An Important Speech

I've decided he really is just this stupid, and he realizes it, so he ultimately throws out some some intentionally stupid stuff to make us question ourselves.

Back to the topic at hand, I found it interesting that liberal hippies for years have yelled and screamed and protested and hung presidents in effigy and painted Hitler moustaches on posters and toured the Cindy Sheehan's of the world for everyone to see, and the very moment the right gets into the game, we THEN must find civility.

It also became very clear to me this weekend that while Stewart's message was interesting, it's lost on the very people he admonishes. I watched a CNN segment early Sunday morning where the host was talking about all the anger and lack of civility out there, showing clips of Hannity and Beck and Olbermann and Shultz...and then to discuss the lack of civility, he brings in Arianna Huffington. :lol: :lol:

You're missing the point, as well, if you think this rally was a call from liberal hippies for civility. Although Stewart clearly has liberal leanings, he most consistently mocks extremists on either side of the spectrum (a place where I'd put liberal hippies) and, in particular, the news media's (both far liberal and conservative) propagation of these extreme views.

I think most people see Stewart as more of a liberal bias because he's most frequently mocking Fox News. However, I think that's just because Fox News is perhaps the most biased, most extreme, and most popular "news" agency out there. He mocks MSNBC quite a bit as well - but let's face it... if a "news" person shouts into the TV and no one is watching does s/he still make a sound (i.e. it's easier to make fun of Beck because everyone's heard of him; but can you make fun of... uhhmm.. uhh.. who does MSNBC have?)

As to the 2nd bolded statement... that doesn't surprise me at all. And if you watch Stewart with any regularity, you'll find he mocks CNN quite bit because they don't get it either. And you're point about bringing Huffington in to talk discuss the lack of civility is exactly the type of bit his show thrives on. You can't make that kind of stuff up!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're missing the point, as well, if you think this rally was a call from liberal hippies for civility. Although Stewart clearly has liberal leanings, he most consistently mocks extremists on either side of the spectrum (a place where I'd put liberal hippies) and, in particular, the news media's (both far liberal and conservative) propagation of these extreme views.

I think most people see Stewart as more of a liberal bias because he's most frequently mocking Fox News. However, I think that's just because Fox News is perhaps the most biased, most extreme, and most popular "news" agency out there. He mocks MSNBC quite a bit as well - but let's face it... if a "news" person shouts into the TV and no one is watching does s/he still make a sound (i.e. it's easier to make fun of Beck because everyone's heard of him; but can you make fun of... uhhmm.. uhh.. who does MSNBC have?)

As to the 2nd bolded statement... that doesn't surprise me at all. And if you watch Stewart with any regularity, you'll find he mocks CNN quite bit because they don't get it either. And you're point about bringing Huffington in to talk discuss the lack of civility is exactly the type of bit his show thrives on. You can't make that kind of stuff up!

I think the reason he mocks FoxSnooze so much isn't because they're so biased, but just because they're so !@#$ing mockable.

I mean, this is a "news" station I watched interrupt coverage of the invasion of Iraq to interview Rupert Murdoch for half an hour on the launch of a new "conservitve" communications satellite. At my old job, we used to watch Fox religiously for lunch just to try and catch the ever-elusive "Fox News Trifecta": high-speed car chase, missing white woman, and construction site accident (bonus points if the missing white woman goes missing on a Monday; then they've got their noon news hour set for the rest of the week).

That's not news...it's not even propaganda. It's just !@#$ing stupid. How can you not mock that?

I think the reason he mocks FoxSnooze so much isn't because they're so biased, but just because they're so !@#$ing mockable.

I mean, this is a "news" station I watched interrupt coverage of the invasion of Iraq to interview Rupert Murdoch for half an hour on the launch of a new "conservitve" communications satellite. At my old job, we used to watch Fox religiously for lunch just to try and catch the ever-elusive "Fox News Trifecta": high-speed car chase, missing white woman, and construction site accident (bonus points if the missing white woman goes missing on a Monday; then they've got their noon news hour set for the rest of the week).

That's not news...it's not even propaganda. It's just !@#$ing stupid. How can you not mock that?

Point made.... point taken.

You're missing the point, as well, if you think this rally was a call from liberal hippies for civility.

I realize the rally wasn't a call from liberal hippies for civility. But just as Beck's rally was trumpeted by the far right, this rally was trumpeted by the far left. While I'm sure Stewart appreciated the huge turnout, you didn't have to look far to see where that turnout came from (i.e. the HuffPost screaming that their buses brought 10,000 people to the gathering).

So I liked Stewart's closing message that you can't hear anything if everyone is yelling, but it wasn't lost on me that he was saying it to a large group of people whose biggest problem is not that there's too much noise, but rather that they're no longer the loudest voice. People like Arianna Huffington went out of their way to tie herself to the hip of this event, and I'd be willing to bet that somewhere, privately, Stewart wished he didn't need the bombthrowers like her to ensure the crowd was large.

Edited by LABillzFan

I realize the rally wasn't a call from liberal hippies for civility. But just as Beck's rally was trumpeted by the far right, this rally was trumpeted by the far left. While I'm sure Stewart appreciated the huge turnout, you didn't have to look far to see where that turnout came from (i.e. the HuffPost screaming that their buses brought 10,000 people to the gathering).

So I liked Stewart's closing message that you can't hear anything if everyone is yelling, but it wasn't lost on me that he was saying it to a large group of people whose biggest problem is not that there's too much noise, but rather that they're no longer the loudest voice. People like Arianna Huffington went out of their way to tie herself to the hip of this event, and I'd be willing to bet that somewhere, privately, Stewart wished he didn't need the bombthrowers like her to ensure the crowd was large.

But inherently I think Stewart recognized that in his crowd were the lefty screamers and what better time than to appeal for rationality then at that moment.

The fact that this may have been lost on all of them still may remain but hey...at least he tried.

Good points. But, to some extent, people will always try and jump on whatever train they think will help them. And I'm sure in the early days of the planning, Comedy Central was latching on to anyone... just to guarantee someone showed up. In the end, if the estimates are right and over 200,000 people showed up, 10-20,000 from Huffpost is a literal drop in the bucket.

In one way, I'd agree he might regret to some extent her involvement; but then again, that's in many ways the target audience of his message. So, maybe it's not so bad that she did bring people down. If the far right had brought a bunch of folks, perhaps the event would have even more impact. I doubt it, because extremist on either side rarely listen to someone else. But at least the target of the rally's message would have been in greater attendance.

I think it was good to end the event as he did with some semi-serious remarks. But, for me, you can't beat the beauty and imagery of using a battle between Cat Stevens' Peace Train and Ozzy's Crazy Train only to compromise on the O'Jays' Love Train. Great bit, well worth the price of admission.

Does the fact that this casts the Mythbusters and Bill Nye accurately, as TV personalities whose primary goal is entertainment, mean you would accept the Mythbuster's word automagically about Global WarmingTM?

Perhaps Jamie and Adam should do a show on Global WarmingTM. :rolleyes:

I still can't figure out how this was "An Important Speech"?

It was an important speech to the idealogical left because if you remove the last 12 minutes, it was just a bunch of people bused in to Washington to watch a live version of The Daily Show with special appearances by Cat Stevens, Ozzy Osbourne, Sam Waterston, Sheryl Crow and the O'Jays.

It was an important speech to the idealogical left because if you remove the last 12 minutes, it was just a bunch of people bused in to Washington to watch a live version of The Daily Show with special appearances by Cat Stevens, Ozzy Osbourne, Sam Waterston, Sheryl Crow and the O'Jays.

In other words, a distraction.

Hey, don't look at those unemployement numbers, look at Jon Stewart, he likes me.

:bag:

2 for 2!

Both clueless, and ironic!

Hooray!

I love that republican talking point "democrats don't do enough or pay attention to unemployment..." How freakin' stupid are republicans. EVERYONE cares about job loss. EVERYONE. Although, I do find it funny the people that B word the most about it are the same people who support sending jobs overseas.

I love that republican talking point "democrats don't do enough or pay attention to unemployment..." How freakin' stupid are republicans. EVERYONE cares about job loss. EVERYONE. Although, I do find it funny the people that B word the most about it are the same people who support sending jobs overseas.

OC does not like factual information. So things like the fact that Dems care about job loss escape him.

Yes, during the 1.5 year health care debate ALL we heard was Democrats pleading for Obama to focus on Jobs. It was the Republicans and Independents that demanded we focus on health care. :lol: You are making this way too easy for me.

OC does not like factual information. So things like the fact that Dems care about job loss escape him.

No, OC is still waiting for whether you would accept the results of the Mythbusters doing a show on Global WarmingTM.

He's nothing more than a republican talking point.

As I have said, I rolled out of my bed this morning and lo and behold, there was a text message from Karl Rove telling me to use your own posts to prove your doltery.

I am replying right now with "mission accomplished". :lol:

Edited by OCinBuffalo