How does Andre Johnson get so open?

1B4IDie

Johnson is arguably the #1 WR in the NFL.....Lee is probably around the 20th.

so i guess thats like asking why can't Fitzpatrick be like Manning or Brady.

I was gonna say who could you even "argue," but I guess Roddy White has made a case as of late. But yeah, Johnson has been the best receiver in the NFL for a while. Big, strong, fast, physical and sure-handed. He'd probably be a better OLB than Aaron Maybin.

Johnson is arguably the #1 WR in the NFL.....Lee is probably around the 20th.

so i guess thats like asking why can't Fitzpatrick be like Manning or Brady.

In what sort of twisted metric did you use to calculated Lee as "20th" best WR in the league?

Oh I know, the Bills delusional homer metric :beer:

sarcasm anybody?

Mango is debunking the myth of Lee Evans in a sarcastic manor, and I applaud both his approach and intent.

Having a Safety play 15-25 yards off the line of scrimmage on the same side as a receiver is not a major deterrent to throw to the receiver if the receiver is any good. There is a perception by many people that rolling a safety is like putting handcuffs on the receiver and the receiver could never make a play if there is safety is on their side of the field.

Its kind of the safety's job to do that. What do you think they do against other teams beside the Bills?

Do you think the Safety stands at the 50 and waits for someone to run near him?

Lee Evans a good WR, not great and rolling a Safety to his side should have little effect to a true # 1 WR it also does not wipe the field clear of defenders for the other WRs. WRs still have to make plays to get open.

Look at Stevie's drop, there is a corner and safety covering him, yet he still gets open. Why can't Lee do that?

Mango is debunking the myth of Lee Evans in a sarcastic manor, and I applaud both his approach and intent.

Having a Safety play 15-25 yards off the line of scrimmage on the same side as a receiver is not a major deterrent to throw to the receiver if the receiver is any good. There is a perception by many people that rolling a safety is like putting handcuffs on the receiver and the receiver could never make a play if there is safety is on their side of the field.

Its kind of the safety's job to do that. What do you think they do against other teams beside the Bills?

Lee Evans a good WR, not great and rolling a Safety to his side should have little effect to a true # 1 WR it also does not wipe the field clear of defenders for the other WRs. WRs still have to make plays to get open.

Look at Stevie's drop, there is a corner and safety covering him, yet he still gets open. Why can't Lee do that?

Has anybody actually done the analysis to see how often it is that defenses roll their coverage to Lee this year? A game by game trend might be, ah, interesting.

Bingo! Stevie runs a great route, and seems to adjust better to balls in the air. The truly great WRs (like Andre Johnson) put it all together & go get the ball when it's anywhere in the vicinity. Andre Johnson is also fwiggin huge, and can better withstand the pounding he gets when finding soft spots in zones.

Yup, right on. The reason why rolling a safety over to Lee shuts him down is becasue his ability to get open seems to center on outrunning coverage. The question asked in the thread opener is right on, why is our "clear #1WR" not able to get open more often?