Wikileaks under major attack

DrDawkinstein

Part of me is hoping it continues and Julian (the owner) puts up the key to his "Hostage Torrent". A while back he put up a huge torrent of some serious **** that no one should ever see that Wikileaks encrypted and put on bittorrent.

If he gets mad enough and releases the key to unlock it, then all those secrets are out there, and no one can stop them.

Which "part of you" is that? The same part that thinks smoking pot is cool?

An angry dumb punk can get lots of people killed for no good reason because he is having a tantrum and "part of you" wants to see it happen?

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Devil's Advocate...

The servers are not in the United States and Assange is not a US citizen. What interest or jurisdiction does the DoJ or any states' Attorney General have?

Funny you say that, INTERPOL just issued a warrant for his arrest...get this...on sex crimes. The news said forced consent and something else. I did not see the origin of the charges but if the US can get him here he is f'd! This is total crap

*EDIT*

Fox News article on warrant - 2nd edit to come

Court documents filed by the prosecutor show Assange is suspected of raping and sexually molesting a woman in the town of Enkoping, central Sweden. He's suspected of sexual molestation and unlawful coercion of the second woman, in Stockholm.

A police report obtained by The Associated Press shows that both women had met Assange in connection with a seminar he gave in Stockholm on Aug. 14. The report shows the women filed their complaints together six days later.

Notice, they have not included the ages of the women, leaving the average idiot to assume it COULD be a child or teen.

Edited by jboyst62

Funny you say that, INTERPOL just issued a warrant for his arrest...get this...on sex crimes. The news said forced consent and something else. I did not see the origin of the charges but if the US can get him here he is f'd! This is total crap

*EDIT*

Notice, they have not included the ages of the women, leaving the average idiot to assume it COULD be a child or teen.

So you are on his side. Correct?

Im for wikileaks. All things considered we're better off knowing whats going on with our government and other large organizations. I read theres damning documents to be posted soon about the activities of a large US bank. lets get it out in the public. i dont trust governments and big business

Im for wikileaks. All things considered we're better off knowing whats going on with our government and other large organizations. I read theres damning documents to be posted soon about the activities of a large US bank. lets get it out in the public. i dont trust governments and big business

So you are for causing a war, correct?

Funny you say that, INTERPOL just issued a warrant for his arrest

Funny how? I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to f*cking amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny?

Sorry, couldn't resist the line from Goodfellas :lol:

I did not see the origin of the charges but if the US can get him here he is f'd! This is total crap

The US would first need to file charges against him. After charges have been filed the DoJ would have to request extradition from whatever country is currently detaining him. Then it's up to whoever has him whether they want to grant extradition to US custody.

*EDIT*

You do recognize that the sex assault investigation is months old? The warrant was served after a Swedish court ruling a few weeks ago?

Your hero and the precious irony from his attorney:

The warrant for his arrest was rightly withdrawn within 24 hours (August 21, 2010) by Chief prosecutor Eva Finne, who found that there was no "reason to suspect that he has committed rape." Yet his name had already been deliberately and unlawfully disclosed to the press by Swedish authorities. The "rape" story was carried around the world and has caused Mr. Assange and his organization irreparable harm.

So you are for causing a war, correct?

no, i was staunchly opposed to iraq. and if we had wikileaks from the Bush admin the public might not have been duped into it.

i realize there are trade offs, but at the end of the day im for disclosure.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

no, i was staunchly opposed to iraq. and if we had wikileaks from the Bush admin the public might not have been duped into it.

So him perhaps kicking off a war in Korea is okay with you?

each case is different, and id say it looks like Korea is headed there with or without wikileaks. and maybe its better to confront them now versus waiting for them to do more damage anyway and build a bigger arsenal.

but no matter, at the end of the day i dont trust governments and other large organizations and special interest groups. and all things considered im on the side of the disclosure. sounds like youre comfortable with someone like Hilary concealing info ... im not. with large banks determing behind closed doors who they'll finance and who they'll bankrupt ... im not. with pecial interest groups like the neocons spreading bogus info to dupe us into a war in iraq .... again, im not.

you fail to acknowledge the benefits in all your posts.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

The cause of any war in Korea would be the crazy ahole who has been running that country for the last 30 or so years. Wiki leaks just released info about the relationship between China and PRK that is pretty valuable in that it lets people know China wouldn't really mind Kim Jong !@#$ing Crazy being gone and South Korea being in control of the peninsula. The objection they would have is US troops being above the UN line. I would like to know how you think that info is going to cause a war?

I also agree with Joe, that Bush would have had more trouble starting the foolish and ill conceived invasion of Iraq if more leaks had happened (I think it would have happened anyway but that is another issue).

Where would have we had been if Richard Nixon was not exposed by Deep Throat? Whistle blowers play important roles in a free press. Considering the buying up and marketing of the press the last 30-40 years and how opinions are sold as facts these days. I like that the internet has this use in todays world. I live in a country that the internet is scrubbed of all opposition view points or voices (Thailand, btw) and it is a scary almost nationalistic thing when only one side controls all the outlets. Freedom of the press is a very important issue that really is more important that the good scripts that some future Hollywood movie is going to make of it.

Bowery, you raise a subtle point I was considering. In the information age with so many outlets available to rapidly spread information, it's very dangerous if one group can control the information thats being distributed. Hence the info-age actually increases power of those in the know, versus democratizing it which is the accepted rule. to counter this, it makes open disclosure that much more important.

The internet being free and open is the first thing any country who wants to really control it's population shuts down. Living is Asia it makes it super apparent.

One thing they couldn't or wouldn't shut down during the last protests here was Twitter and I was very thankful for that as my life was safer (as I knew what places were dangerous) and I was much more well informed than even most Thais about what was happening in a timely manner.

Edited by bowery4

The cause of any war in Korea would be the crazy ahole who has been running that country for the last 30 or so years. Wiki leaks just released info about the relationship between China and PRK that is pretty valuable in that it lets people know China wouldn't really mind Kim Jong !@#$ing Crazy being gone and South Korea being in control of the peninsula. The objection they would have is US troops being above the UN line. I would like to know how you think that info is going to cause a war?

I also agree with Joe, that Bush would have had more trouble starting the foolish and ill conceived invasion of Iraq if more leaks had happened (I think it would have happened anyway but that is another issue).

Where would have we had been if Richard Nixon was not exposed by Deep Throat? Whistle blowers play important roles in a free press. Considering the buying up and marketing of the press the last 30-40 years and how opinions are sold as facts these days. I like that the internet has this use in todays world. I live in a country that the internet is scrubbed of all opposition view points or voices (Thailand, btw) and it is a scary almost nationalistic thing when only one side controls all the outlets. Freedom of the press is a very important issue that really is more important that the good scripts that some future Hollywood movie is going to make of it.

Letting that guy know that.

Yes, wikileaks provides a valuable public service to people who don't comprehend the difference between "secrecy" and "discretion". :wallbash: You people are unbelievable.

Particularly you. One of the main things preventing a war to this point has been the moderating influence of China in the whole mix. What do you think the revelation of China's indifference to the DPRK and acceptance in principle of a unified Korea led by the ROK does to that moderating influence?

Yeah 2 years of Nixon's policies of justifiable crimes. His impeachment/resignation was a truly great moment in our democracy, if you don't see it or know about it, it is your loss. We repeated the mistake with Bush and are going to pay for it for a very long time. Talk about not learning from your past.

Secrets are good for deception, the question would be is it useful to be deceptive about our public policies. If it is a secret they shouldn't make it so freaking easy to steal and release should they? I understand what you are saying but the free press is not living up to its name anymore. The wikileaks thing is a natural progression.

revelation of China's indifference to the DPRK

Haha your kidding right? China cares about its boarder, like America does with Mexico. A war will flood that boarder with people running away. That is where Chinas "moderation" is coming from.

The north knows it and uses it. If the north starts a war, they knew before now that China wasn't going to support them in much or maybe not at all. The Chinese like the south quite a lot, the government is not the issue, the money is. Plus they don't want any kind of military conflict with the US (their biggest trade partner and the fiscal basis of their economy in many ways).

What you don't understand about Asian culture is the concept of "face", they can not turn on the north publicly in some ways but they can drop them with out losing face. I do admit it is a dangerous situation but it is not because "leaks".

I lived in the South for a year and a half it is not hard to see the exchange that goes on in a fiscal and cultural way. The dear leader knows it and knew it before wiki leaks. He is crazy, not stupid.

Just a hunch - but my guess of secret Bush admin discussions on Iraq wouldn't have differed much from what's known publicly - Everyone thought that Saddam had WMDs, but they weren't the sole reason for the country's invasion.

But, carry on with your POV.

Just a hunch - but my guess of secret Bush admin discussions on Iraq wouldn't have differed much from what's known publicly - Everyone thought that Saddam had WMDs, but they weren't the sole reason for the country's invasion.

But, carry on with your POV.

This faux-news line that "Everyone thought that Saddam had WMDs" is a bunch of BS. UN inspector Hans Blix was closer to the situation than anyone. And when he said there aren't any the Bush crew with the media co-conspirators attacked him. Bush and the neocons figured out what they wanted to do first, and the cherry picked the info that would support it. And when it didnt exist, someone just made it up for them like the bogus "Saddam's buying yellow cake from Niger" charge.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack