Bills/Toronto headed for a season split!?

A perfect example. Thank you!

How many insurance salesmen have a $200-300M sports complex named after them without spending a dime of their own money on it?

(I guarantee that if someone offered RW $100M to put their corporate name on RW Stadium, it'd be renamed with new signage up before dusk - there just are no 'takers' for that kind of naming fee here in WNY.)

Aren't TV Rights money split with all the teams and is is a ton of dough for each team? doesn't this dwarf the suites income?. aren't we 25 to 35 million less than last year's team salary and on cash to cap to beigin with the way we do contracts? Me thinks Ralphie boy is pocketing a lot of money each year even when we are crap.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aren't TV Rights money split with all the teams and is is a ton of dough for each team? doesn't this dwarf the suites income?. aren't we 25 to 35 million less than last year's team salary and on cash to cap to beigin with the way we do contracts? Me thinks Ralphie boy is pocketing a lot of money each year even when we are crap.

Suite income is not shared. So people like Jerruh Jones makes a buttload that he keeps. That pays for stuff like big name coaches, scouts and fancy facilities. It's a fact that the Bills are in the black but they hardly compare to Dallas or new England. The TV money pays the players, whatever is leftover goes for coaches, front office, etc.

PTR

Yea sure, tell that to Jerry Jones...

Complete horsehockey, after having owned my own business I can tell you that corporations won't buy tickets for perks to see perennial losers, not in this economy. Who in their right mind would want to buy into a losing franchise. You don't need fortune 500 company's to sell those suites, put a winner on the field and they will sell, to small businesses and large. Perhaps there are companies out there that don't really care if the team goes 0-16 and will buy suites just for the "perks"... although I highly doubt it.

It's worth pointing out that many companies write off the cost of suites and boxes as corporate entertainment expenses, so you and I subsidize them with the taxes we pay (that they don't.)

PTR

once again, for the bijillionth time, if this franchise doesnt find a way to get toronto companies to buy boxes in bflo then this team is gaan

- luxury boxes are what bring in the biggest money for nfl teams

- you could double the price of regular tickets and sell out every game forever and it still wouldnt be enough to keep this team here

- bflo simply does not have enough large corporations to get what they need for their boxes with just bflo companies

- even if you include rochester, there still arent enough corporate customers to keep the team here (hence the toronto campaign)

- by having games played in toronto you can force toronto companies to buy boxes in bflo if they want to have one in toronto

ive said for almost ten years now i expect this team to leave sooner rather than later if they dont figure this out; thus, i would begrudgingly accept up to half the games being played in toronto

listen numnuts, you better damn well get 100% behind this toronto partnership. you have no choice if you want a team in bflo AT ALL. if this partnership fails this team is GAAN. so you better damn well pray they continue to have games in hoserland, and most likely more than one regular game per season

reading over these posts im sure it feels great to beat your chest and demand ralph get out of toronto

hows that gonna feel in five years when theres no team here at all?

too bad the whole idea of the Toronto series to attract corporations to buy premium seating at the Ralph was a bad joke.
The whole idea is to give those big money people a taste of what the Bills have to offer and in all honesty, the Rogers Centre is ill-suited for that. People are paying premium prices for poor seating where the sightlines aren't suited for the NFL. In Ralph Wilson Stadium, there are great sightlines all over the stadium. There's also the lack of tailgating, something that Buffalo is known for. Buffalo, Green Bay, and Kansas City are always the top 3 NFL cities in regards to their tailgating. True tailgating has nothing to do with excessive alcohol consumption but everything to do with the feeling of community in the parking lots around the stadium as fans grill up their dinners and share with fellow tailgaters. Toronto doesn't allow tailgating, which detracts from the gameday experience.

Here's my solution

a better way to sell these luxury boxes is a lot easier than moving games and upsetting the loyal fan base. Simply set aside a few luxury boxes that aren't selling for the purpose of giving these large corporations a taste of a real gameday experience. The luxury boxes are contracted for a period of a few years as it is. If there are some that aren't selling for a few years, sell them for individual games. Maybe those corporate types would be more inclined to buy luxury boxes if they saw what a real gameday experience was about...because they certainly aren't seeing it in the Rogers Centre atmosphere. Hopefully though, this Toronto series can help draw Canadian corporations to Buffalo. If nothing else, the wealthy people in Toronto buying up these tickets are hearing what a great experience a real Bills home game is from the fans who either already make the drive down to the Ralph on a regular basis or the diehards that make the trip up to Toronto.

Suite income is not shared. So people like Jerruh Jones makes a buttload that he keeps. That pays for stuff like big name coaches, scouts and fancy facilities. It's a fact that the Bills are in the black but they hardly compare to Dallas or new England. The TV money pays the players, whatever is leftover goes for coaches, front office, etc.

PTR

It's worth pointing out that many companies write off the cost of suites and boxes as corporate entertainment expenses, so you and I subsidize them with the taxes we pay (that they don't.)

PTR

Its also worth pointing out that during the 2-14 seasons you couldn't GIVE the Bills home game tickets away, I outta know :bag:. I was offered seats to Xerox boxes and others seats from friends game after home game all over the stadium, even seats on the 50 yard line. There was a reason the stadium was half empty, the home games weren't televised, the parking lots empty, the fans not even bothering to tailgate, most fans stopped coming to games and lost interest in the team.

It would be different if this was a perennial playoff team and still couldn't sell suites, then you could make the argument that there isn't enough big corporations in and around the Buffalo area to buy those suites. Winning cures everything! Why do you think Jerry Jones is currently freaking out because his team is 1-6, and he has a huge new stadium to fill.... he knows and understands that people will stop coming if he can't put a winner on the field.

Actually it was my understanding that the big difference between the old CBA and the new one is that under the old syste, there was a designated gross which made up the cap which consisted of huge items like TV revenue and smaller items like regular ticket sake but did NOT include revenue from items like premium seats such as luxury suites.

Under this system NFL owners like Mr. Ralph took actions like adding a bunch of "premium" seats such as the heated seats at the Ralph and did this in part by reducing the overall capacity and number of regular tickets. This move though it directly reduced the salary cap and payments to players was simply ignored by the NFLPA as actually regular ticket are chump change in terms of revenue compared to the far larger take from the TV networks (in fact the thinking in the NFL has slowly changed to realize that actually any blackout is stupid as the NFL does far better advertising their product through broadcasts than the relatively small amount of revenue from tickets sales and premium seats.

Gene Upshaw and the NFLPA thought it was fine to let the owners have a few dollars with DGR as he publicly stated that the new CBA would see the cap determined by total revenues rather than DGR and from his perspective the new take for the players from the total revenue gained by teams for NFL games needed to start with a six.

As it happened, Paul Tagliaboo-boo, the keepers of the Pete Rozelle legacy and team owners like Jerry Jones basically forced stick in the mud owners like Mr. Ralph to bend over and say can I have another and accept the current CBA because even though the owner % was smaller than it was back in the day when the team owners could pretend to operate under a free-market, the team owners simply made more money with labor peace virtually guaranteeing production of a product the nets would pay billions for.

My understanding is that total team revenues are the determinant of the salary cap and how much the players get and the old DGR method where owners tried to maximize their premium seat take because they did not have to share it is not the way the league operates under the current CBA.

PTR

The Bills have had their winning & their losing cycles throughout their history - and history has proven that, when things hit 'rock-bottom', Ralph opens up his wallet and his checkbook.

I would say that things right now are pretty near 'rock bottom' - look for RW to lay out huge sums when we draft Ryan Mallet AND Gabe Carimi in the same draft (along with Dontay Moch, Owen Marecic, and Greg Romeus), then lay out more $$$$ in free agency to fill in the missing pieces...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

It'll be 'heaven' in 2011!!!!! B-)

Edited by The Senator