Whitner Career Year

pBills

Great job Whitner... for all of the crap you receive it's nice to hear this:

Whitner, tied for fourth in the league with a team-leading 104 tackles (most among all NFL defensive backs), credited the change from former defensive coordinator Perry Fewell’s Tampa 2 system to current coordinator George Edwards’ 3-4.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

eh, tackles isn't really a great statistic to judge how good a DB is doing. But I do think he's having a better year than any other year I can remember him having before. He seems to be in the right place at the right time more often (hitting a receiver right as the ball gets there, etc)

Who would have guessed? Perhaps his contract is up soon. Or, perhaps he's been on the field 500 plays more than any other DB in the league. Just a hunch, how many of those tackles were +/- 3 yards of the line of scrimmage?

He's been paid way more than he's worth since he's been with the Bills. Alas, he might even get a raise. Bills always pay above market value for mediocre players.

Great job Whitner... for all of the crap you receive it's nice to hear this:

Whitner, tied for fourth in the league with a team-leading 104 tackles (most among all NFL defensive backs), credited the change from former defensive coordinator Perry Fewell’s Tampa 2 system to current coordinator George Edwards’ 3-4.

That "change" has produced one of the worst defenses in the league. But hey, if it works for Donte's stats, I guess that's pretty awesome.

That "change" has produced one of the worst defenses in the league. But hey, if it works for Donte's stats, I guess that's pretty awesome.

Having no true passing rushing DE is part of that reason. Hopefully they will draft DE with the first pick.

On average, our D is on the field 33:42 per game which gives them about a 20% increased exposure to the opposition's O.

How many more hits could a MLB player get with 20% more at bats? It's not insignificant.

Yeah, let's not give the guy any credit.

Having no true passing rushing DE is part of that reason. Hopefully they will draft DE with the first pick.

I agree that Schobel was a solid pass rusher, but his loss cannot explain the dive our D has taken. Teams don't bother passing on us anyway.

Just a hunch, how many of those tackles were +/- 3 yards of the line of scrimmage?

I will no longer judge back 6/7 players on that stat as it has more to do with the front 3/4, at least that is what i think. I was in the crowd making the same argument agaisnt Fletcher, you know the " tackling machine 7 yds down the field" crowd, thought he was no big loss and we would surely upgrade with just about anyone.

Ya know what..he was a big loss and that dude is still ballin at a high level 5 years later

Yeah, let's not give the guy any credit.

bull ****. I didn't say he wasn't having a good year. But like most things in life - there are multiple factors that affect outcomes.

Its also the same change everyone here was whining and crying for that "Had to be done".

This defence hasn't been great, but its not Whitners fault, as for the comment about making tackles 3+ yards from the line of scrimage, hes a DB, atleast he's making those tackles cause the DB's are the last line of defence between the offence and he endzone. Theres atleast 7 guys infront of him that are supposed to be stopping guys at the LOS

Who would have guessed? Perhaps his contract is up soon. Or, perhaps he's been on the field 500 plays more than any other DB in the league. Just a hunch, how many of those tackles were +/- 3 yards of the line of scrimmage?

He's been paid way more than he's worth since he's been with the Bills. Alas, he might even get a raise. Bills always pay above market value for mediocre players.

Well seeing that he is a Safty and that he plays 10+ yards of the line of scrimmage I would expect at least 90% of his tackles are on the + side of 3 yards but it just goes to show how weak are LB corp is that Whitner is the team leader in tackles

Its also the same change everyone here was whining and crying for that "Had to be done".

This defence hasn't been great, but its not Whitners fault, as for the comment about making tackles 3+ yards from the line of scrimage, hes a DB, atleast he's making those tackles cause the DB's are the last line of defence between the offence and he endzone. Theres atleast 7 guys infront of him that are supposed to be stopping guys at the LOS

Not blaming Whitner. But he's no better than he was a year ago. He's not a playmaker. He cleans up at the end of runs.

I will no longer judge back 6/7 players on that stat as it has more to do with the front 3/4, at least that is what i think. I was in the crowd making the same argument agaisnt Fletcher, you know the " tackling machine 7 yds down the field" crowd, thought he was no big loss and we would surely upgrade with just about anyone.

Ya know what..he was a big loss and that dude is still ballin at a high level 5 years later

Welcome to the club! One of my largest peeves ever on TBD is the " tackles 7 yards downfield" crew... It just makes you want to :wallbash: .

The guy is having a decent year why crap on him? Give credit to the few on defense that deserve it. If you want to crap on someone in the D start with Stroud then all the LBs...

Not crapping on Whitner. Just pointing out that he's no better than last year. If this a "career year" than we are seeing the best he will be.

On average, our D is on the field 33:42 per game which gives them about a 20% increased exposure to the opposition's O.

How many more hits could a MLB player get with 20% more at bats? It's not insignificant.

Yeah but the other team spends an average of two of those minutes kneeling.

Nanker your math sucks.

33:42= 2022 seconds

30:00=1800 seconds (the theoretical average if no team ever played OT)

2022/1800= 1.123, meaning 12% above average.

you could have looked at as 33 is 10% more than 30 and 36 is 20% more than 30. Before you spew anything about math, make sure it is correct.

signed,

a math teacher