Nick Fairley - DE/DT Auburn

My Impressions/Ratings:

Fairley: Most scheme-versatile of the bunch. DT43 or DE34, you don't have to take him out. Most disruptive, nastiest in this draft

Dareus: Anchor-type stout lineman who is best run/pass combo of the bunch. Best fit for Bills current defense. Excels in run defense, passrush sacks too, a Ty Warren type, Defensive MVP in BCS Champ.2009, fluid, effortless, impossible for linemen to mirror, needs more muscle

Bowers: Best run defender, but most raw in pass rush right now with great potential, good first step, most upside, athletic build

Quinn: Tamba Hali type, a premier pass rusher, char issues but ++ OLB prospect in draft, loves contact, strong for size, +leverage, 2nd in NCAA in sacks- was DE so making transition to OLB and NFL, needs muscle, had brain tumor removed in HS

Clayborn: holds point well, might struggle as a RDE at next level- lacks speed, lacks 2ndary moves/agility. Doesn't show ability to dip shoulder or roll hips to turn corner. But--Orange Bowl MVP, hustles

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.gbnreport.com/weeklydraftorder.html

Presently, the Bills draft 4th.

Not for long, I don't think.

ARI and DEN play this week, and they are #5 and #6 on that list. There's a good chance one of them is going to lose.

I'm also looking for a bad weather day, pitting BUF's 3 best rushers (Jackson/Spiller/Fitzpatrick) vs. their best 3 rushers (Peyton Hillis/Colt McCoy with sore ankle/Josh Cribbs with 69 yards on the season).

Edited by Astrobot

Not for long, I don't think.

Maybe. Maybinot.

ARI and DEN play this week, and they are #5 and #6 on that list. There's a good chance one of them is going to lose.

I'm also looking for a bad weather day, pitting BUF's 3 best rushers (Jackson/Spiller/Fitzpatrick) vs. their best 3 rushers (Peyton Hillis/Colt McCoy with sore ankle/Josh Cribbs with 69 yards on the season).

OK, so you are either thinking that ARI or DEN will lose so bad that the NFL will deduct a W from their total, or you are assuming the Bills are going to win. B-)

I admit, I don't watch college football...(hmmm, come to think of it...I guess that I have that in common with Tom Modrak).

Anyways, I just looked at 2...count 'em: dos....videos of this guy on YouTube.

I'd pass.

His cheap shot antics will handicap whatever team he goes on, no matter the skill level. I just saw him spear a QB, in the back, well after the ball was thrown.

We wont get more than 4 wins. Thats a certainty. If you look at the teams with 4 or less wins there are 8 teams. Arizona plays Den, Dal, SF, and Car. one team will have to win those games. SF and Dal are going to win at least 1 game getting them to 5. Arizona or Den have to win 1 because they play eachother - getting one to at least 4 wins. Carolina, Cincy, and Det will likely not win enough games. We wont draft later than 4th, which makes by Big board go:

1-Luck

2-Bowers

3-Fairley

4-Dareus

Considering the CBs (P. Paterson won just the Benarik award) and WRs available we should have a shot at a couple of these guys.

I also dont agree that Bowers is a raw passrusher. He gets off blocks very well and turns the corner. He leads the nations in sacks and TFL (I think) so he cant be that bad.

Edited by Thoner7

My Impressions/Ratings:

Fairley: Most scheme-versatile of the bunch. DT43 or DE34, you don't have to take him out. Most disruptive, nastiest in this draft

Dareus: Anchor-type stout lineman who is best run/pass combo of the bunch. Best fit for Bills current defense. Excels in run defense, passrush sacks too, a Ty Warren type, Defensive MVP in BCS Champ.2009, fluid, effortless, impossible for linemen to mirror, needs more muscle

Bowers: Best run defender, but most raw in pass rush right now with great potential, good first step, most upside, athletic build

Quinn: Tamba Hali type, a premier pass rusher, char issues but ++ OLB prospect in draft, loves contact, strong for size, +leverage, 2nd in NCAA in sacks- was DE so making transition to OLB and NFL, needs muscle, had brain tumor removed in HS

Clayborn: holds point well, might struggle as a RDE at next level- lacks speed, lacks 2ndary moves/agility. Doesn't show ability to dip shoulder or roll hips to turn corner. But--Orange Bowl MVP, hustles

that's scary about bowers being raw in pass rush.. this past year he had 15.5 sacks. :o

We wont get more than 4 wins. Thats a certainty. If you look at the teams with 4 or less wins there are 8 teams. Arizona plays Den, Dal, SF, and Car. one team will have to win those games. SF and Dal are going to win at least 1 game getting them to 5. Arizona or Den have to win 1 because they play eachother - getting one to at least 4 wins. Carolina, Cincy, and Det will likely not win enough games. We wont draft later than 4th, which makes by Big board go:

1-Luck

2-Bowers

3-Fairley

4-Dareus

Considering the CBs (P. Paterson won just the Benarik award) and WRs available we should have a shot at a couple of these guys.

I also dont agree that Bowers is a raw passrusher. He gets off blocks very well and turns the corner. He leads the nations in sacks and TFL (I think) so he cant be that bad.

As much as I wanted them to win against Pitt, I want them to lose against Cleveland. We cannot drop below # 4 in the picks as I would LOVE any of these 4 above.....I can't stand games like Cleveland - who gives a crap if they win or lose (just get good O line play and I'll be happy). Now, if it's the Pats or Jets, different story.

Edited by BuffaloBaumer

Him, Dareus, Bowers, and Luck are all underclassmen. Considering we will be picking no later than 4, that’s 3 top guys who would be perfect for us that may not even declare.

On one hand they could all come out to collect that big rookie contract before the rookie cap, on the other hand, there could be an outlook that means no season and they all stay in school.

Lets home this CBA doesn’t really F us in the rear with no lube.

I am curious, and maybe it's a stupid question, but what happens if all these underclassmen come out, get drafted, and then there is a lockout? If the whole season is canceled, and they can't go to work, would it be against the rules for them to go back to school until the cba is agreed upon? If they can't go to work for their team maybe they'd at least be allowed to go back to school to finish their degree. I can't see them being allowed to play ball for their school again. I don't know, I guess I am just wondering what their options would be under that scenario. Anyone have an idea?

I am curious, and maybe it's a stupid question, but what happens if all these underclassmen come out, get drafted, and then there is a lockout? If the whole season is canceled, and they can't go to work, would it be against the rules for them to go back to school until the cba is agreed upon? If they can't go to work for their team maybe they'd at least be allowed to go back to school to finish their degree. I can't see them being allowed to play ball for their school again. I don't know, I guess I am just wondering what their options would be under that scenario. Anyone have an idea?

I doubt it. When Mike Williams declared after his frosh year, then the NFL won their appeal to limit the draft to 3 yrs removed from HS, he wasn’t allowed to go back and play in college. I think the NCAA did him a huge disservice as he never played a single down or collected a dime, but I would image the same thing to happen again.

I admit, I don't watch college football...(hmmm, come to think of it...I guess that I have that in common with Tom Modrak).

Anyways, I just looked at 2...count 'em: dos....videos of this guy on YouTube.

I'd pass.

His cheap shot antics will handicap whatever team he goes on, no matter the skill level. I just saw him spear a QB, in the back, well after the ball was thrown.

Then I guess it was a mistake for the Lions to take Ndamukong Suh and the Steelers should just cut James Harrison. :unsure:

I wouldnt mind an aggressive and nasty player on this defense.

They are definitely not NCAA eligible once they have been drafted. Its not like the NBA where you can declare and not get an agent, then if you're not drafted you can retain your eligibility. However who knows if the NCAA will allow this type of arrangement this year.The NCAA isn't really fast acting and they would have to announce something soon so that players don't sign with an agent; if the player signs with an agent its not likely they would be allowed any eligibility in any plausibly scenario.

The Draft is basically an agreement between team owners on how to divvy up new prospects. They don't want to create bidding wars for new players.

There is no explicit agreement between the player and the team that drafted him. (Technically to enter the draft you have to sign a whole bunch of agreements but we're just summarizing here)

Contract negotiations for top drafted players don't really heat up until June and July leading into camp.

If the lockout lasts until camp and the regular season, the drafted players are free to do whatever they like.

If they want to ask their university to continue to pursue their degree as a non scholarship student they can do that, if they want to play in the UFL, CFL, or Arena League they can do that(if Arena wasn't partially owned by the NFL they would be smart to have a fall season.)

However if they blow a knee, they can cost themselves money when the NFL gets their **** together and it is time to negotiate a contract.

The team that drafted them owns the rights to the player until March 1, 2012. If for some reason there is still no CBA in place, I believe there is still a college draft and the player can choose to reenter the draft for 2012.

Edited by Why So Serious?

They are definitely not NCAA eligible once they have been drafted. Its not like the NBA where you can declare and not get an agent, then if you're not drafted you can retain your eligibility. However who knows if the NCAA will allow this type of arrangement this year.The NCAA isn't really fast acting and they would have to announce something soon so that players don't sign with an agent; if the player signs with an agent its not likely they would be allowed any eligibility in any plausibly scenario.

The Draft is basically an agreement between team owners on how to divvy up new prospects. They don't want to create bidding wars for new players.

There is no explicit agreement between the player and the team that drafted him. (Technically to enter the draft you have to sign a whole bunch of agreements but we're just summarizing here)

Contract negotiations for top drafted players don't really heat up until June and July leading into camp.

If the lockout lasts until camp and the regular season, the drafted players are free to do whatever they like.

If they want to ask their university to continue to pursue their degree as a non scholarship student they can do that, if they want to play in the UFL, CFL, or Arena League they can do that(if Arena wasn't partially owned by the NFL they would be smart to have a fall season.)

However if they blow a knee, they can cost themselves money when the NFL gets their **** together and it is time to negotiate a contract.

The team that drafted them owns the rights to the player until March 1, 2012. If for some reason there is still no CBA in place, I believe there is still a college draft and the player can choose to reenter the draft for 2012.

Great info. Thanks!

Then I guess it was a mistake for the Lions to take Ndamukong Suh and the Steelers should just cut James Harrison. :unsure:

I wouldnt mind an aggressive and nasty player on this defense.

Agree 100% (although the Steelers did cut Harrison. Fairley and Newton are the top 2 reason why Auburn is playing in the championship game. Every game I have watched, Fairley lights is up. He will be extremely difficult to pass on.

I would like to see us go back to the 4-3....draft Bowers....and go back to the cover 2 that made Byrd look so good.

The two problems that people had with the cover 2 is that if a runner got past the down linemen then he was gone AND lack of pass rush from the down linemen.....

Well....

- I think that the Addition of Troupe really helps here....you combine him with Williams and you now have some beef in the middle of the line......NOW what you need are guys on the ends that can hold the edge and get to the passer.....insert Bowers and Carrington.....then you also gave the money to Kelsay

- But we need to pay attention to our outside backers to....regardless of scheme we need to upgrade in that area.