McKelvin Played Well Today

OldTimer1960

Leodis McKelvin has had his share of struggles, but I still see flashes of a good player

in him. I do think that he is a tremendous athlete and that he tries hard. I think that

he usually has good coverage, but doesn't seem to sense the ball in the air to make pass

breakups - but there are decent/good CBs in the NFL that are the same way. I don't think

that he'll ever be the star that they were hoping that he'd be when they picked him high

in round 1, but he isn't awful either (but I admit that when he makes a mistake it is

often a BIG mistake).

Leodis McKelvin has had his share of struggles, but I still see flashes of a good player

in him. I do think that he is a tremendous athlete and that he tries hard. I think that

he usually has good coverage, but doesn't seem to sense the ball in the air to make pass

breakups - but there are decent/good CBs in the NFL that are the same way. I don't think

that he'll ever be the star that they were hoping that he'd be when they picked him high

in round 1, but he isn't awful either (but I admit that when he makes a mistake it is

often a BIG mistake).

J.D. Williams had some good games too. Just sayin' . . .

Great to see him focusing on playing CB, not K or PR.

He definitely made some big pass breakups and big hits.

I'd like to see him continue to focus on him CB duties.

We have more than enough people that can handle K or PR duties.

J.D. Williams had some good games too. Just sayin' . . .

Ah, I remember J.D. Williams too. Not a bad comparison really. I am still

hopeful that McKelvin will continue to improve. He really has tremendous

athletic ability and he isn't afraid to tackle even though he isn't that

big. I don't think he will ever be a great CB, but I think that

he can be a good-very good starting NFL CB.

often a BIG mistake).

Not so sure I agree overall. Delhomme stank. McKelvin was several yards behind the WR when Delhomme threw that floater that he picked off--he just had to wait for it. I don't know if they Bills win that game with a decent QB for KC.

Not so sure I agree overall. Delhomme stank. McKelvin was several yards behind the WR when Delhomme threw that floater that he picked off--he just had to wait for it. I don't know if they Bills win that game with a decent QB for KC.

It looked to me like he had good coverage and the reason why he was several yards behind the receiver is because he saw it was badly thrown and came back for it before the receiver did.

McKelvin actually had good coverage on the play, but broke it off when he saw the ball up in the air.

Its amazing how many people will play up a bad performance by a player, yet refuse to acknowledge a good performance in an effort to be "right".

Great to see him focusing on playing CB, not K or PR.

He definitely made some big pass breakups and big hits.

I'd like to see him continue to focus on him CB duties.

We have more than enough people that can handle K or PR duties.

I disagree for if it weren't for his habit of fumbling he is the best returner we have for he hits straight up the field like a rocket, looks for a crease and doesn't dance around waiting to get tackled. The few times he has returned he always looks close to breaking one.

McKelvin actually had good coverage on the play, but broke it off when he saw the ball up in the air.

Its amazing how many people will play up a bad performance by a player, yet refuse to acknowledge a good performance in an effort to be "right".

I've never said he was a bad player, so I'm not trying to be right about anything. That's what I thought I saw on the play. Maybe I looked too late. I'd rather be wrong about that. Two of you say the same thing, so I must not have caught him quick enough, and I must therefore be wrong. No skin off my nose.

I disagree for if it weren't for his habit of fumbling he is the best returner we have for he hits straight up the field like a rocket, looks for a crease and doesn't dance around waiting to get tackled. The few times he has returned he always looks close to breaking one.

Thats a huge IF.

Yes he is the most explosive but it's hard to take advantage of his returns when the other team has the ball.

He cannot be allowed to k or PR anymore. 4 out of 18 Kr were fumbled in the last two years.

He has a lot of work to be a good fundamentally sound CB instead of a player that depends on his athletic ability to make up for bad technique.

He did have a very good game... He made some sticks, some solid tackles, forced a fumble (that didn't count) and got an interception. Today he had a day of vindication of sorts.

He definitely has all the physical tools to be a good CB, he just needs to up his "Football IQ" to take the next step.

The majority of his mistakes come from mental errors, IMO.

I've never said he was a bad player, so I'm not trying to be right about anything. That's what I thought I saw on the play. Maybe I looked too late. I'd rather be wrong about that. Two of you say the same thing, so I must not have caught him quick enough, and I must therefore be wrong. No skin off my nose.

Don't sweat it. You missed the spot where he turned around and looked for the ball.

I have watched McKelvin pretty closely and outside of getting a case of the "stupids" what I mean by that is the times

where he just seems to be completely unaware of the game situation and what is most needed in that situation(not protecting

the ball, going for the int in the red zone rather than a desperately needed pass breakup, etc...), he has gotten better

in other areas.

He has a ton of confidence bordering on cocky, but I am hopeful that his many gaffs and a full year or two of playing time should

help him mature into a decent CB. You want your defensive backs to be confident in their abilities without them jeopardizing

solid play for low-percentage and selfish highlight reel material.

He had a good game yesterday, but what he needs to continue to work on is getting his head turned around to the ball. There is

a whole lot of "incidental" contact that is allowed in the NFL, but only if the corner makes a believable effort of turning

his head towards the pass. Then he can fall, trip, lean, or get his legs tangled up with the receiver with rarely a call

against him.

The other times I have seen McKelvin get beat deep I felt it had more to do him expecting help over the top with our safeties

but they appear to arrive too late - that falls on Byrd, Whitner, Wilson, and Scott. I refuse to be too hard on

those guys because our D-Line and Linebackers have struggled so bad in the past on run defense that our safeties had to

respect just about any play action. Defense really comes down to each group being able to trust the abilities of the next,

once one group starts trying to cover for another it can will quickly fall apart.

B-)

Edited by ColdBlueNorth

when were they? i certainly dont remember any

how about that one super bowl, where michael irvin caught like 50 passes on him...

in response to the original poster, no, jd williams didn't have any good games. EVER. never.