What has happened to Ed Wang?

I know the O-line has improved as of late but C. Howard goes down and Ed Wang hasn't even been active for these games. What is going on? Wrotto gets picked-up off waivers and he activated before a player the staff was high on coming out of college. I don't get it, was he over valued by the scouting staff?

Wang never played guard at Virginia Tech, so he's learning a new position. Actually, his first couple of years at Tech he was a tight end. He had/has a lot of trouble with speed rushers off the edge, so hopefully guard is a better position for him.

Well, Wrotto's a 4-year veteran while Wang's a rookie still healing from an injured thumb and potentially being moved to OG.

This is a young team and a young O-line - I'd give Ed more time before panicking too much. JMO.

I am pretty sure panic isn't the proper term for my question but im just wondering why he seems to be so distant in the equation, plus the position move...Hell if his thumb was that bad why not just put him on IR, like we've done with the other draft picks M. Easley& D. Batten. Similarly why hasn't A. Carrington been able to get activated on a def so void of playmakers or run stuffers, a supposed strength of his.

To my original question have the scouting dept over valued these players or were they just reaches/ developemental players that draft prognasticators predicted?

To my original question have the scouting dept over valued these players or were they just reaches/ developemental players that draft prognasticators predicted?

Wasn't he a 5th round pick? I don't think there are any 'reaches' in round 5; everyone is a crap shoot/project at that point in the draft and very few contribute as rookies. Especially if injured.

Hell, I'd be happy if the Bills managed to have a first round pick contribute one of these years.

I am pretty sure panic isn't the proper term for my question but im just wondering why he seems to be so distant in the equation, plus the position move...Hell if his thumb was that bad why not just put him on IR, like we've done with the other draft picks M. Easley& D. Batten. Similarly why hasn't A. Carrington been able to get activated on a def so void of playmakers or run stuffers, a supposed strength of his.

Im betting that it has more to do with the fact that he came up as a LEFT tackle. There's a physical difference between playing left and right. Usually you see your finesse oriented, more athletic tackles playing left, and your mashers playing right. From the tapes ive seen of him Ed is more the former than the latter. I'd be surprized to see him playing guard in a game.

I hope someone comes out of this 2010 draft and shines. It's starting to look bad. Scary bad. Not one impact player in the bunch...

I would say of the 2010 class, Arthur Moats is contributing more than any of them, including Spiller. That's not a statement of talent, but it seems Gailey and their staff is reluctant, as was DJ, to use younger guys. And if they don't get experience, how will they improve?

I know the O-line has improved as of late but C. Howard goes down and Ed Wang hasn't even been active for these games. What is going on? Wrotto gets picked-up off waivers and he activated before a player the staff was high on coming out of college. I don't get it, was he over valued by the scouting staff?

No... couldn't be :rolleyes:

Maybe he was over valued by the scouting staff?

- I will never get why year after year so many fans think we had some great draft. We are routinely taking bad players and fans convince themselves they are good. If history teaches us anythign its be very very skeptical of who the Bills draft, they have dropped the ball for over ten years!

- And that "they need time to improve" argue ment is all hogwash. If Carrington cannot make the active roster on a team with a DL THIS EPICALLY BAD, he never will be a contributer. He cant even beat out McCargo for 2nd to last on the depth chart. I have no hope for him. "but, but, but, he is young! He needs to play! Wah!" Yea well he is young but he sucks. He sucks so bad he doesnt deserve playing time, the the decision the coaches are making.

Edited by Thoner7

I would say of the 2010 class, Arthur Moats is contributing more than any of them, including Spiller. That's not a statement of talent, but it seems Gailey and their staff is reluctant, as was DJ, to use younger guys. And if they don't get experience, how will they improve?

Moats, a low draft pick, and David Nelson and Coleman, both free agent draftees, are contributing more than the higher drafted picks. I'm confident that Spillar is going to be a good player for us in the not too distant future. However, Troup is playing a little and Carrington doesn't even see the field.

The owner and Nix have made it crystal clear that the Bills are going to primarily build through the draft. The problem is that the Bills are one of the worst drafting teams. In addition, their scouting department hasn't materially changed. Nix is certainly more involved with the selections of the pick. But the same ineffective scouting staff is providing him with the evaluations of the prospects. How do you square that circle?

Hitting on lowly drafted players and free agent rookies is one way of accelerating the rebuilding process. Not getting a return on your more highly drafted players is a way to regress. This franchise is stuck near the bottom because they are not very proficient in evaluating prospects. It seems that the same song is being sung over and over.

The best value pick in this past draft is David Nelson. As a free agent rookie he is immensely better than James Hardy, a former second round selection. As far as I know he is out of football. Those numerous wasted high picks have sunk this franchise deep into the muck of mediocrity. How does Tom Modrak still have a job?

Edited by JohnC

Is it possible that all these Rooks sitting (actually) has to do with a (Chan's) plan? If so, this could simply be part of the disipline of sticking to the plan.

We are too used to the bumbling reactionary moves of DJ.

Contrary to my verbage, I am puzzled by the lack of use of Carrington, since our D is sooooo F'ing pathetic (squared x 5 to the eternal abyss).

Is it possible that all these Rooks sitting (actually) has to do with a (Chan's) plan? If so, this could simply be part of the disipline of sticking to the plan.

We are too used to the bumbling reactionary moves of DJ.

I don't see a plan almost a year into the Nix-Gailey pairing. The team went into the season wanting to run the ball with 3 quality backs, and has all but abandoned the run game to the tune of throwing it 60% of the time. On defense, they wanted to implement a 34 and have moved from that to other fronts because they can't stop anyone. Their prized 9th overall pick is getting less than 8 touches from the LOS each game, although if you spend a first on a RB, that guy better be able to play immediately. RB is one of the only positions where instinct and physical ability matter more than knowing the scheme. But some genius will come along and say he's not on the field because his blocking isn't good enough. Then why'd they take him?

They needed immediate impact rookies in rounds 1-3. What they got isn't doing that yet when other teams are getting production from their rookies. It seems like DJ all over again in one respect: another old school HC doesn't trust his rookies enough to play them so they get valuable game experience. Maybe there was a reason Gailey and Nix weren't on anyone's radar to fulfill the roles they were hired for in Buffalo?