staff to put a lesser team on the field if everyone is healthy? I mean it's common for teams that wrap up a playoff berth but when your scratching and clawing to change a culture of losing you gotta win. Chan Gailey and his staff have their professional reputations at stake every week. They were humiliated last week. I expect tham to try to win this game with everything they have (especially after getting embarrassed by the Jets already this year). If Brian Brohm gives the team a better chance to win than a healthy Fitz, then go for it. I suspect that's not gonna be the case. I'm glad the fans are just fans and don't call the shots here. Can't stand people wanting the team to lose. Big deal, Luck is either going somewhere else or he's staying in school. There will be plenty of good players to choose from wherever the Bilsl pick.

This game ceased being a "real" game once the Jets wrapped up a playoff birth. If it's ok for a team like the Colts and Jets to pull their starters then it is ok for the other team to do so. What world do you live in when you think beating backups is changing the culture of losing???? It's the epitome of a meaningless, hollow win and anyone who thinks differently is either delusional or a simpleton. Playing the other team's backups with your starters is the one time when a win is NOT a win, it's a booby prize that only the mindless would take any sort of pride in.

However the Jets want to play it is the way the Bills should play it. Starters or backups, it's their choice.

I don't know the exact, or even approximate numbers, but losing this game might cost Mr. Wilson between 5 and 10 million dollars just in terms of a signing bonus on draft day, no? This is not to mention higher salaries.

Along the lines of the rich getting richer, the Bills will win this game in a romp. Just a hunch, but we shall see.....

And if there's a new CBA in place before this year's round of rookies are signed (which there will be) that includes a rookie cap (which it will), your entire conspiracy theory is a moot point.

And if there's a new CBA in place before this year's round of rookies are signed (which there will be) that includes a rookie cap (which it will), your entire conspiracy theory is a moot point.

It isn't as much a conspiracy theory as much as it is an observation about how life works. If you think that this is an attack on Mr. Wilson, it isn't. I happen to be fond of the man. I only wish he would stay out of the war room.

You change a culture of losing by getting better players. Not by winning a meaningless game in week 17.

It isn't as much a conspiracy theory as much as it is an observation about how life works. If you think that this is an attack on Mr. Wilson, it isn't. I happen to be fond of the man. I only wish he would stay out of the war room.

I'm just saying that more likely than not, the 2011 rookies will be subject to a rookie cap when they sign. So it debunks your theory of "Wilson wants the Bills to beat the Jets so he can save some money on a 1st round pick."

Bill, leaving aside the absurdity of what you are suggesting, if you really believe the Bills make game decisions on the basis of whether winning will make them draft later and thus save Wilson some signing bonus money, why are you following this team?

I'm serious. Do you really think this is how the staff decide what to do going into a game?

If you do, why follow a team that is so inherently spineless, not to say dishonest?

Yeah - they've been bad, but picking 3rd or 4th still gives them better odds than 8th or 9th. If nothing else they can trade down for more picks and more chances to make their (seemingly random) selections and have one pay off.

Momentum is nice - but where is the momentum from beating your opponent's backups? To me playing them with your starters is just humiliating win or lose - obviously worse if you lose.

Remember the Bledsoe season Steelers game?? Could anything be worse for the morale of this club going forward than playing our starters against their backups and STILL LOSING??

Use the backups.

I remember that game. The RB for Pittsburgh that game was Mendenhall. It was his first start. He is now the starter for Pitt. I wish our backups were that good.

I remember that game. The RB for Pittsburgh that game was Mendenhall. It was his first start. He is now the starter for Pitt. I wish our backups were that good.

Mendenhall played for pittsburgh in the Bledsoe game in 2004 despite only being in high school at that point? You're thinking of Willie Parker.

I'm just saying that more likely than not, the 2011 rookies will be subject to a rookie cap when they sign. So it debunks your theory of "Wilson wants the Bills to beat the Jets so he can save some money on a 1st round pick."

OK, but he is an old school money man. If you and I know that the possibility of saving 5 or 10 million does exist, my thing is that so does he. Rookie cap with the new CBA notwithstanding, Mr. Wilson will make a big profit if the Bills win this game because they will draft later. This stands to reason by any stretch.

Bill, leaving aside the absurdity of what you are suggesting, if you really believe the Bills make game decisions on the basis of whether winning will make them draft later and thus save Wilson some signing bonus money, why are you following this team?

I'm serious. Do you really think this is how the staff decide what to do going into a game?

If you do, why follow a team that is so inherently spineless, not to say dishonest?

By the same token, if you think that my posts are bound to be absurd, you should probably refrain from reading them.

Having said this, if you read my response to Ramius, I debunked any "conspiracy theory." I am sure that Coach Gailey will want to win this game and well he should. My point was that in life, the rich do get richer. A win here would be would be an example of this.

One more thing.....just because I choose not to be a chronic ass kisser of every move this team makes does not render me less of a fan than you. I spend a good deal of time and a lot of money being a Bills Fan, and I have zero regrets. But, I want them to win and I speak out about good and bad things the Bills do. I kinda assumed that this is a substantial part of this website is for.

In any event, thanks for the dialogue. I enjoy it.