Stories of the Season: Kyle Williams

bills_red

Go to HERE for full story.

Stories of the Season: Kyle Williams

December 13th, 2010 | Author: Sam Monson

“Ndamukong Suh is the best defensive tackle in pro football.”

That was the claim made by Tim Ryan on Sunday, shortly before Suh was fairly comprehensively handled by the Chicago Bears, owners of one of the league’s poorest offensive lines.

Or maybe you’re a Sunday Night Football kind of guy: “If there’s a better defensive tackle in the NFL, I don’t know who he is,” Cris Collinsworth said of Haloti Ngata. To be fair, Ngata had an excellent game, handing Rookie of the Year candidate Maurkice Pouncey a comprehensive thrashing.

But the best defensive tackle in pro football this year has taken an already strong game to a new level, and he plies his trade in the barren outpost of Buffalo on one of the worst defenses in pro football.

Get to know Kyle Williams.

It’s completely possible that you have not even heard of Kyle Williams, and it’s tough to get noticed when your team is stringing together losses while those around you on D continue to flounder. Williams hasn’t even been the best defensive tackle with his surname over the past couple of seasons — that honor goes to Minnesota’s Kevin, who has been just a hair better than Kyle on the whole since we started tracking games in 2008.

But Kevin Williams is likely going to wind up in the Hall of Fame, while Kyle Williams might not even go to the Pro Bowl this year despite being an absolute force.

If you’re a long-standing Pro Football Focus user you’ll be familiar with Williams, and how highly we think of him. He’s our leader in the race for Defensive Player of the Year through the three-quarter point of the season, although he’ll surely not even get a vote when the balloting comes to bear.

We have a soft spot for players that consistently do their job well, especially when that job is the less glamorous part of the game, the part that won’t show up in sack statistics, or interceptions.

Go to HERE for full story.

Kyle Williams, a man, a force in the making, thru sheer force of will and determination. He's not the biggest or the quickest, but he may be the smartest and most determined. What makes his clock tick? We don't know yet. But whatever it is that makes his motor run, is what has been badly needed on this Bills team for a long time. It took him what, 4 years to blossom. You never know what kind of maniac u will get when u draft the right guy at whatever draft slot. This is so cliche but it sings true in Kyle's case, it's not the dog in the fight, but the fight in the dog. Kyle is an inspiration to us fans and to any mid to low round draft pick by the Bills for now on. Moats and Danny Batten better take notice. Easley you better keep your eyes open.

Edited by Pilsner

I remember pre-season you saw a lot of "He'll never be anything more than he is. Williams is simply 20 pounds too light to be great."

He was drafted while Levy was GM. For that reason alone he CAN'T be good. At least according to some posters.

I have been saying he was great since mid 2008 - so I guess it took me a few games to really see how well he has been playing. He was being double teamed way back then. This year he took a whole leap forward. I dont know how they rank players but they are spot on with this one - KW is one of the best big DLman in the game.

Do they have other rankings on their site? I would like to see their assessments of FAs to be. I still think he should be a 5 tech in a 30 front though.

Edited by Thoner7