Bills/Toronto headed for a season split!?

If Roger's vice chairman Phil Lind gets his way, we'll split our regular season schedule! Perfect timing with this quote considering we are playing this weekend in Toronto and we're still not happy about it after 3 years!

http://www.salon.com/wires/sports/11/05/D9JA48Q00_fbn_bills_in_toronto/

Is this Ralph's big plan for saving our franchise...split time between two cities as Green Bay did before they made the permanent leap to Lambeau?

I would have a hard time staying a loyal fan if I had to share my team with another city.

Thoughts?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know how they keep tricking themselves into thinking that its a good idea having a team there. The games that are there either barely sell out or dont sell out, and the crowds at the games are completely lifeless, yet they still insist on continuing it, even wanting more than half of the home games there!

so ridiculous. Unless of course the plan is to have Rogers buy the team after ralph, move the team to toronto, and share a couple games a year with us. Which is even more stupid IMO

I dont know how they keep tricking themselves into thinking that its a good idea having a team there. The games that are there either barely sell out or dont sell out, and the crowds at the games are completely lifeless, yet they still insist on continuing it, even wanting more than half of the home games there!

so ridiculous. Unless of course the plan is to have Rogers buy the team after ralph, move the team to toronto, and share a couple games a year with us. Which is even more stupid IMO

You have to think long term here. You have L.A. sniffing for a team. Rogers probably has a handshake deal with Ralph to buy the team. Now the Rogers Centre is barely passable for an NFL stadium but who's to say they don't try to build new one down the road? Plus I think the NFL would like to avoid the black eye of moving another franchise like the Bills, one that still gets good support.

A deal like this sends a message to L.A. that the Bills are spoken for. Then it will probably bee a slow transition to a new stadium in Canada. Tickets will be more expensive but current season ticket holders will be given the chance of buying. End result is the Bills won't be in Buffalo but won't be so far away that you couldn't see a game if you wanted to. It sucks but it's not like WNY has any white knight billionaires ready to ride in and save the team.

PTR

It's share the team or have no team.

PTR

You're right. Easy decision for me......GOODBYE.

Have some friggin pride in yourself.

Nah, sorry about that comment. It should be directed at Ralph. Have some friggin pride in yourself Ralph. It's Buffalo's team, not Toronto. If you want it to be Toronto's team, have some nuts and move it there, otherwise quit fuggin with everyone and just move it.

Edited by Lv-Bills

Really? I think a lot will depend on who ends up owning the team after Ralph, but if I had to choose now I would choose "Have no team."

Exactly. I would be crushed having no BUFFALO Bills. It's going to royally suck. But to ante up and embrace it in Toronto. Jeez. There's no way in hell. None. Zip. It's not going to be hard at all.

I'm done if they split four games. That's just garbage. Period. There's only so much you can take. Attendance is already falling because of the fact they are so dysfunctional. 4-4 would push even more off the cliff. A move to Toronto would end it for all but about 10% of Bills fans. Maybe less.

If Roger's vice chairman Phil Lind gets his way, we'll split our regular season schedule! Perfect timing with this quote considering we are playing this weekend in Toronto and we're still not happy about it after 3 years!

http://www.salon.com/wires/sports/11/05/D9JA48Q00_fbn_bills_in_toronto/

Is this Ralph's big plan for saving our franchise...split time between two cities as Green Bay did before they made the permanent leap to Lambeau?

I would have a hard time staying a loyal fan if I had to share my team with another city.

Thoughts?

I believe it is the only likely way the team stays in the region. The major gap in the situation though is that Rogers is not an NFL ready stadium and can't be modified for it. It would be hard to believe that a new stadium is built for only 4 games. If Money were no bject itr would be cool to have the stadium in the Falls closer to the border.

1) PTR is legit and is pretty much always right...

2) When the series is done, I see the Rogers group renewing their contract, but for additional games...Only receiving an extra game per Regular Season (2 games), including a 3rd game every preseason.

3) By the time the contract is renewed, the NFL will probably be at 18 regular season games!

-STUDNET

Edited by KollegeStudnet

Why do some of you get upset about something that has not happened? The guy can say what they want to do. It does not mean it will happen.

Why do some others of you assume the Bills will A.) move. B.) have to play multiple games in Canada to stay in the region C.) There is nobody who can

buy the team and keep them in the area.

Bills could have moved years ago multiple different times. Mr. Wilson wasn't interested. You truly think a businessman has no plan for his

business once he passes on? Really? Because we don't know what it is does not mean it doesn't exist. I would bet there is a plan and I would

bet most people will be happy with that plan when all is said and done. Bills aren't going anywhere. You'd do better to concern yourselves with

getting the local politicians to keep working on that waterfront development.

Edited by purple haze

1) PTR is legit and is pretty much always right...

2) When the series is done, I see the Rogers group renewing their contract, but for additional games...Only receiving an extra game per Regular Season (2 games), including a 3rd game every preseason.

3) By the time the contract is renewed, the NFL will probably be at 18 regular season games!

-STUDNET

So we can't disagree? We're to take one man's opinion and just accept it as gospel? Sorry but if its half or nothing, I'll take nothing. I've supported this team as a season ticket holder and as a taxpayer. I have confidence in myself and won't feel bad about myself if they leave. I also am not willing to have Erie County subsize the the stadium at the same rate for half the games, that's a diminishing return on the investment and doesn't help the vendors, businesses and other people who rely on the 7/8 home games a year.

Pack you team and leave. He's laying the groundwork anyway. Anyone who can't see it is a dreamy-eyed fool.

I will bet you will change your mind when the team is really gone. Easy to talk tough now.

PTR

It's not a matter of talking tough PTR. That has nothing to do with it. Its a matter of it being a Buffalo team. If the team leaves I doubt it will be Toronto. They are losing money. Look into it. It won't work there. Lind later clarified his comments. They are only committed to the 5 year deal. My link Toronto

Exactly. I would be crushed having no BUFFALO Bills. It's going to royally suck. But to ante up and embrace it in Toronto. Jeez. There's no way in hell. None. Zip. It's not going to be hard at all.

I'm done if they split four games. That's just garbage. Period. There's only so much you can take. Attendance is already falling because of the fact they are so dysfunctional. 4-4 would push even more off the cliff. A move to Toronto would end it for all but about 10% of Bills fans. Maybe less.

I think there would be such a backlash in WNY, that fans would stop buying tix in Buffalo and we already know they don't buy tickets in Toronto. I just don't see it working.

Edited by seq004

It's true. Accept it or come up with a way to reverse 50 years of economic decline that has eroded the area's ability to sell hundreds of luxury suites for $300,000 a pop.

Ralph Wilson is an Idiot! Bill Polian showed ole ralphie that "if you build it, they will come" back in the 90's, but perhaps now that Wilson is in his 90's, and is so senile that he forgets important things like that.

My point is, that if the stadium sells out game after game, year after year for a 7-9 team ....then just imagine what the fans would do if the team ever became competitive again! This Bills fans base is such a loyal, die-hard, bunch of crazies that have been deprived of winning for so long that they still cling dearly to a team that was successful 20 years ago.

Selling corporate is what is needed to sell those luxury suites and those types aren't fooled by the morons in the Bills front office / marketing the same way normal fans are, they want to see wins, and lots of them. Bringing in a T.O. or a new rookie QB isn't going to fill those suites, the only thing that will fill them is a competitive playoff team. Sadly, the only way that is going to happen is ownership needs to change. The guy has to know and understand the difference between a Polian and Nix, between a Chan Gailey and a Chuck Knox, or maybe he doesn't anymore.

There are several alternatives out there to fix this team correctly, just hiring Marty Schottenheimer as HC and let him do his thing would get the team into the playoffs in one year or so, but this singular move most likely won't win a SB, unless Marty is able to hire his son away from the Jets to run the offense. Hiring Bill Cowher as GM / HC would be another positive move in hiring someone that knows what they are doing, plus with both job titles it would merit the salary that would need to pay him.

Another alternative would be hiring current Atlanta Falcons GM Thomas Demitroff away from the Falcons and promoting him to GM/ president and then let him build the Bills they way he did with the Falcons, that way at least when the team drafts a rookie QB this next draft they will get someone worth the money they will need to pay him. The last ten years of drafting has been a royal cluster!@#$ for this franchise with way more misses then hits. I've already seen one Buddy Nix draft and free agency, we don't need to see anymore Cornell Greens or maybe RB's This team needs some people at the very top making the right decisions, Nix / Gailey are not the answer, although now I can see why Cowher wanted Gailey as his OC, but that still doesn't make him a quality head coach.