Anyone with ESPN Insider - Schefter Q&A

Virgil

He basically says that while we need a stud defensive lineman or two stud offensive lineman, that if a franchise QB is there, no matter how well Fitz plays this year, that we have to take him. He says if we can draft a guy to build arond for a decade, that we need to do it, whether we have glaring needs elsewhere or not. I kind of agree with him, but I do think that if we actually had a pass rush we might have some wins.

Q: After the way Ryan Fitzpatrick has played, many people are claiming the Buffalo Bills can address their needs on the offensive and defensive line before grabbing a QB in the draft, especially if Andrew Luck doesn't declare. I'm not too sure I agree. What do you think is their biggest area of need?

-- Eric (New York)

A: Eric, if there is a franchise quarterback there, someone the Bills can build their franchise around for the next decade, Buffalo must take him. No matter what. No matter how well Fitzpatrick plays the rest of the season. Now Buffalo could use help elsewhere. It could use a stud defensive lineman, and there will be one available. And it could use a great offensive lineman or two (or three). But the truth is, if Luck is there and the Bills have the top pick, it would be wise for the Stanford QB to start perusing real estate in the Buffalo area.

It is becoming a huge if now that there is going to be a franchise QB. I really don't want locker with our first pick. If luck listens to his dad and stays another year, then that would just suck for us. He is the only QB I would take with our first pick as it stands now. 4 months from now, who knows.

I'd disagree with HAVING to take a QB. There's no way to guarantee anybody will be a franchise player, names like Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch and JP Losman come to mind.

I think you'd have to go surest bet to succeed and hope they pan out and it's not a Mike Williams situation. That or try and trade down and pick up a few picks.

Q: After the way Ryan Fitzpatrick has played, many people are claiming the Buffalo Bills can address their needs on the offensive and defensive line before grabbing a QB in the draft, especially if Andrew Luck doesn't declare. I'm not too sure I agree. What do you think is their biggest area of need?

-- Eric (New York)

A: Eric, if there is a franchise quarterback there, someone the Bills can build their franchise around for the next decade, Buffalo must take him. No matter what. No matter how well Fitzpatrick plays the rest of the season. Now Buffalo could use help elsewhere. It could use a stud defensive lineman, and there will be one available. And it could use a great offensive lineman or two (or three). But the truth is, if Luck is there and the Bills have the top pick, it would be wise for the Stanford QB to start perusing real estate in the Buffalo area.

I agree. The only way we take a QB this April is if Luck comes out. Look at what Bradford is doing in his rookie year and look at what St. Louis has to look forward to for the next 10 years. Don't get me wrong , the perfect situation for me would be for Fitz to shatter any doubt about his franchise qb potential, Luck decides to stay @ Stanford , and the Bills take the top rated pass rusher , thus , accelerating the rebuilding of the franchise.

I'd disagree with HAVING to take a QB. There's no way to guarantee anybody will be a franchise player, names like Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch and JP Losman come to mind.

I think you'd have to go surest bet to succeed and hope they pan out and it's not a Mike Williams situation. That or try and trade down and pick up a few picks.

Hilarious. I love the sarcasm man.

O.K. but what happens if he pulls a Tom Cousinoe or an Eli Manning and flat out refuses to come here to play ?? I agree we need a good QB but i think with out showing some forward progress or one hell of a lot of bank these guys aren't going to want to come here .

So what then ?? If they have a good line to play behind and the Bills prove they are willing to pay to protect this franchise QB then maybe they won't think twice about coming but if their going to come he to get the crap beat out of them i wouldn't come either !!!

His lack of starting experience and Matt Ryan aside, he is one of if not the most sure-thing QB prospects I can remember. Lack of Starts didnt keep Sanchez out of the top 5 either.

If Luck Declares, not only is he hands down the top rated QB, I think he is easily the BPA on the board. I just dont see a pass rusher or LT or any other player at any position clearly worth the top pick this year. (I said pass rusher and LT bc they along with QB are generally the only positions considered for the top pick. I dont see a no brainier stud like Calvin Johnson or Suh at another position to be the consensus top guy)

Its a decision only the Bills could mess up :thumbsup:

O.K. but what happens if he pulls a Tom Cousinoe or an Eli Manning and flat out refuses to come here to play ?? I agree we need a good QB but i think with out showing some forward progress or one hell of a lot of bank these guys aren't going to want to come here .

So what then ?? If they have a good line to play behind and the Bills prove they are willing to pay to protect this franchise QB then maybe they won't think twice about coming but if their going to come he to get the crap beat out of them i wouldn't come either !!!

I dont think you can live in fear of that. Couldn't the offensive lineman you speak of pull the same thing? What is the alternative, pass on the pick and don't draft anyone?

This is part of the run-up to draft day - with a #1 pick, teams work to make sure that they can sign or deal the guy they select.

Should the bills get the first overall pick, and it looks like they will, I'd say go BPA for OT-OLB-QB with that first pick. Meaning if a Patrick Willis is there, a Jake Long is there, if a Andrew Luck is there, then you take the QB. That would be a nice predicament to be in for Buffalo, and knowing their history of pick the last ten years they will screw it up again.

Knowing the Bills luck....they will win a game or two this year and Dallas will get the first overall and Andrew Luck will declare :bag:

It's starting to look like Luck is the only QB in college football worthy of a 1st round pick. The other guys are starting to look more and more flawed/ mediocre . If Luck doesn't declare, I'd be pretty upset if Buffalo still took a QB with their 1st pick at this point. This is turning into the big hype QB draft.