Am I getting hosed?

PromoTheRobot

I'm building a transmitter shack for a new radio station I'm building. So far everything has cost 3x more than I estimated. I just scheduled an electrician to install the meter socket, fuse box, grounding rods, outlets, etc. The guy also has to get the permits from the town. His bill is $2,200. So I'm asking those who have experience in such things is this a fair price or is the guy soaking me?

Just so you know this will be a 24sq ft shed with three breakers, 5 outlets and one overhead light socket. 120v service.

PTR

Why can't you do it yourself? The shed already has service... And on top of it, you are a radio operator... So you should have the aptitude. Sounds like a lot, but I guess their time is money.

Correction: Does the shed already have service... Or do you have to bring service into it?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Why can't you do it yourself? The shed already has service... And on top of it, you are a radio operator... So you should have the aptitude. Sounds like a lot, but I guess their time is money.

Correction: Does the shed already have service... Or do you have to bring service into it?

There is power nearby but the shed location has nothing. I just finished framing the shed. I need to have a meter socket in place before the power company drops in service, plus Comcast will drop in a cable for internet. The town this is in requires a licensed electrician to do all work. They consider it a "commercial" building even though this will be a non-commercial FM station. They have to get a permit and have the work inspected by the town.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

There is power nearby but the shed location has nothing. I just finished framing the shed. I need to have a meter socket in place before the power company drops in service, plus Comcast will drop in a cable for internet. The town this is in requires a licensed electrician to do all work. They consider it a "commercial" building even though this will be a non-commercial FM station. They have to get a permit and have the work inspected by the town.

PTR

That is what I was thinking... Not too unreasonable the price then. How far is the shed away? Will they dig or is it overhead service?

When you say "all the work"... Does that mean everything up to the outlets or just to the meter/panel? You can probably save a bunch if you do everything (if legal) on your end after the panel. And of course, I would pipe (conduit) out... Which you may have to seeing that it is "commercial." :D I noticed that about some states... When I was putting in my water softener, the instructions said that in MA it had to be done by a licensed plumber... I bet the trades love these ordinances!

That is what I was thinking... Not too unreasonable the price then. How far is the shed away? Will they dig or is it overhead service?

When you say "all the work"... Does that mean everything up to the outlets or just to the meter/panel? You can probably save a bunch if you do everything (if legal) on your end after the panel. And of course, I would pipe (conduit) out... Which you may have to seeing that it is "commercial." :D I noticed that about some states... When I was putting in my water softener, the instructions said that in MA it had to be done by a licensed plumber... I bet the trades love these ordinances!

The outlets and stuff are nothing. It's a 24 sq ft shed. Frankly I could do it all but I'm not state licensed. The guy is doing all the wiring and prep to receive the power from the utility. I will call for some quotes but this electrician is a buddy of the guy who built the shed, who is a buddy of mine. He swore his electrician friend would do right by us since we are a non-profit group. That number just floored me. We got turned down for a foundation grant so that's $15K I won't have.

PTR

The outlets and stuff are nothing. It's a 24 sq ft shed. Frankly I could do it all but I'm not state licensed. The guy is doing all the wiring and prep to receive the power from the utility. I will call for some quotes but this electrician is a buddy of the guy who built the shed, who is a buddy of mine. He swore his electrician friend would do right by us since we are a non-profit group. That number just floored me. We got turned down for a foundation grant so that's $15K I won't have.

PTR

Are you getting that size right? 24 sq ft is a 5X5 ft shed. I think he might be hitting you for 3- 4 hundred a hour labor. Is he doing this as a side job or on the clock for a company he works for?

Personally with your low power needs and given that it's a stand alone "building" with no human residency concerns I would use the $2,200 and buy a generator and wire it myself.

I'm building a transmitter shack for a new radio station I'm building. So far everything has cost 3x more than I estimated. I just scheduled an electrician to install the meter socket, fuse box, grounding rods, outlets, etc. The guy also has to get the permits from the town. His bill is $2,200. So I'm asking those who have experience in such things is this a fair price or is the guy soaking me?

Just so you know this will be a 24sq ft shed with three breakers, 5 outlets and one overhead light socket. 120v service.

PTR

I priced a heavy-up for my house a couple years ago - socket, fuse box, rewiring one room, two outdoor outlets. Sounds like it's roughly the same amount of work as what you're having done...and with permits, the quotes all ran in the $3k range.

Obviously, the work you're having done doesn't exactly compare to mine...but on a rough order-of-magintude basis, it seems not unreasonable to me. He might be making a healthy profit, but I don't think you're getting completely soaked.

Hope it works out for you PTR.

Just think if Tesla had his way (ultimate way: wireless not his A/C)... This would have never been a problem... You would have been moving your rig right in there and firing it up!! ;) ;)

Right. And if Carp could fly, they'd have a problem in Reno. :lol:

PTR - I think materials would be about 1/3 - 1/2 the cost of the final invoice. Find out what the materials cost. Licensed electricians get around $20 - 30 an hour depending on location. $2,200 doesn't sound exorbitant to me. But then again, I'm not footing the bill.

Let us know when you're up and running. I'm assuming there will be extensive Bills coverage on your station.