Lee Evans

Jerry Jabber

I have defended Evans so far but was sorely disappointed today. He came up very small today and was virtually non existent. Not sure where the Evans we saw a few years back has gone. But I doubt Fitzy misses him consistently. Perhaps the criticism against him is valid after all. Hope he turns it around. On a day when Stevie was having the dropsies, his veteran presence and catches would have been a great help.

Remember that one game, against the Texans, when Losman threw that bomb and Evans caught it? That was awesome.

Remember that one game, when ah against the Texans, when ah Losman threw that bomb and Evans caught it? That was awesome too.

The thing that irritates me the most, and others have pointed it out, is that Lee Evans does not attack the football. He keeps his hands tucked in up against his chest and waits for the football to hit him between the numbers. Meanwhile the CB going up against him will attack the football and either break it up or take it away. He's just not physical enough and doesn't have the heart that most prototypical #1 WR's possess.

I truly believe all of the losing over the last 6-7 seasons has given Evans a "Let me just show up, do what's expected out of me and make my money" type of attitude. He doesn't seem to really be into the game and all the losing doesn't really seem to bother him. He's so used to losing and coming up short it's like he is almost numb to the emotions a typical player feels after a loss. There is no question that Lee is highly overpaid and I think it's becoming obvious he's not going to be one of our key offensive players moving forward (2-3 year outlook). I believe Chan and Buddy will be looking for a big framed, tall, physical receiver who can go across the middle and move the chains this offseason. Couple that with Stevie, D. Nelson and hope Easley can contribute with his speed and Evans looks expendable to me.

The way I judge a player is I ask myself how would this game be different today if this player weren't in the lineup. Take a look at guys like Kyle Williams and Fitz's performances today. Those 2 went out and played at an extremely high level, without them the game is much different (for the worse). Now, evaluate Lee Evans. I think we do the same if not better if Lee Evans doesn't suit up today. And for those who think Lee is still drawing the double teams go back and watch this game. Polamalu was more often than not over the top on Stevie's side. Lee was singled up a ton in this game, and Fitz often doesn't even look his way and I don't blame him. On our first possession of overtime Fitz threw a great ball to Lee down to the 10 yardline and the guy couldn't make a play. No effort whatsoever to jump, dive, attack the football. Just waited for it to hit his hands and it appeared to be slightly tipped and fell incomplete. That play pretty much epitomized Lee's effort this entire season.......not good enough. How many times as a QB are you going to give a guy a shot to make a play for you on a 50/50 ball before you realize he just doesn't have it in him to make a key play? I think Fitz has already realized it and that's why you see Lee's production going down the toilet, there are guys doing a much better job given the opportunity.

Many times when you're double covered you have to find the soft spot or the cushion in the defense and attack that spot. Lee just doesn't find a way to get open, which is why he can't be considered a true #1 receiver. When Freddy Jackson, Steve Johnson, David Nelson, Donald Jones and Quinton Ganther all go out and outproduce our $10 million dollar man in the passing game, there's no excise you can make. The o-line showed up and played, Fitz came out and played, and Lee came in with another grade D effort. His play with the exception of the Ravens game has been garbage.

The last thing I want to point out is Lee is averageing 3 receptions for 46 yards per game. He's on pace to finish the season with - 49 receptions for 736 yards. Dude is going to make almost $200,000 per catch this season ($9.3 miilion/season). I don't care if he's double covered every single snap of every single football game, when you're making top 5 WR money 80-90 catch seasons should be the norm.

Edited by Estro

Looked to me like he had one that was a game winner and e dropped it at the 10 yard line. I didnt see the replay though. Evans had a lousy game, although he did make that huge fumble recovery to make up for his own. And he still draws the safety to him on most plays, allowing the other WRs to get single coverage.

He didn't drop it, and it wasn't a game winner, it was the opening drive of the second half, yes the Bills were in scoring position but the ball was ripped out of his hands and it was a fumble.

He didn't drop it, and it wasn't a game winner, it was the opening drive of the second half, yes the Bills were in scoring position but the ball was ripped out of his hands and it was a fumble.

I believe that the poster was referring to a long pass that Evans dropped on the first play from scrimmage in OT.