Jay Glazer Comments about Merriman

Glazer is wrong. Buffalo is the perfect destination for a guy like Merriman. He needs a low key, zero expectations sort of place to play well to get that last big contract. He can get healthy here, get the big numbers and get straightened out.

Lastly, I wouldn't be shocked should he perform, that Buffalo would give him the big contract. One less hole to fill via draft. This team has had an excellent track record in signing quality free agent linebackers, and I'd like to believe that team's confidence in him would be rewarded.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This team has had an excellent track record in signing quality free agent linebackers, and I'd like to believe that team's confidence in him would be rewarded.

Whaaaaa??????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Speilman? no

London Fletcher? yes

Takeo Spikes? no

anyone after 2005? no

What history are you talking about?

Did you have the same opinion before we signed Takeo Spikes? These Bills are too cheap to pay anyone posts are getting pretty ridiculous. Some say we won't pay Luck (if we're #1 & he declares). Now the Bills/Ralph too cheap crowd is prognosticating they won't pay a guy who, if we're lucky, just arrived at the airport. :wallbash:

Really you're bringing up a FA from 7 years ago in effort to try and say the Bills Pay their players? Really?

Really? Because that just seems so silly why would you post that?

Its not an opinion. It is FACT. The Bills have been considerably under the former Salary Cap and still well under that number today.

You might have a point if

1 You can name one quality free agent signing in the last 7 years.

2. The Bills paid anything near what the rest of the NFL pays in salary.

Its just silly to pretend otherwise.

Its not indictment of OPD, its an obvious observation.

Whaaaaa??????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Speilman? no

London Fletcher? yes

Takeo Spikes? no

anyone after 2005? no

What history are you talking about?

Really you're bringing up a FA from 7 years ago in effort to try and say the Bills Pay their players? Really?

Really? Because that just seems so silly why would you post that?

Its not an opinion. It is FACT. The Bills have been considerably under the former Salary Cap and still well under that number today.

You might have a point if

1 You can name one quality free agent signing in the last 7 years.

2. The Bills paid anything near what the rest of the NFL pays in salary.

Its just silly to pretend otherwise.

Its not indictment of OPD, its an obvious observation.

The Bills overpaid a ton for Dockery & Walker-That's a FACT! Just because they didn't provide the quality that matched their salary, doesn't mean they weren't willing to spend the $.

This move makes football sense in the fact that this shows that the Bills are honestly desperately trying to win this year, although Merrimen won't be ready to play for a few games as I understand it. However, I agree that this move makes no sense from a business stand point as there is no way that Merrimen signs with Buffalo after the season, so if for some reason the guy isn't able to contribute much this season, its a waste of money.

BTW, It made no sense to claim Randy Moss simply because he stated if he didn't like the team that claimed him he would sit out the rest of the year, besides the Bills seem to be fine at the WR position now with Johnson-Evans-Parrish now making big plays with Fitz at QB.

How does it make no sense from a business decision. 2 mil is super cheap for a starting OLB, and you still play games in 2010.

People seem to forget that there are 9 games left.

You get a possibly good OLB and definitely an upgrade from what you have for 2 mil. Its a damn steal.

If Merriman uses this time as a showcase and performs Lights Out even if its for 9 games, its probably the best business decision the Bills have made in a long time even if he leaves.

And you're right on about Moss it would have made no sense to claim him.

I don't agree with that. You have to try to field a good team. Right now the defense is so awful that you can't even fairly evaluate the individual players. Right now, LB is the weakest link, so they went out and got a guy. You owe it to the fans to try to put a quality product out there. I know I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do. As for next year, who knows... maybe he'll sign and stay. Or maybe it will turn out that his best days are behind him and he no longer belongs in the NFL.

At least the Bills acknowledged that they need to improve. That's a step in the right direction. Doing nothing because "we aren't going to make the playoffs" is defeatism.

I have to say I agree for the most part. Look at it this way, are you going to let your QB (future of the franchise or not) put his shoulders down into linebackers just to get a first down all out of the desire to win, then you HAVE to try and field the best team (in this case defense) you can. If only to give the guys out there playing their hearts out a fighting chance to win.

If he is gone next year oh well who cares. People B word that we need LB help and then get all :blink: when we go out and get one. It's not like we were going to be able to draft that future dominant LB in the middle of the season. Give the kid a shot to resurrect his career. If he does great, if he doesn't then he is gone after the season and it's on to the next one.

More or less he said it was a move that made no sense because we arent going to make the playoffs and he will be out of Buffalo as soon as the seasons over.

Anyone agree?

For the most part. I Haven't seen him suit up or play for us. The good is, for once at One Bills Drive, they recognized a need and took action to fill it. If Merriman can be an impact player here that's great and hopefully we'll re sign him. If not, no big loss. There are many impact LBs out there via draft and FA we can acquire. The good here is. Buddy recognized a problem, brought in a guy who may be able to help us.

The Bills overpaid a ton for Dockery & Walker-That's a FACT! Just because they didn't provide the quality that matched their salary, doesn't mean they weren't willing to spend the $.

So 2 Free agents in 7 years, that the best you can do. And the team is still less than 90% of the salary cap, so why wouldn't they spend the full amount of money? There weren't any players available?

They don't spend the money because it is the Bills business plan to run on the cheap.

You really are blind if you don't see that.

He's already indicated he doesn't want to be here. He'll be sitting on the sidelines nursing injuries 3/4 of the year. He'll cause drama somewhere. Then he'll leave as soon as the season is over.

I don't like the move.

wrong.

He can't get a big contract next year on name alone.

He has to showcase he is still lights out if he wants a big contract.

If he nurses injuries and causes drama he will be costing himself tons of dough.

He will be a perfectly well behaved young man, and if he can he will play up to his full potential to earn a large contract next year.

Once he gets the deal he can go back to drama.

Edited by Levitre + Wang = Wood

wrong.

He can't get a big contract next year on name alone.

He has to showcase he is still lights out if he wants a big contract.

If he nurses injuries and causes drama he will be costing himself tons of dough.

He will be a perfectly well behaved young man, and if he can he will play up to his full potential to earn a large contract next year.

Once he gets the deal he can go back to drama.

So at the best, we still miss the playoffs, we lose draft position, our LBs lose time in our current defensive scheme, and we don't retain him.

Great move :)

Do you have a link indicating this?

I'll have to search for it, but iirc, it was in an ESPN article.

Could be heresay, could be fact, who knows with the media. Either way, I can't imagine going from a good team in good weather, to a bad team in bad weather to be something he wants to do.

He won't be here next year, so I don't understand the point.

Do you have a link indicating this?

The Tim Graham blog at http://espn.go.com/blog/AFCEast/post/_/id/21111/shawne-merriman-worth-a-shot-for-buffalo:

Also, a source close to Merriman told me he "wasn't thrilled" to be going to Buffalo, even though Bills general manager Buddy Nix oversaw the Chargers' college scouting department when they drafted him in 2005.

I can imagine a senerio where he plays well and this fan base goes crazy over him. He seems like the type of player that craves that attension. If the FO ponys up the money I think he stays. He could leave and become a small fish in someone else's big pond, but hero worship is a strong adictive drug. Just my opinion.

So at the best, we still miss the playoffs, we lose draft position, our LBs lose time in our current defensive scheme, and we don't retain him.

I am curious as to which of our current outside linebackers you think are going to improve after a year of learning the defensive scheme. Beyond that, which ones even warrant consideration of being on the team next year?

The Tim Graham blog at http://espn.go.com/blog/AFCEast/post/_/id/21111/shawne-merriman-worth-a-shot-for-buffalo:

Also, a source close to Merriman told me he "wasn't thrilled" to be going to Buffalo, even though Bills general manager Buddy Nix oversaw the Chargers' college scouting department when they drafted him in 2005.

Thanks Punch :thumbsup:

-----

Guys, don't get me wrong...

As much as I don't think the pickup was the best... he probably doesn't *harm* the team. And I *hope* he plays like a stud, and if he does, we retain him.

I just very much suspect he'll not recover from ever nagging injuries, and then go elsewhere after the season is over.

I am curious as to which of our current outside linebackers you think are going to improve after a year of learning the defensive scheme. Beyond that, which ones even warrant consideration of being on the team next year?

Realistically, probably no one.

But, players have improved in the past when given time, so I say stick with what you have when you are rebuilding... see if they can improve, evaluate at the end of the season, vs getting someone who looks to be here for a few games, and leaves at the end of the year.

Great move :)

1. We miss the playoffs with or without him, so that is irrelevant.

2. So Specifically what players are not being developed?

The LBs on this team are proven dogs, none of them are long term solutions, there is no time lost in a scheme that won't even be here for long, so that is irrelevant.

3. So if you miss the playoffs you should go 0-16 for the best draft pick? Really? You're hoping for an 0-16 season? That's just silly.

Edited by Levitre + Wang = Wood

Let's take a poll...how many people would be "thrilled" if they had to move from sunny San Diego, to Buffalo as the winter is approaching? I love Buffalo as much as anybody else, but even I would have a tough time being thrilled if it meant moving from an area I lived with almost perfect weather for the last 6 years.

1. We miss the playoffs with or without him, so that is irrelevant.

2. So Specifically what players are not being developed?

The LBs on this team are proven dogs, none of them are long term solutions, there is no time lost in a scheme that won't even be here for long, so that is irrelevant.

3. So if you miss the playoffs you should go 0-16 for the best draft pick? Really? You're hoping for an 0-16 season? That's just silly.

1. Exactly my point. Bringing him in doesn't improve our team in any sort of relevant way. No playoffs = busted season, imo.

2. Like I said elsewhere. Realistically none of our LBs are keepers (save for Poz). But since we are rebuilding, you might as well give your guys the whole season to develop or not. Bringing in a guy who doesn't want to be here, and will leave at the end of the year seems counter productive no matter what.

3. Do I want the Bills to lose every game? As a fan? Absolutely not. I want them to win every game they play. From a strategy stand point? Bringing in a guy who isn't going to return and possibly improving the team from last place record to 28th place record, and losing out on (insert stud franchise guy here) just seems... again, counter productive.

That being said...

I hope that I'm wrong.

I really do.

I hope that he comes in here and lights up opposing QBs. That we now have a defense that can hold other teams. And that he is so excited about playing awesome here that he decides to return.

But hope and realistic expectations are very much separate for me.

Edited by Dorkington