Offensive and Defensive Rankings

BillsVet

For all the fan induced hysteria surrounging the hiring of Chan Gailey, Buffalo has not significantly improved on offense. It's worth noting that the 2009 Bills finished 28th in total points with 258, or 16.1 per game. In 2010, Buffalo ranks 29th with 164 points or 18.2 per game. It's an improvement, but not anything on par with what many felt would happen given an offensive minded HC. Or one with a 9th overall pick at RB who would add excitement with big plays to a bad team.

On defense, the results have been obviously poor as Buffalo has yielded 245 points through 9 games, or 27.2 per to rank 27th. Last season, they surrendered 325 points or 20.3 per game and ranked 19th. Someone will point out they're rebuilding and switched schemes, but it seems there's a built-in excuse every season about why the Bills aren't a playoff team.

N.B.: Points scored is not the only metric to measure success or failure, although one could argue points scored and points allowed are the most important. It's more symbolism than substance that offensively the team has succeeded. Defensively, well, they've regressed mightily. And, they're the only club ranked in the bottom 6 in offense and defense points scored/allowed rankings. Rebuilding ad infinitum.

For all the fan induced hysteria surrounging the hiring of Chan Gailey, Buffalo has not significantly improved on offense. It's worth noting that the 2009 Bills finished 28th in total points with 258, or 16.1 per game. In 2010, Buffalo ranks 29th with 164 points or 18.2 per game. It's an improvement, but not anything on par with what many felt would happen given an offensive minded HC. Or one with a 9th overall pick at RB who would add excitement with big plays to a bad team.

On defense, the results have been obviously poor as Buffalo has yielded 245 points through 9 games, or 27.2 per to rank 27th. Last season, they surrendered 325 points or 20.3 per game and ranked 19th. Someone will point out they're rebuilding and switched schemes, but it seems there's a built-in excuse every season about why the Bills aren't a playoff team.

N.B.: Points scored is not the only metric to measure success or failure, although one could argue points scored and points allowed are the most important. It's more symbolism than substance that offensively the team has succeeded. Defensively, well, they've regressed mightily. And, they're the only club ranked in the bottom 6 in offense and defense points scored/allowed rankings. Rebuilding ad infinitum.

Thanks for that update.

Now go away.

I like how everyone is attacking the OP for stating the facts.

Fact is, we aren't as good as we were last year.

---

Now, where I separate from the OP a bit is... when you install all new schemes on both sides of the ball, on a bad team, the team is likely to get a little worse before getting better.

I'm ok with Chan having 3 years to turn things around. But in reality, we need personnel, not coaching changes.

Offense is scoring just a little bit more. We have played some very good defenses too.

What about total yards gained and time of possession?

We seem to be moving the ball better and throwing down field much more. Getting more first downs and less 3 and outs. Any comments on those factors? Also, isn't our red zone offense much improved?

Point matter more, though... unfortunately for us.

Matter ? Yes

Reflect the improvement or lack thereof with our offense? Not so much

Honestly, It is so blatantly clear to anyone with even the most modest eye for the game of football that our offense is light years ahead of where it has been since the good Bledsoe year.

The biggest difference that I see is that our WRs are much more involved than they have been in recent seasons. Our line is improving, we have two solid (although one is WAY underutilized) RBs, and a decent fullback. Once we get the TE spot settled with someone consistent and productive, I really like the potential this offense has to offer.

To me, the improvement in 3rd down conversions is very significant. Once we learn to finish drives, our overall scoring will improve accordingly.

Matter ? Yes

Reflect the improvement or lack thereof with our offense? Not so much

Honestly, It is so blatantly clear to anyone with even the most modest eye for the game of football that our offense is light years ahead of where it has been since the good Bledsoe year.

I very much agree that the offense looks better. And is a bit more reliable at picking up yards/downs.

The problem, though, in the end... if they aren't scoring points (and the defense isn't stopping the other team from scoring) we lose games.

I'd take a bad offense and a win over a good offense and a loss, in that sense.

As of Sunday, the Bills were 2nd in the league in TD percentage in the redzone.

I heard that too, the only problem with that stat was that we also had (by far) the fewest red zone opportunities of any team.

The biggest difference that I see is that our WRs are much more involved than they have been in recent seasons. Our line is improving, we have two solid (although one is WAY underutilized) RBs, and a decent fullback. Once we get the TE spot settled with someone consistent and productive, I really like the potential this offense has to offer.

To me, the improvement in 3rd down conversions is very significant. Once we learn to finish drives, our overall scoring will improve accordingly.

Indeed... TE is a spot we sorely need.

It's too bad Nelson hasn't panned out.

Indeed... TE is a spot we sorely need.

It's too bad Nelson hasn't panned out.

I agree, man...I thought Nelson would have a big year. I figured he'd be more like Shannon Sharpe than he would Bobby Collins, but oh well...

I agree, man...I thought Nelson would have a big year. I figured he'd be more like Shannon Sharpe than he would Bobby Collins, but oh well...

BUT

On the other hand, I also never thought that Stevie, Roscoe and the other Nelson would work... and they have been nice surprises this year. :)

BUT

On the other hand, I also never thought that Stevie, Roscoe and the other Nelson would work... and they have been nice surprises this year. :)

True, man...to me, Stevie is easily the biggest bright spot of the season. This guy could be a difference maker on this team for the next ten years. And what I like best is that we don't have to worry about him losing a step later in his career cuase he's already slow lol. He runs good routes and can create separation, and I love having a guy like that on the team. To take it a step further, if by some stroke of luck Easley becomes a legit deep threat, holy crap, we'll be set at wideout for years to come, even if we trade Lee. I'm probably wrong, cause I usually am, but I just have a feeling about Easley. I think the kid will be a player.

I really like our skill positions.