Colleges protecting their logos

Beerball

“If they systematically don’t protect their rights, then down the road someone who does really want to rip them off could theoretically have a defense,” said Marty Brochstein, senior vice president of the International Licensing Industry Merchandisers’ Association. “They could say, ’Well, if you didn’t protect the mark then, why are you protecting it now?’”

This is the reason.

A lot of trademark protection stories can seem petty and overbearing at first glance. But unfortunately, it is a strong legal principle that you need to take affirmative steps to protect your mark. You don't have the luxury of being flexible when deciding who and who not to sue. Any evidence of cutting someone a break could be used by a legitimate infringer to defend their case. It's pretty rigid, but it's the rules of the game right now.

This is the reason.

A lot of trademark protection stories can seem petty and overbearing at first glance. But unfortunately, it is a strong legal principle that you need to take affirmative steps to protect your mark. You don't have the luxury of being flexible when deciding who and who not to sue. Any evidence of cutting someone a break could be used by a legitimate infringer to defend their case. It's pretty rigid, but it's the rules of the game right now.

I haven't taken IP Law yet, but it would seem that as long as there is a licensing agreement (say, for a nominal fee), that would be enough to protect their rights from a public domain argument. I guess even that may be too much for high schools, though.

How about something like this:

link

vs.

this

Different mascots, but the same 'G'.

I have no idea who used it first, but they're both just a color swap of the Packers' logo. So add another layer to the possibilities in a situation like that.

Anyway, I don't think I have much of a problem with this at all. If they had tried to get money out of it, then it would be a completely different story.

Edited by shrader