Here's to hoping that fans no longer root for the team to lose

I think the fixation on Andrew Luck is weird and unhealthy.

Too many "can't miss" #1 choice are busts, and too many Hall of Fame choices come from later in the first round, to say nothing of later rounds. Yes, Elway was a #1 draft choice. But Dan Marino and Jim Kelly were later in that first round. Tony Eason was also in the first round. It's a crap shoot.

Would you rather have Eli Manning, or Philip Rivers or Ben Rothliesberger from that year's draft? Manning was the top pick that everybody sought, but I'd take Rivers over either of the others, and he only climbed the draft boards after the Senior Bowl. J.P. Losman was also in that same first round. Like I said, it's a crap shoot.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check out this link of Pro Football Hall of Famers by Draft Round. The first think that's clear on this page is that yes, how early (round) you're chosen definitely correlates with likelihood getting into the NFL HoF.

Looking at the draft classes 1950 and later, there were 19 players chosen 10-19 that were inducted into the Hall of Fame. At the same time, there were 47 inductees who were drafted in the top 10. Heck, 10 of them were chosen first overall. Another tidbit, highlighting that Brady is an anomoly: there are zero players drafted after the third round since 1976 who are in the Hall of Fame.

I don't want the Bills to lose. But, to say draft position doesn't matter in just not factually correct. At the same time, I agree there are more important things than draft position. I want to see the Bills playing respectably each week, and to be improving. If they played well and lost to teams playing lights-out, or due to bad luck, and in the process helped our draft position, that would be fine.

Oh I guess you got me, high draft picks win popularity contests more often.

But wait look further:

#1 Picks - 11

#2 Picks - 8

#3 Picks - 9

#4 Picks - 9

#5 Picks - 6

#6 Picks - 10

#7 PIcks - 1

#8 Picks - 4

#9 Picks - 3

#10 Picks - 2

#11 Picks - 5

Wow the Bills should really do every thing in their power to go 1-15, because there is 1 more hall of famer chosen #1 overall than #6 overall.

Since its very unlikely the bills draft lower than 6 this season, you better do all your rooting against the Bills to ensure the Highest draft pick, because wait, why?

I'll append my statement:

A Top 10 player's translation to the NFL has more to do with coaching, organizational opportunity, and personal individual determination than whether they were picked #6 or #2.

rooting for your team to win and hurting its draft position when its already out of the playoffs is idiotic

Wow that's a real football fan idk about you but I wanna see my bills win every game they can playoffs or not and it's not idiotic it just means I grew up liking and playing football. Think about the 53 guys on the roster you'd rather them all lose this season for a couple draft slots that's idiotic and is disruptive of the integrity of the game

Wow that's a real football fan idk about you but I wanna see my bills win every game they can playoffs or not and it's not idiotic it just means I grew up liking and playing football. Think about the 53 guys on the roster you'd rather them all lose this season for a couple draft slots that's idiotic and is disruptive of the integrity of the game

You're right. Who needs a franchise quarterback anyway? Certainly not a poor team in a poor market who can't compete for free agents like us. No sense milking the system to our benefit. Go mediocrity!

Edited by benderbender

I root for whats best for this team. I think we need a star player and what better way to get one by getting the first pick in the draft.

That's nice and everything, but historically there's been little difference in success among the top 5 picks in the draft.

I would say if the Bills make a run, the team will be more attractive to FAs, and we need those as well.

rooting for your team to win and hurting its draft position when its already out of the playoffs is idiotic

then i must be a big ass idiot!!!!! and proud of it!

I was talking with coworkers about this topic yesterday and I explained my feelings as this. From the time I wake up on Sunday until the game is over I am convinced the bills will win and root for that to happen. If they lose the sting is not there as I remember it just helps their draft position and I feel that way all week until I wake up Sunday morning.

I never ever root in game for them to lose I just don't mind as much this year when they do when its all said and done. In previous years back to back ot losses would have crushed me (the kc one still did) but not so much this year.

I don't believe chan and buddy are tanking on purpose but I do believe they are evaluating talent this year and not worrying about wins and losses. Seeing who has passion, desire, work ethic, and talent to go forward on this team in order to build a long term winner!

nice post. im pretty sure most of the fans that want a win EVERY WEEK, with the season being where it is, are ok with a loss. or at least understand that the loss comes with a side benefit in the long run.

Giving up on games when you are out of the playoffs is actually disrespectful to the rest of the league. For instance, we played our butts off against the Ravens. Would it be right to them if we went just played like we didn't give a crap against the Steelers? Say what you want about "who cares about the Ravens" but it really would be a slap in the face to them. It's one thing when it's the last game or two of the year but almost an entire half of the season?

Giving up on games when you are out of the playoffs is actually disrespectful to the rest of the league. For instance, we played our butts off against the Ravens. Would it be right to them if we went just played like we didn't give a crap against the Steelers? Say what you want about "who cares about the Ravens" but it really would be a slap in the face to them. It's one thing when it's the last game or two of the year but almost an entire half of the season?

This is a good point. I am all for people speculating in the second half of the last game of the season, but folks on this site have been preaching draft position losses since about week 2. That just ain't right.

you realize that what we fans do has absolutely no effect on the outcome, right?

play tough. try hard to win. make some great plays. fight right up until the end. almost win. and then dont

keep luck dreams alive

meh ainst gonna happen. but my hoping for it changes the outcome of nooothiiiing

You're right. Who needs a franchise quarterback anyway? Certainly not a poor team in a poor market who can't compete for free agents like us. No sense milking the system to our benefit. Go mediocrity!

Where do you think being competitive for free agents comes from idk maybe winning games, especially the vets still in the league. Where you gonna go a team with promise who finishes strong or a 1-15 team that is at ground zero. playing to lose is a cheer for less than mediocrity. But it's worked wonderful for Detroit

No, you're right.

Damn...if only we drafted Clausen last April, we'd have our ' franchise QB ' and wouldn't have to tell our guys how much better off they'll be if only they'd lose the rest of their games.

Wake up and be somebody, dude. You win now. You play your ass off and try to win every game. You deal with the draft in April.

No, you're right.

Damn...if only we drafted Clausen last April, we'd have our ' franchise QB ' and wouldn't have to tell our guys how much better off they'll be if only they'd lose the rest of their games.

Wake up and be somebody, dude. You win now. You play your ass off and try to win every game. You deal with the draft in April.

Now THAT is the spirit that would make Fr. Sturm proud! :thumbsup:

Id like to see my team get into the playoffs and win it all. When you're already out like Bills effectively have been for several weeks now, "winning" games is hurting the draft position, hurting the teams prospects for getting into the playoffs after this season and winning it all. Hence "winning" now is actually losing. It's the way the system setup.