Official Shanahan Thread

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll admit I was reveling in the misfortunes of the Redskins. I've hated them ever since we lost in the Super Bowl to them. Plus their unis are ugly, their obstinance in maintaining their dubious team name is more fodder, and their owner (in spite of his obvious desire to win) is one of the few owners along with Jerry Jones that I just love to see mess up. I admit it.

Their big money futility and succession of big-name failed coaches (Norv Turner, Marty Schottenheimer, Steve Spurrier, Joe Gibbs, and now Shanny) is endlessly entertaining to me. I love that their approach, diametrically opposed to that of the Bills, has yielded only 5 more wins (85-80) than the Bills since Snyder bought the team 12 years ago. I guess misery loves company. Especially rich company.

Also, I've written many times about my suspicion as to Shanny's capabilities. Bottom line, I think he's overrated. Regardless, he's the sort of type A, autocratic, egotistical prick that I personally love to hate. I'm not the first to dub him "Rat Face" but I do call him that. He obviously has a real Napoleonic complex which has shown itself repeatedly in his inability to manage egos and his arrogance in hiring his son (I'm also offended by nepotism) to run the offense.

Finally as others have mentioned, I admit to (not proud of) thumbing my nose at the "we must hire a big-name coach" crowd" here in Bills Nation. Some of those people I respect as fans but I guess I'm annoyed by casual fans who only understand things like name recognition and hyperbole. Pittsburgh hired Bill Cowher when he was an unknown. Same with Mike Tomlin. Bill Belichick was hired out of the recycle bin after a failed tenure in Cleveland. I really liked the Bills approach of hiring good, solid football men whose reputation amongst their peers was much higher than their reputation amongst fans. I resented those who felt the need to hire a big name coach simply to satisfy their own feelings of inadequacy and their lack of knowledge of the game. I admit it.

So I have prejudices and biases. I'm not proud of that but it is what it is. I hate the Redskins and Daniel Snyder and I objectively think Shanny sucks as a person and is overrated as a coach. Will he turn the franchise around? That remains to be seen but so far I'm liking what I'm seeing from them.

Love your post.

I said that Davis had too short of a career to say anything definitive about his contribution, but that without him, the Broncos likely don't win a SB. I can't say for sure. Teams have won SB's without great RB's just as they have without great QB's.

My bad Doc. I re-read your post this morning and you are correct.

Davis was a 7th rounder. Its not like Shanny had this ultimate plan to nab Davis late in the draft in his effort to win the SB.

The point you're trying to ignore is that Shanahan brought a system that established the running game and turned a 7th rounder like Davis into a 2000 yrd rusher and made 1500 yard rushers out of Portis (6000 yards his 1st 4 years!) and "Mike Anderson", 1200+ out of "Reuben Droughns", 1100 out of "Olandis Gary" and 1000+ out of Tatum Bell.

....and a 2 time SB winner out of an aging Elway who needed Bubby Brister's 4 wins to get him to the playoffs.

The point you're trying to ignore is that Shanahan brought a system that established the running game and turned a 7th rounder like Davis into a 2000 yrd rusher and made 1500 yard rushers out of Portis (6000 yards his 1st 4 years!) and "Mike Anderson", 1200+ out of "Reuben Droughns", 1100 out of "Olandis Gary" and 1000+ out of Tatum Bell.

....and a 2 time SB winner out of an aging Elway who needed Bubby Brister's 4 wins to get him to the playoffs.

All the correct pieces fell in their lap for about 2 years. I would put order of significance of Denver winning those superbowls on Elway and their offensive line. Their offensive line was so dominate. They protected an aging Elway and allowed Davis to dominate the way he did.

IMO Shanahan is an after thought to the super bowl wins.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

"To get him to the playoffs?" You really should look this stuff up beforehand, doc. The Broncos were 14-2 that season. Take away the 4 wins and they are 10-6, which still leads the division. Not to mention all 4 of those teams Brister faced were sub-.500, which could explain why even he could beat them.

And again, the Broncos had top-5 rushing attacks in 5 of the 7 years following Elway's retirement, and QB's no worse than the caliber of Brister. Yet not even close to a SB berth.

The schadenfreude isn't so much directed at the Redskins as it is toward the ranters here who posted ad nauseum how the Bills were doomed without Shanny. The same people who say "who me?" when the facts reveal themselves. Probably the same people howling for Luck now.

PTR

Awesome! I agree with you big time on this. I am sooooo glad we didn't take Shanny, but did want Bill. Didn't know Chan the Man, so was on the fence. Now I'm a Chan the Man guy and BILLIEVE!!!

"To get him to the playoffs?" You really should look this stuff up beforehand, doc. The Broncos were 14-2 that season. Take away the 4 wins and they are 10-6, which still leads the division. Not to mention all 4 of those teams Brister faced were sub-.500, which could explain why even he could beat them.

And again, the Broncos had top-5 rushing attacks in 5 of the 7 years following Elway's retirement, and QB's no worse than the caliber of Brister. Yet not even close to a SB berth.

Bubby started 4 and won 4 but he also stepped in in week three for the Oakland game and led them to another win. Take away those five and they are 9-7 and tied with Oakland. Although the conference record would still have favored the Broncos (they had 5 teams in the division then).

Still, if Brister tanks all 5 games, pressure is on for Elway to get back in as starter instead of getting a nice rest (twice) for his playoff/SB run.

Bubby started 4 and won 4 but he also stepped in in week three for the Oakland game and led them to another win. Take away those five and they are 9-7 and tied with Oakland. Although the conference record would still have favored the Broncos (they had 5 teams in the division then).

Still, if Brister tanks all 5 games, pressure is on for Elway to get back in as starter instead of getting a nice rest (twice) for his playoff/SB run.

Yep, the Broncos still would have won the division if tied with the Raiders, based on a better division record. But Brister wasn't going to tank (or more precisely Shanahan wasn't going to allow Brister to be the one to tank) against the 3-13 Eagles, the 5-11 Chargers, the 6-10 Redskins, or even the Chefs. None of them scored more than 16 points. Not that Brister was a lousy QB. He was around .500 as a starter.

The Shanny Thread…the gift that keeps on giving.

More theorizing on Shanny's mostly disappointing season. It's an interesting compare/contrast with Andy Reid, which I've touched on in the past.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/34134/mike-shanahan-has-lost-a-step

BTW, the last two days in Redskins camp has featured Shanny engaging McNabb's agent in a public pissing match as well an epic brawl between two players in the weight room.

In fairness, Rex Grossman put up some huge numbers in his start last week.