2011 - Should History Repeat Itself ??

T master

The last time the Bills were in the position to get the first pick over all was the last time the team went 2 & 14 in 84 when in 85 they picked Bruce Smith. Then the following year they went 2 & 14 again . The next year 86 was when the then coach Hank Bullough was fired & the Bills hired Kansas Cities old coach Marv Levy.

Seeing as we have Kansas Cities old OC , then we also have the possibility of having the first pick over all . Should history repeat itself yet again. Even though Jim Kelly was picked before those seasons and decided to go to the USFL so we already had our QB .

#1) should we spend our first pick on the best defensive stud in the draft like we did with Bruce ?

#2) Should we wait to get our stud QB till a later round,or in a trade (Kolb, Ortin , Thigpen, Troy Smith) or a later draft seeing as we have a decent QB to hold down the fort & until Luck becomes available and shoot our wad moving up to get him ??

I guess i'm just saying there are an awful lot of similarities from our past to the present & was just wondering what you all think .

Edited by T master

I don't think of all these similarities as some kind of consequence I do like the thought of picking the rest of the teams needs before QB. Give Fitz a chance to run the show for a full season. Give him a shot at this after a full offseason as the starter throughout the preseason and camps. And I like the thought that if he doesn't turn out to be the face if the franchise then blow our loads to trade up to get Luck, if he is for sure everything we want.

First how can you say that Kolb, Orton, and Troy Smith are the stud qb's we've been looking for. Kolb isn't starting, the Broncos used a first round pick on a project qb even though they had Orton and Troy Smith, really? The guy has won two games and you suddenly think he is a "stud" quarterback. And no the team can't wait until a later round to get their franchise qb, they've tried that and it hasn't worked out. If Andrew Luck is there you can't pass on him, but if he stays in school then you can draft your defensive stud. I'm not trying to shoot down your comparison to the Bills of the 80's, but they can't possibly pass on the the opportunity to get franchise quarterback like Luck if he's there.

yes, clearly every event that happened 26 years ago will repeat itself again.

why do people need to make constant references to teams in the past to draw comparisons from events decades ago?

A better scenario would be to compare us to the Dolphins a few years ago and how they handled the situation and the results the following season. thats a better comparison

It depends on who declares (Luck) and how Fitz plays during the course of the next 7 games. If there is a LT or Pass Rusher that is a top notch can't miss type player and the top QB's fail to declare then I think you have to decide that the best thing to do is to take the top defender (DE or OLB) or a top tier LT. I say the priority is QB, LT, and Defense. I think we can beef up the D with a pair of 2nd round picks (Take the Lynch pick and the 3rd and trade up)and mid level free agent aquisitions.

why do people need to make constant references to teams in the past to draw comparisons from events decades ago?

A better scenario would be to compare us to the Dolphins a few years ago and how they handled the situation and the results the following season. thats a better comparison

It has happened in the past it will happen again.

So say we all.

atlanta falcons scenario please...2008 draft. matt ryan and curtis lofton in first two rounds...if we can get a franchise qb and lb with first two picks we will be a very good team next year and for years to come

For all you num nuts that refuted anything in this post one of the really early mock drafts has the Bills taking Marcelus Darius the Alabama Defensive stud with the second pick !!

It's on SBNation and says that paired with Meatball Williams that would significantly (no pun intended) beef up our D line (i kill me)

So it may happen again only time will tell . Seeing as Defense wins games i think it's more possible than not !!

As some more intelligent reply's had said they would like to give Fitz the benefit of a full off season and see what he can do , of which i agree we don't need to get stupid and pull another Losman move or worse !!

First how can you say that Kolb, Orton, and Troy Smith are the stud qb's we've been looking for. Kolb isn't starting, the Broncos used a first round pick on a project qb even though they had Orton and Troy Smith, really? The guy has won two games and you suddenly think he is a "stud" quarterback. And no the team can't wait until a later round to get their franchise qb, they've tried that and it hasn't worked out. If Andrew Luck is there you can't pass on him, but if he stays in school then you can draft your defensive stud. I'm not trying to shoot down your comparison to the Bills of the 80's, but they can't possibly pass on the the opportunity to get franchise quarterback like Luck if he's there.

First off what are the first two QB's records and stats i think you'll find they are pretty dang good & for the most part there winners, & if Kolb isn't in some respects a possible stud QB i don't know who is . Every time the guy can get prepared he's money !!

And by any chance did you see what Orton did last week the guy just wins , sure he ain't no Dan Marino but i'll take him any day ! Too if you recall at one point in his college career he was a Heisman candidate !!

O.K. the Troy Smith thing i threw in because i saw the replay of the game and the guy throws a really nice ball besides being a Heisman winner (which means absolutely nothing) but i guess you can't see that through the glasses you have on .

As far as waiting on a franchise QB where was Brady taken ??? I was just saying rather than being stupid & pulling off another typical B Bills pick use or head & learn from what history has taught us .

Then if you throw in that defense wins games it not all that bad of an idea !!

There's just so much fail in this thread and yet, here I am.

Enlighten us with your wisdom old wise one !! We all wait with bated breath on the knowledge that leaks from your cranium :worthy: !!

Edited by T master

First off what are the first two QB's records and stats i think you'll find they are pretty dang good & for the most part there winners, & if Kolb isn't in some respects a possible stud QB i don't know who is . Every time the guy can get prepared he's money !!

Look a little deeper into Kolb, he is 3-3 as a starter, and lit up the worst defenses in the NFL in 2009. Against average competition he looks human. Kind of like Rob Johnson.

As far as waiting on a franchise QB where was Brady taken ??? I was just saying rather than being stupid & pulling off another typical B Bills pick use or head & learn from what history has taught us .

In the entire history of the Buffalo Bills, they have taken 2 QBs in the first round.

Jim Kelly #14

and

JP LOSSman #22

So another typical B Bills pick would be coming up with reasons NOT to take a QB, and then spending a decade as a basement dweller.

Besides the 60s and 90s, the Bills have been a joke of a franchise, maybe not taking a chance on the most important individual in a team game might have something to do with it.

I agree that Troy Smith is a special player, I'm glad he is finally getting a chance to prove it.

Now that Troy Smith has been named the starter in San Francisco I don't expect him to lose that role for a few years, if the 9ers are smart. (which they aren't)