Redskins suspend Haynesworth for season

papazoid

The piece of sh*t has collected $40 million in two seasons of sandbagging, malingering, and being a malcontent.

He's been a bust for the Redskins on the field. Off the field:

"Arrest warrants were issued against Haynesworth in two Tennessee counties in May 2006 stemming from a traffic incident on Interstate 40. Both sets of charges were dropped in June 2006. The judge in the Putnam County case tossed the charges on the grounds that the alleged offense happened out of their jurisdiction. In Smith County, the district attorney dismissed the charges. In March 2009, Haynesworth was indicted on two misdemeanor traffic charges stemming from a December 2008 car accident in Tennessee.[26] In an accident on Interstate 65, Corey Edmonson was partially paralyzed after colliding with Haynesworth's car. Haynesworth was driving his Ferrari at speeds in excess of 100 mph when he struck Edmonson's vehicle, which struck a concrete barrier.[27]

On June 22, 2010, it has been reported that Clayton Bank & Trust is suing the NFL lineman, alleging that Haynesworth has failed to make payments on a loan in the amount of more than $2.38 million. The suit was filed in the Knox County Chancery Court on June 18, 2010. According to papers, Haynesworth entered a commercial loan agreement for the original principal amount of $2,381,688.58 on June 27, 2009. On February 27, 2009 the two parties entered into an Extension Agreement with an effective date of February 27, 2010, according to the suit. The attorney for Clayton Bank & Trust, Hugh B. Ward, Jr., is seeking a little over $2.4 million. [28]

In 2010, Silvia Mena, a stripper from New York, claimed in a $10 million lawsuit that Haynesworth impregnated her and left her with no financial assistance.[29] Also in 2010, Albert Haynesworth's half-brother Lance McCoy aged 23, was killed in a car crash on October 7, 2010."

The rumor I heard: out til 2/230 on Wednesday, leads to a lazy practice Thursday. Out late Thursday leads to him showing up smelling like booze Friday. Late to practice because team wanted to give him breathalyzer and he refused, union backed him, team made him inactive. Between the suspension and his teammates adamantly coming out against him on the record, it seems possible. He admits to being out til bars closed Wednesday but claims to have stopped drinking earlier. Says he went home from the bar early Thursday because he wasnt feeling well.

Even worse for Haynesworth. The accounts I had read (and somewhat mis-memorized) were actually much more forgiving to him.

He's actually one of the very few pro athletes that I can say that I really hate. And I have no trouble saying that.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually the salient point is that the suspension is without pay.

It's insubordination:

"Coach Mike Shanahan says in a statement that Haynesworth “repeatedly refused to cooperate with our coaching staff in a variety of ways over an extended period of time.”

Shanahan says Haynesworth “consistently indicated” to defensive coaches that he wouldn’t play in certain defensive packages and refused to follow coaches’ instructions in practice and during games."

I live in a Maryland suberb of DC so I'm getting a lot of information on Haynesworth's suspension. There is a subtext to the story. The organization is trying to build a case to get back some advanced money. As you accurately noted they are trying to make the case that he withheld his services thus violated the terms of the contract.

Actually the salient point is that the suspension is without pay.

It's insubordination:

"Coach Mike Shanahan says in a statement that Haynesworth “repeatedly refused to cooperate with our coaching staff in a variety of ways over an extended period of time.”

Shanahan says Haynesworth “consistently indicated” to defensive coaches that he wouldn’t play in certain defensive packages and refused to follow coaches’ instructions in practice and during games."

It's not without pay. Collective bargaining agreement is clear he gets paid. All it does is allow Skins to determine which team he goes to next, and pick up some compensation or trade value.

Actually they have the worst defense in the league. So i dont know what you want Shanahan to do. This is the right move.

Their offense is worse than their defense, look up the stats.

For those that dont get the clear implication, it's that Shanny is trying to put up smoke for his team's poor performance by pinning all the problems on Haynesworth.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

It's not without pay. Collective bargaining agreement is clear he gets paid. All it does is allow Skins to determine which team he goes to next, and pick up some compensation or trade value.

This article mentioned it'll cost him more than$3.5 million.

Edited by skijef

For those that dont get the clear implication, it's that Shanny is trying to put up smoke for his team's poor performance by pinning all the problems on Haynesworth.

Ummmm...Their defense is ranked 32nd in the league. Their offense is ranked 20th in the league. So how is their offense worse than their defense? So why dont YOU look up the stats? :thumbdown:

Edited by DreReed83

Ummmm...Their defense is ranked 32nd in the league. Their offense is ranked 20th in the league. So how is their offense worse than their defense? So why dont YOU look up the stats? :thumbdown:

points per game their offense is 5th from the bottom, defense 10th

This article mentioned it'll cost him more than$3.5 million.

I had read earlier they have to pay him.

i know people are lining up saying that we shouldn't sign him but we need playmakers on our def and he fits the profile. sometimes you need players who play with an edge both on the field and in life...look at lt, ray lewis mike vick, etc. its never good for pr but if the guy can help you win games you take a look at him. the skins sold this guy on being the face of the team in the 4-3 system where he can get after the qb and put up big stats. could you imagine a line with him kyle williams, carrington and maybe a top end from this coming draft or kelsay? it would be terrible for pr but this could help our def stop the run.

You don't get paid when you show up drunk, or don't do what your boss asks you to do. Neither will he.

Also, is Shanahan not supposed to deal with insubordination by a defensive player because his offense has also been bad?

Are you kidding me?!? where has anyone ever said that? where has Shanahan ever said "We'd be winning if it wasnt for Haynesworth"?!?

This has nothing to do with the performance of the Skins, or their Defense, or their Offense. It's about an individual player thinking he is bigger than his team. A problem that is rampant amongst high-paid players.

No one has ever tried to hide the Skins sucking behind the Haynesworth issue. Just stop.

This comment makes no sense at all.

agreed. I am a bills fan in the D.C. area and the redskins have had some very serious injury problems on offense, plus they drafted two WRs a couple years ago who were busts. Shanny is pretty much starting from scratch on offense. Bills fans are just jealous and mad that Shanny turned down Ralph's offer last year. Redskins are a much more stable organization than the Bills, who hang on Ralph's every heartbeat. No high quality talent is coming to the Bills when either Ralph is still the owner or comparable $$ are available elsewhere. just the way it is. lovable losers, the bills. at least Snyder is trying to compete for the title. Ralph is just happy to have a franchise.

Are you kidding me?!? where has anyone ever said that? where has Shanahan ever said "We'd be winning if it wasnt for Haynesworth"?!?This has nothing to do with the performance of the Skins, or their Defense, or their Offense. It's about an individual player thinking he is bigger than his team. A problem that is rampant amongst high-paid players.

No one has ever tried to hide the Skins sucking behind the Haynesworth issue. Just stop.

Shanny did by saying he's conduct is detrimental to the team, blah blah.

Sure Hayneswroth is an issue, but Shanny is blowing it out of proportion to cover HIS OWN issues as a coach

You don't get paid when you show up drunk, or don't do what your boss asks you to do. Neither will he.

Also, is Shanahan not supposed to deal with insubordination by a defensive player because his offense has also been bad?

The NFL labor agreement is written in a highly favorable manner for the players. Read it. Has nothing to do with your sense of right and wrong.

The NFL labor agreement is written in a highly favorable manner for the players. Read it. Has nothing to do with your sense of right and wrong.

I agree that it has nothing to do with my sense of right or wrong. That doesn't change the fact that according to the CBA players can be suspended without pay (with cause) for up to 4 games.

See: Owens, Terrell and Philadelphia Eagles

How would Haynesworth do as a DE in our 3-4? I know he is an ass, but so is Shanahan. He could solidify our line and we can devote our offseason stocking up pass rushers and LBers

When Haynesworth was told he would move to NT, that is when he said he wouldn't work. He is a 4-3 player and will only play in a 4-3. Why???? He's an idiot that needs not to play in the NFL. If a person is given 100+ million to play, then they play. 3-4, or 4-3. I am extremely glad Shanny never came to Buffalo, but believe this is not shanny on this. Albert needs to get sued for that cash back, but seeing who he works for, who cares. I only wish he played for the cowboys and caused this to them...........

Sure Hayneswroth is an issue, but Shanny is blowing it out of proportion to cover HIS OWN issues as a coach

If he is reacting strongly (I don't agree that it's blown out of proportion, showing up drunk for practice to me definitely warrants a suspension), I think it has a lot more to do with the amount of $ Haynesworth is being paid.

I agree that it has nothing to do with my sense of right or wrong. That doesn't change the fact that according to the CBA players can be suspended without pay (with cause) for up to 4 games.

See: Owens, Terrell and Philadelphia Eagles

so worst case it costs him less than 3% of his contract with the Skins.