Phillips / Childress Fired... Singletary on Last Legs

cage

That said, I think it's an interesting state of the sport when a coach takes his team to within one game of the Super Bowl, only to be fired half way through the following season.

It's not simply a "sports" issue. It's far broader sign of the times. He lost his team, a team of very talented players. A few are definitely "aging" players, but Peterson, Rice, etc., aren't.

Childress thought he could run his team like Landry, etc., and has found out differently. He didn't need to be the players friend, but he did need to earn their respect, and he failed. That the players didn't like him, coupled with having no respect for him led to their implosion (an ineffective Favre also contributed heavily).

The internal squabbles within the Vikings have been brewing for years and all it took was some real adversity to ignite disaster.

Its also Gailey's first year. Baring player revolution you always give a guy 2 seasons before you fire him. Gailey has progressed this team because the offense can score (Steve Johnson and Fitz's development are key plus improved play from the O-line helps) and they are instilling a new defensive scheme (With not much success but they are still switching schemes). So yeah the record isn't pretty but if you watch the team its a lot better then it seems.

All in all Gailey needs to make this team play well down the stretch and have a good draft and he will set this team up for success next season.

I absolutely agree that Chan should be given three total years to do what he can.

I think the first half of the season was mostly disappointing.

The second half (plus a couple games) has looked promising.

AMEN!!

Maybe when they decide not to make Leslie Frazier their H-C next year we can hire him as our D-Co, ala Perry Fewell.

Although I doubt he will take a D-Co coach position on a team he interviewed for HC and if he gets them to stop quiting I'm sure he'll be a hot commodity next year, But a boy can dream.

:thumbsup:

What are you talking about?

We don't have a bona fide #1 QB

We don't have a bona fide #1 WR

We don't have a bona fide #1 TE

Maybin is a total bust

Kelsay doesn't earn his keep

The OL is full of smoke and mirrors

We lost out on the #1 pick in the draft

Ralph's cheap

Nix is clueless

And, the smileys don't work right. mad.gif

lol

:beer:

PS - note the craptacular post directly below.

:worthy:

Jauron got more wins out of those scraps.

Chan has gotten more effort and emotion from those scraps.

Everyone seems very happy with Chan, even though we are doing worse. A lot of us expected to improve on our last couple seasons, not get worse.

BUT, that being said... We seem to be turning around. So maybe its a "we'll get worse before we get better" thing. Either way, I agree, he needs time... but the excuse of having the players that Jauron had, isn't really one that makes sense to me.

The NFL has been/will be a "What have you done for me lately" business, and recent trends. This is one of those nitpicking inside the #'s instances, when comparing what Gailey is doing, to what Jauron did.

From week 7 of the 2008 season-week 8 when he was fired The Buffalo Bills under Jauron went 6-13. Not exactly worthy of a guy who after a 5-1 start received a 3 year contract extension. This is one of those times where you'd have to look inside the #'s at how the overall team is playing. There is little doubt we're much better off offensively under Chan Gailey than we ever were or had the potential to be with Jauron. Defensively a wash. We were horrible under Jauron (say what you want about turnovers we werent any closer to being a good d unit than either). At best I'd chalk this debate up to one that's yet to be decided until Gailey has had more than 10 games as coach.

Are you suggesting the media experts were wrong? Blasphemy!

PTR

Promo please help correct this confusion ... the media experts are always right ... Kiper and crew at draft time ... look at the mighty achievements of Claussen, who the Bills should have picked with our #1.

The media can never be wrong ... and who in their right minds would want a hick loser like Chan Gailey ... no no no ... let's bow down to the media gods and start calling in our lists to the GR guys who always have it so right!

Everything on this team is still a mystery except that we know they can score points! The defense is bad regardless of the wins. The ownership is scary for all of us. The crazy relationship of Modrak, his scouts, Buddy, his scouts, Chan and Ralph preparing for a draft is beyond rationality.

When you have McCargo, Maybin & Merriman all sitting in the stands, not close to ever playing, getting paid as #1 picks and on the active roster it makes for a great, great novel.

Yeah how about we throw Marvin lewis in that bunch of names. How does his team suck so bad?

And John Fox in Carolina.

I think Del Rio is making his job safer by winning close games and the inability of Indy and the Titans to separate themselves.

And John Fox in Carolina.

I think Del Rio is making his job safer by winning close games and the inability of Indy and the Titans to separate themselves.

John Fox is probably good til the end of the season, I'm also going out on a bit of a limb and say McDaniels in Denver. I thought I saw a stat on TV last night that says the Broncos have lost 15 of their last 20 games

Who would have thought that after 10 weeks... Bills fans would be a more optimistic bunch than fans of the Cowboys, Vikings and 49ers, all forecast as playoff teams... WOW!

This Cowboys fan remains optimistic for her team AND her "associate" team the Bills.

The reason is I now see progress being made on the field for both teams. My team now has more "heart" to match their talent and the Bills talent is catching up with their "heart".