Incognito was mistake to let go

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. It was a huge mistake letting him go, especially considering the circumstances. He had a contract in place, Wood's injury was severe and his comeback was no slam dunk, plus, with Wood at C and Inconito next to him, it could have been a good combination of nasty. The Bills would have always had the option to let Incognito go either late in the offseason or during/after preseason. Hell, they though Coprnell Green was an upgrade? WTF?

This move alone is the kind of evidence that fuels the flames that the Bills FO is totally incompetent. Look at what they are doing now... dumpster diving for offensive linemen that even bad teams have tossed off their rosters... Wrotto, Brown, Pears, Rinehart... and continuing to ignore the fact that LT is barely adequate with Bell manning that position.

+1

The Bills LOVE LOVE LOVE to create holes for themselves and then use time and resource to fill them again. Maybe somebody will figure out if you develop some stability from a player turnover perspective at certain positions you can use those resources to fill other holes at other positions that are never properly addressed. The most glaring example of this is in the defensive secondary. Buffalo has used approximately 40% of it's FIRST ROUND DRAFT PICKS the last 12 years on defensive backs. This is IN SPITE of the fact that we also bring in free agents and develop undrafted guys into starters. That is DUMB! I guess they felt the DBs were "best player available" where we usually draft.

Conversely on the lines we screw it all up. When we do use a first round pick on our lines we draft busts on the defensive side or use high picks to draft guards instead of elite tackles like other teams. We crapped out on Mike Williams but does that mean we can never use a first round pick on a tackle?

What a waste.

He would have been depth and nothing more on this team. This team obviously needs depth at the oline, so it was a mistake to let him go, but it wasn't anything worth crying about. This was nowhere near the mistake of the Green signing.

This team needs starters that are head and shoulders above the almost interchangeable "depth" we have at any position on the line. Most of us don't know or care who has started the last 10 games at RT. They are all poor to mediocre. It's the shotgun approach. If you throw enough bodies at the position playing the odds they figure somebody will step up and rise above the rest. Sadly the best guy we have had at RT in a long while was Langston Walker and we screwed that up by dumping him when it became obvious he wasn't a quick footed athletic guy that could take over at LT for Jason Peters.

We love to make holes for ourselves.

Do you really think so? Is there a safety worth a top 6-7 pick? I think George Wilson and Bryan Scott would be sufficient at SS for now, and then maybe look at someone in free agency.

Didn't seem to matter when we drafted Whitner ;)

Edited by PDaDdy

We brought him here because both the Bills and his agent knew that there was not choice although the Dolphins would have grabbed him if we did not. He had just a couple of days to prepare and did well and played well for the entire time in Buffalo.

We can say what we want about the Maybin pick, Trent starting ahead of Fitz, making average pass rushers cover backs and look like idiots and then giving them huge contacts, etc., but this is/was a mistake too. This guy started for us and played hard and is doing very well in Miami right now. To counter my point, TO is having a very good year as a Bengal, but it sure is fun watching late draft picks and undrafted fa's play well.

I am pleased overall with where and what the Bills have done this year but this is a mistake on par with the others noted above.

I would venture to guess that 99% of all Bills fans were pleased with Incognito and wanted him back.

I have no idea why the front office let him walk.

This move alone is the kind of evidence that fuels the flames that the Bills FO is totally incompetent. Look at what they are doing now... dumpster diving for offensive linemen that even bad teams have tossed off their rosters... Wrotto, Brown, Pears, Rinehart... and continuing to ignore the fact that LT is barely adequate with Bell manning that position.

Might want to change that comment because Incognito was tossed off a roster of a St.Louis last season and they were very bad so this year we exchanged 1 dumpster for another except a few of the so called dumpster teams were not bad

Agreed. It was a huge mistake letting him go, especially considering the circumstances. He had a contract in place, Wood's injury was severe and his comeback was no slam dunk, plus, with Wood at C and Inconito next to him, it could have been a good combination of nasty. The Bills would have always had the option to let Incognito go either late in the offseason or during/after preseason. Hell, they though Coprnell Green was an upgrade? WTF?

I was just starting to feel good about all these new acquisitions. Fortunately though, the Doctor was in the house to set me straight. I heard those dumpsters get mighty tempting after a bottle or 2 of boonsberry farm.

Thanks again Dr. Trooph for bringing the troo reality of despair to light. Like hope through an hour glass, I needed that Buzz kill.

By the way does anyone know how bad Craig Urbik’s knee injury was? I didn’t hear any reports.

Incognito was only with the Bills for 3 games last year, and in those 3 games, he committed 4 penalties. At best, the Bills would have tendered him at the lowest level ($1.226M) which would have netted them a 3rd rounder (his original draft round) if someone else signed him. But no one was going to trade for him.

Beyond that, the Bills were committed to Levitre and Wood at OG. Even though Wood was injured, all indications were that he would return, and that proved to be correct. And Wood wasn't going to be moved to center without much practice time at the position prior to the start of the season. Incognito wasn't going to wait and see if Wood would come back. Likely he told the Bills that if they tendered him, he wouldn't sign, leaving them in limbo. So instead the Bills cut him loose and he took the (essentially) guaranteed starting gig in sunny Miami. And his contract will pay him more (assuming he hits the incentives) than he would have gotten as a low-tender RFA like the Bills would have given him, even more so since Florida has no state income tax.

Of course I don't know if that's exactly how it turned out, but that makes the most sense. As it turned out, Urbik and Rinehart have looked good, and Hangman is another possibility at RG, so nothing was really lost. Not to mention that Miami will have to pay Incognito a pretty penny to keep him after this season.

This thread is surreal. Has anyone actually watched Richie Incognito play?

Incognito is an average player and always has been. Pretty strong, has trouble in space. Par for the course for an NFL guard.

As a person, two teams including the team which drafted him in the 3rd round, gave up on him and neither of his former teams are in need of his services nor is it likely that they regret letting him go. So Miami claimed him off the scrap heap. Good for them.

Incognito has a very long list of behavioral problems going back to college where he was suspended. He was very high on Sports Illustrated's list of dirtiest players (based on an NFL players' poll) and he was voted dirtiest player in the Sporting News poll of NFL players.

He was hounded by unsportsmanlike conduct and personal foul penalties while at St. Louis. He was fined more than once for berating game officials. He reportedly didn't get along with teammates. Incognito is the O-lineman most likely to succeed Barrett Robbins.

Why the !@#$ would a rebuilding team which is trying to instill character, want to rebuild with Richie Incognito?

I seriously question the football knowledge of anyone stating that letting him go was a mistake.

I was playing the sarcastic cards. Apparently I need a new deck. I am happy diving into dumpsters for talent if that is what practice squad players are to some. I like the way Buddy and Chan are managing this team. This is an especially good time for trying out new players when other clubs are striving for the playoffs and committed to their squads as constructed. If we can pick off a few good players than great and it looks like we have. Richie Incognito is not missed.

Does anyone know how bad Craig Urbik's knee was injured?

Edited by whodat

I was playing the sarcastic cards. Apparently I need a new deck. I am happy diving into dumpsters for talent if that is what practice squad players are to some. I like the way Buddy and Chan are managing this team. This is an especially good time for trying out new players when other clubs are striving for the playoffs and committed to their squads as constructed. If we can pick off a few good players than great and it looks like we have.

Does anyone know how bad Craig Urbik's knee was injured?

I actually thought I heard that the injury would not require surgery. And yet he was placed on IR. Your question is a good one.

As of December 8th, the Buffalo News was calling Urbik's injury, a "ligament injury." Like I said, the initial word was that it wouldn't require surgery.

I also found this scouting report on Richie Incognito:

Grade: 57 | Key

Comment: He has a reputation for being a dirty player who will take cheap shots. Incognito is an emotional player who is a mauler at the point of attack. He is not a technician; he is a guy that will lock on and try to maul his opponent to the ground. He is better in the run game than pass game. He is a guy who lunges too often and gets out of position. He does not posses great recovery quickness. He is a guy who is effective when he plays under control.

Scouts Inc. has developed its own grading scale to better distinguish players of similar abilities in the NFL. Below is a breakdown of that scale and a glossary of the alerts Scouts uses to flag players with specific concerns.

100-90: Elite Player

Player demonstrates rare abilities and can create mismatches that have an obvious impact on the game ... Premier NFL player who has all the skills to consistently play at a championship level ... Rates as one of the top players in the league at his position.

89-80: Outstanding Player

Player has abilities to create mismatches versus most opponents in the NFL ... A feature player who has an impact on the outcome of the game ... Cannot be shut down by a single player and plays on a consistent level week-in and week-out.

79-70: Good Starter

Solid starter who is close to being an outstanding player ... Has few weaknesses and will usually win his individual matchup but does not dominate in every game, especially when matched up against the top players in the league.

69-60: Average Starter

A valuable roster player but is not dominant against the better players he faces on a week-to-week basis... Gives great effort and you are glad that he is on your team, but he may or may not go to the next level.

59- 50: Good Backup

A player who is on the bubble and starts only because of a deficiency at the position ... He lacks complete overall skills, and although he will battle he will hinder his team's ability to play at a championship level if he is forced to be in the starting lineup consistently over a 16-game season ... A player you don't mind having on your team but someone you are always looking to upgrade.

49-40: Below Average Backup/Core Special Teamers

Strictly a backup player who is not capable of starting ... If he is forced to start he is no more than a short-term fix ... He may make the team because of special teams contributions or experience ... A player you are always looking to upgrade as he will always be a borderline roster guy.

I would venture to guess that 99% of all Bills fans were pleased with Incognito and wanted him back.

I have no idea why the front office let him walk.

Perhaps a new coaching staff didn't want a guy who has a history of being a head case, not a smart on field player, and someone who is difficult to coach. He is a player who had trouble with multiple coaching staffs in St. Louis which led to his release. He was also kicked off of two college teams. Not the type of guy many would want on their team when starting to build a new program.

Excerpt from a 2008 article after Incognito got into a fight and drew a 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty that pushed a potential game winning field goal back to a 50 yarder:

After a Rams field goal in the first quarter, he was flagged for a 15-yard fighting penalty that nearly took precious points off of the board for his team. When the cameras cut to new head coach Jim Haslett on the sideline, it didn’t take a professional lip reader to figure out what he was saying to himself.

Haslet mouthed very clearly: "What is wrong with this mother!@#$er?"

Incognito’s problems go back farther than just yesterday. After becoming the first freshman to ever start on Nebraska’s offensive line, he was kicked off of the team and out of the school when a fight at a party resulted in assault charges. It was the culmination of several incidents that season.

Incognito was then given a second chance at the University of Oregon, but was again booted out of school for behavior problems before he ever played a single down.

When he was drafted by the Rams in the third round of the 2005 draft, Incognito held out for a large signing bonus despite the fact that he hadn't suited up for a football game in more than two years. He then used the signing bonus to buy 2006 BMW 750, in which he had 22 TV screens installed. Twenty-two.

All sounds like exactly the right person and attitude you'd like on a team that's trying to turn its season around, no?

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/therundown/2008/10/haslett_on_incognito_what_is_w.php

It wasn't the right person or attitude for the Rams, why would we want it to be for the Bills?

This thread is surreal. Has anyone actually watched Richie Incognito play?

Incognito is an average player and always has been. Pretty strong, has trouble in space. Par for the course for an NFL guard.

As a person, two teams including the team which drafted him in the 3rd round, gave up on him and neither of his former teams are in need of his services nor is it likely that they regret letting him go. So Miami claimed him off the scrap heap. Good for them.

Incognito has a very long list of behavioral problems going back to college where he was suspended. He was very high on Sports Illustrated's list of dirtiest players (based on an NFL players' poll) and he was voted dirtiest player in the Sporting News poll of NFL players.

He was hounded by unsportsmanlike conduct and personal foul penalties while at St. Louis. He was fined more than once for berating game officials. He reportedly didn't get along with teammates. Incognito is the O-lineman most likely to succeed Barrett Robbins.

Why the !@#$ would a rebuilding team which is trying to instill character, want to rebuild with Richie Incognito?

I seriously question the football knowledge of anyone stating that letting him go was a mistake.

I would question question the football knowledge of anyone who would describe this thread as surreal. You probably went to Joes right, when you really wanted the Delaware blue and gold.

What is the basis for the assertion that Incognito did not want to stay in Buffalo? Was an offer made? What if any discussions took place?

What is the basis for assuming the opposite? Do you know that the Bills did not make an offer or at least approach him on staying? It all speculation so save the "where's the proof" arguement until you have some to offer yourself.

Icognito?? . . . He was a Bill? . . . And we let him go? . . . And we miss him? . . . :unsure: :unsure:

hmmmmmmm . . . must have missed the part when we liked having him around . . . :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Now, letting James Harris go . . . now THAT is worthy of still fretting over . . . :doh: :doh:

I would question question the football knowledge of anyone who would describe this thread as surreal. You probably went to Joes right, when you really wanted the Delaware blue and gold.

Can't say I understand your last sentence but let me make myself clearer.

Richie Incognito was an average guard who has been dogged by behavioral issues for as far back as anyone knows.

His track record as a teammate sucks.

So why was it a mistake to let him go?