(OT) Anyone Fans Of Last Comic Standing?

R. Rich

I took my wife to the Baltimore Improv last night to see 3 comedians that were on the show. She wanted to go as a birthday gift. I've never watched the show, but I have been to the Improv a few times before and all of the acts I've seen have been good.

Anyway, the 3 guys from the show were all pretty good. The first one was a guy named Jay London. This guy looks like a combination of Alice Cooper and Tiny Tim, but he does some pretty funny stuff. His comedy is along the lines of Steven Wright, which I like. I thought his was the best set of the 3.

The next guy was a crowd favorite, as he got a huge ovation when he was introduced. His name is Alonzo Bodden. They say he won the 3rd season, which was cancelled for that sorry "Father of the Pride" show. Anyway, he was very funny too.

The last guy to perform (I don't know why the Alonzo guy wasn't last) was a guy named Gary Gulman. He was okay, but had some really funny rants (his rant about cookies was hysterical)!

The opening act was a local guy who performed back in April. Those who were at the Offseason Tailgate here may remember him. His name is Erik Meyers and he is a trip!

Overall, a nice evening, though the food was nothing special and overpriced ($7.95 for a plate of 7 'buffalo wings'). I would rate their sets in the same order in which they came on:

1. Jay London

2. Alonzo Bodden

3. Gary Gulman

Those of you who were fans of the show: what do you think?

I took my wife to the Baltimore Improv last night to see 3 comedians that were on the show.  She wanted to go as a birthday gift.  I've never watched the show, but I have been to the Improv a few times before and all of the acts I've seen have been good. 

Anyway, the 3 guys from the show were all pretty good.  The first one was a guy named Jay London.  This guy looks like a combination of Alice Cooper and Tiny Tim, but he does some pretty funny stuff.  His comedy is along the lines of Steven Wright, which I like.  I thought his was the best set of the 3.

The next guy was a crowd favorite, as he got a huge ovation when he was introduced.  His name is Alonzo Bodden.  They say he won the 3rd season, which was cancelled for that sorry "Father of the Pride" show.  Anyway, he was very funny too. 

The last guy to perform (I don't know why the Alonzo guy wasn't last) was a guy named Gary Gulman.  He was okay, but had some really funny rants (his rant about cookies was hysterical)! 

The opening act was a local guy who performed back in April.  Those who were at the Offseason Tailgate here may remember him.  His name is Erik Meyers and he is a trip! 

Overall, a nice evening, though the food was nothing special and overpriced ($7.95 for a plate of 7 'buffalo wings').  I would rate their sets in the same order in which they came on:

1.  Jay London

2.  Alonzo Bodden

3.  Gary Gulman

Those of you who were fans of the show:  what do you think?

154797[/snapback]

Like Jay and his 'thank you' schtict (sp?). Thought Alonzo was hysterical with his 'if you're out with a female friend and she doesn't help you get laid, then she needs to 'take one for the team'. Gary was ok, the only bit he did that had me rolling (probably because I could relate) was how people kept commenting on how tall he was and if their mailman was tall growing up, because his parents were short. "Hey thanks for calling my mother a whore!"

LOVED the show and liked Alonzo and Jay, Gary had his moments... but my favorite is John Heffron.

I would have loved to see them live, hopefully they added some new stuff to their sets, since I saw every show of all three seasons of the show... but I'd still love to hear all the old stuff too.

Glad you got to see them and had a good time...

I saw the same show in Boston, (gary's hometown) he hit a homerun, definitey the best of the three IMO.  He was hilarious, did he do his bit about grapes?  That is my favorite.

154926[/snapback]

Yeah, the grape bit was funny. "The only fruit that hasn't been corrupted by the grapefruit in a fruit salad...", good stuff. Even when grapes 'die', they become raisins.

Like Jay and his 'thank you' schtict (sp?).

154892[/snapback]

I loved that. "I'm quitting after today, so it really doesn't matter...."

Thought Alonzo was hysterical with his 'if you're out with a female friend and she doesn't help you get laid, then she needs to 'take one for the team'.

He didn't do that one, but he had plenty of funny material. He talked about Bush wanting to give illegal aliens cards that would allow them to work menial labor, but have no rights. He said, "Uh, George, that's been done before, except you guys aren't talking about going over in boats and collecting people." Great! I put his performance just a notch below Jay London.

Gary was ok, the only bit he did that had me rolling (probably because I could relate) was how people kept commenting on how tall he was and if their mailman was tall growing up, because his parents were short. "Hey thanks for calling my mother a whore!"

He had some really funny lines, but there was a lot of space in between his funny little rants.

I took my wife to the Baltimore Improv last night to see 3 comedians that were on the show.  She wanted to go as a birthday gift.  I've never watched the show, but I have been to the Improv a few times before and all of the acts I've seen have been good. 

Anyway, the 3 guys from the show were all pretty good.  The first one was a guy named Jay London.  This guy looks like a combination of Alice Cooper and Tiny Tim, but he does some pretty funny stuff.  His comedy is along the lines of Steven Wright, which I like.  I thought his was the best set of the 3.

The next guy was a crowd favorite, as he got a huge ovation when he was introduced.  His name is Alonzo Bodden.  They say he won the 3rd season, which was cancelled for that sorry "Father of the Pride" show.  Anyway, he was very funny too. 

The last guy to perform (I don't know why the Alonzo guy wasn't last) was a guy named Gary Gulman.  He was okay, but had some really funny rants (his rant about cookies was hysterical)! 

The opening act was a local guy who performed back in April.  Those who were at the Offseason Tailgate here may remember him.  His name is Erik Meyers and he is a trip! 

Overall, a nice evening, though the food was nothing special and overpriced ($7.95 for a plate of 7 'buffalo wings').  I would rate their sets in the same order in which they came on:

1.  Jay London

2.  Alonzo Bodden

3.  Gary Gulman

Those of you who were fans of the show:  what do you think?

154797[/snapback]

I just started watching LCS this year. I really liked Jay London. Weird looking but that is part of his "show." I can't say I can put a face with the other two you mentioned.

I thought Alonzo was the best & I think the only reason that he lost the 2nd season was because Heffron had the set of his life & was also a newlywed & got the sentimental votes because they kept showing his wife. I watched the "3rd season" finale on Comedy Central Alonzo got the big prize -$250,000. I liked Alonzo because he did the most sports related stuff. Best one : I was watching Olympic Gymnastics & didn't realize that I was a pedophile until...

London is a trip. Some of his better lines included : I'm the third from the left on the evolutionary chart. I worked at Bed, Bath & Beyond, I was Beyond. It's almost over, You'll never see me again, Thank You.

I thought Gulman was very average.

My favorite joke was Dave Mordall's about his father confusing the remote for the tv with his cell phone that results in his father hitting redial when he changes the channel. I don't remember exactly how he told it, but the punchline is that every time his father goes to change the channel, he gets a phone call.

The best guy on either season of the show was Jim Norton. He would have walked away with season 2 with ease had he not been "too successful" to remain. He had a scheduling conflict that kept him from living in the house with the other finalists.

I really liked Jay London. What was even more amazing about the guy is how he lives.

AB is nothing special. Funny, but I've seen alot of guys do basically the same act.

Gulman is a hack. If he weren't a pretty boy he'd never have made the finals.

John Heffron is wickedly funny.

Good story about that. My friend and former fraternity brother, Rob Cantrell was on the first season. We traveled around Thailand and he lived in my place for 6 months when he got back, just before he went to LA to be a comic. We'd sit around and he'd try out jokes he made up on me. He's a pretty whacked guy with an odd sense of humor.

He was on the radio on a morning show here today. He is at a comedy club here all weekend. I recommend seeing him if you get a chance. He can be hilarious. He toured with Jay Mohr after the 1st season of Last Comic and does pretty big shows that involve acts like Dave Chapelle and Tenacious D.