Did you know Cam Newton was ineligible

Beerball

Should we be disgusted that this happened and the NCAA most likely blew it under the rug to save face?

Should we be disgusted that this happens on about every team with many top recruits?

Should we just forget this and be more concerned there is no play offs yet?

Of all of those, we'll simply watch the BCS bowl games, be amazed at Newton and all of the other paid athletes and declare one the absolute, without contention, number 1.

I am more disgusted with the NCAA and their hypocrisy. They can make hundreds of millions of dollars off the backs of these "amateur athletes", but yet they get nothing in return other than a free education, and in return are not allowed to work. It makes so little sense that these players should literally be broke, that the NCAA has brought this on themselves. Why are these players not given some sort of stipend? Is it any wonder they turn to the only place they can to get money? Would a $500/month stipend per athlete really hurt the NCAA that much considering they are bringing in hundreds of times that amount to the NCAA?

I agree, because there's less controversy about the BCS system that way. But I don't buy for second that making Cam Newton ineligible would hurt ratings.

I think it would hurt the ratings for the SEC title game, but probably not the BCS title game.

(So yeah, you're probably right, the NCAA probably doesn't care at all if I watch Oregon/Oregon State this Saturday instead of Auburn/South Carolina - but I do think TV ratings for the SEC game would be lower w;out Newton playing.)

He's been cleared for Saturday and the league is finished with its review of the Mississippi State pay for play scenario. They found that daddy did try to get $$ which as you say is very much against the NCAA rules. The NCAA has chosen to allow him to play Saturday because they (in their words) look at each instance on a case by case basis.

What difference will it make if it takes them 2 years to determine that Auburn did pay for his services? He's long gone, his money and the money the school received from conference championship and BCS games is spent. They know that he did wrong here (through the actions of his father) and they choose to let him play. I find that interesting.

Meanwhile some WR (maybe Alabama?) was suspended for a month because he sold a game jersey for $1000.

Meanwhile Dez Bryant was suspended for 7-8 games because he lied about having a burger with Deion Sanders. Did the NCAA ever determine whether Sanders was using undo influence on Bryant? IDK because I haven't heard a word about this since the suspension.

Meanwhile schools have been scolded for helping a player get home during a bereavement period.

Not a fan of the fat-cat-over-endowed-team-boosters-and-bowl-organizers-that-run-roughshod-over-coaches-players-and-teams-which-perverts-the governing body of intercollegiate sports into making unequal, twisted and corrupt decisions regarding player eligibility.

Exactly.

There is no way in hell it would be fair to anyone if the STOPPED Cam Newton from playing right now until a full investigation is complete. Everything so far is an allegation. And I personally assume that his father is totally guilty. You can't stop a kid from playing in a game unless you know pretty much for sure what happened, whether he was involved or not. You can't take it back. You can't just assume he did wrong even if you're pretty sure he did wrong until a final ruling is made.

In the long run Newton will be known as the Kurt Blood of college sports and that is a good thing. The NCAA, BCS and the schools are legalized thieves. They are printing money and do not have to shell out one dime for labor. Although you have to admire them for their monopoly and utter disdain for anything resembling fair, that doesn't mean their system won't come crashing down some day.

The only difference is that Blood played for the Cardinals, the most well respected and prominent team in baseball. Newton plays for Auburn; just another team in the corrupt SEC which is well known for cheating. It may take a case at a better school and program like ND to make people realize that this is everywhere.

Its real convenient for the NCAA and BCS that they're avoiding a TCU vs Oregon National Championship with this rushed decision; then in 2 years there will be "new Information" that will lead to Auburn vacating the SEC championship and National Championship.

Does the NCAA and BCS have to vacate all the checks they cashed because people want to watch Cam Newton play?

That would be true except for the fact that the Gamecocks are going to take it to them on saturday and thus remove auburn from the national championship game... GO COCKS!!!! :thumbsup:

Should we be disgusted that this happened and the NCAA most likely blew it under the rug to save face?

What's a little thing like our credibility compared to the disaster of having to allow TCU to play in our shiny, prime time "championship" game?

-- [/The NCAA]

There is no way in hell it would be fair to anyone if the STOPPED Cam Newton from playing right now until a full investigation is complete. Everything so far is an allegation. And I personally assume that his father is totally guilty. You can't stop a kid from playing in a game unless you know pretty much for sure what happened, whether he was involved or not. You can't take it back. You can't just assume he did wrong even if you're pretty sure he did wrong until a final ruling is made.

Disagree Dog. The NCAA has determined that the father did in fact offer the kid to MS for cash. That's as clear a violation of NCAA rules as you can get.

At this point they don't know whether or not Cam knew about the scheme and I don't know that they care about that too much. They'll now focus on Auburn and look for 'impropriety' there.

They chose to reinstate his eligibility, but there was a violation.

What's a little thing like our credibility compared to the disaster of having to allow TCU to play in our shiny, prime time "championship" game?

-- [/The NCAA]

I find it hilarious that the conference TCU is moving to is barely above their current one when it comes to talent, yet it will all of a sudden provide an unbeaten TCU next season a shot as a "legit" contender from a "BCS" conference.

You know the NCAA is hoping and praying for both an unbeaten Auburn-Oregon championship*, with Oregon winning by 3 so they won't have egg on their face when Auburn eventually has to vacate all their wins for this season.

Edited by Ramius

I have to say I don't blame any college athlete that takes money. The rules and guidelines for employment and money making opportunities are extremely limited for the athletes that make millions for the schools and ncaa. I have no problem with a player "getting his" when given the opportunity, as you never know when the gravy train will end.

Btw I understand they are given a full ride worth upwards of 40k a year however education is not neccesarily the top priority for a majority of these athletes that get paid. Biding their time until they can turn pro is.

Understand the sentiment, and agree that the NCAA is THE MOST HYPOCRITICAL organization on the planet -- However, it's hard to justify stealing a horse because the one you were given (earned?) isn't your favorite color. These scholarship athletes are treated like gods. The fact that their FREE $40,00+ education isn't their highest priority certainly doesn't justify a little sumpin, sumpin on the side! No matter how wacked the rules are, if you belong to a special club you should follow their rules. I'm sure it's a very difficult life for them to survive. Take the paddling and say "Thank you sir, may I have another." -- then count all your f'in money in a few years . . .

Who doesn't work for someone who's making more money off of you than you get paid in return?

Understand the sentiment, and agree that the NCAA is THE MOST HYPOCRITICAL organization on the planet -- However, it's hard to justify stealing a horse because the one you were given (earned?) isn't your favorite color. These scholarship athletes are treated like gods. The fact that their FREE $40,00+ education isn't their highest priority certainly doesn't justify a little sumpin, sumpin on the side! No matter how wacked the rules are, if you belong to a special club you should follow their rules. I'm sure it's a very difficult life for them to survive. Take the paddling and say "Thank you sir, may I have another." -- then count all your f'in money in a few years . . .

Who doesn't work for someone who's making more money off of you than you get paid in return?

There are roughly 9600 division 1 football players, and only 250 will get drafted. Thats 2.6%. What are the other 97.4% supposed to do when the NCAA is done with them and they have no future in football? Count their minimum wage paychecks they're going to earn because the NCAA and colleges make it nearly impossible to earn an actual degree that will benefit them in the future?