Syracuse University 2010-11 Basketball

bills44

Anyone catch the mich game? With the game on hnet I couldnt see it. From the box score looked like another offensive dud and a big zero sgain from fab...

Melo was all hype, he's just not very good. Maybe he'll develop into something but the way Cuse is landing recruits, he may not get the time.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd rather have slender athletic guys who can ball over a knuckleheaded, slow footed, zero BB IQ having 7 footer.

I hate the 2-3, but it's better with a big bruiser at the 5 anchoring the zone than with a skinny, athletic guy down low

please keep in mind...i said Melo had his best game of the season...that doesn't mean he played 'well'...

what gave me the most encouragement was the game before against Michigan...Melo was on the bench and not moving, and towards the end of the game they show a shot of boeheim sitting next to Melo coaching him....that spoke volumes to me that this kid has potential and will be a force...boeheim has been in the biz far too long to waste his time coaching a project towards the end of the 2nd half of a game....

For the most part, I agree with this. However, FDM showed me absolutely nothing once again. Regarding Triche, he looks really tentative. Fair looks like a player...always seems to be in the right place at the right time. That 3 he hit at the end of the 1st half was huge.

I'll never understand Boeheim....Waiters has a great 1st half, pretty much keeping SU in the game, but barely sees the floor in the 2nd half. And for a team that can't shoot, why not give a sharpshooter like Mookie Jones some PT?

• 2 weeks later...

nice win last night against an over valued michigan state team who was definitely missing having lucas(?) at 100%. Rick Jackson is an absolute beast on the court so far. The freshman seem to be the key to this season. Fair, Waiters, Keita and Melo are getting serious minutes and keep getting better each day. Keita, gets up and down the court with incredible speed and is a very disruptive force inside, if he can add 15 pounds of muscle...watch out. Melo has looked better each game...while he didnt have any points last night, he 'addded' soft hooks to his repetoire(if he can perfect that shot, watch out). His passing ability is pretty sweet at this point as well. Can't say enough about how well Fair and Waiters are playing...as the season goes along, they are going to just keep getting better.

Joseph has been good, but hasn't needed to take over the games yet, if he can get into that mindset and really dominate the games this team will stop letting teams stay in reach. Scoop is Scoop, he needs to stop concentrating on throwing up the perfect alley oop, and use his speed and floater to get inside and dish or shoot from there. Triche is getting more into the rhythm of the season, and he had a few flashes last night...I hope he can get the confidence he seems to be missing because i think he can be an all-american caliber player....

...great win last night...no way was michigan st. worthy of #5 0r #7 ranking, but the Cuse handled their business very well.

GO ORANGE!!!!!!!!!!!

nice win last night against an over valued michigan state team who was definitely missing having lucas(?) at 100%. Rick Jackson is an absolute beast on the court so far. The freshman seem to be the key to this season. Fair, Waiters, Keita and Melo are getting serious minutes and keep getting better each day. Keita, gets up and down the court with incredible speed and is a very disruptive force inside, if he can add 15 pounds of muscle...watch out. Melo has looked better each game...while he didnt have any points last night, he 'addded' soft hooks to his repetoire(if he can perfect that shot, watch out). His passing ability is pretty sweet at this point as well. Can't say enough about how well Fair and Waiters are playing...as the season goes along, they are going to just keep getting better.

Joseph has been good, but hasn't needed to take over the games yet, if he can get into that mindset and really dominate the games this team will stop letting teams stay in reach. Scoop is Scoop, he needs to stop concentrating on throwing up the perfect alley oop, and use his speed and floater to get inside and dish or shoot from there. Triche is getting more into the rhythm of the season, and he had a few flashes last night...I hope he can get the confidence he seems to be missing because i think he can be an all-american caliber player....

...great win last night...no way was michigan st. worthy of #5 0r #7 ranking, but the Cuse handled their business very well.

GO ORANGE!!!!!!!!!!!

Great win. The key is going to be whether one of these guards can actually step up. Triche? Maybe Mookie? Someone is going to have to be a consistent scorer.

Loved what I've seen out of CJ Fair. I hope he gets more minutes. I wouldn't mind if they go smaller, with Fair, Joseph, and Jackson on the backline. Fair can jump through the roof.

forgot about mookie...wish he would get some PT

Great win. The key is going to be whether one of these guards can actually step up. Triche? Maybe Mookie? Someone is going to have to be a consistent scorer.

Loved what I've seen out of CJ Fair. I hope he gets more minutes. I wouldn't mind if they go smaller, with Fair, Joseph, and Jackson on the backline. Fair can jump through the roof.

I like Fair's game too - he's got some Josh Pace in him. Scoop I think is always going to be a rich man's Devandorf (minus the awful antics) - good at keeping both teams in the game, but as stale as our halfcourt offense is at times you just have to live with it. I don't know who to compare Keita to because he's the sort of big that never goes to SU - unselfish, good defender, good passer - I like.

Say what you want about Mich St but they did just play Duke to basically a push on their floor. Good win, I was surprised after what I saw vs. NC St.

I like Fair's game too - he's got some Josh Pace in him. Scoop I think is always going to be a rich man's Devandorf (minus the awful antics) - good at keeping both teams in the game, but as stale as our halfcourt offense is at times you just have to live with it. I don't know who to compare Keita to because he's the sort of big that never goes to SU - unselfish, good defender, good passer - I like.

Say what you want about Mich St but they did just play Duke to basically a push on their floor. Good win, I was surprised after what I saw vs. NC St.

haha; good point about Keita. He should have gone to UConn. If he can develop any semblance of an offensive game (even cleaning up around the hoop), in about 2-3 years, the guy will be like Josh Boone was at UConn.

One other thing: uh, Rick Jackson? Wow. Plus, if he could make that baby hook with any consistency, he could score 25 every night.

Yah Jackson was a beast. Sometimes he'll have games like that (the Florida game early last year?). Can't expect him to grab 16 boards every game, but it looks like he's primed to be a more consistent player this year - we'll need it to be an Elite 8 type of team.

• 2 weeks later...

No comments about cuse the last couple of weeks?? Seems like they are hitting their stride and fattening up on the sisters of the poor. Waiters looks more acclimated while Fair has backed off a bit. Boeheim seems slightly more confident with Melo but it still looks like he trusts Keita more. This was supposed to be Joseph's team but Scoop & jackson have really taken over. Nice to see contributions from Sourherland and Mookie.

JB said Iona was the real deal--probably a tourney team--and Drexel probably is, as well-- so I wouldn't discount some of these wins.

Nice to see Southerland getting some minutes and making the most of them. If he continues to play well, it will be an interesting dilemma on PT-- fewer minutes for Fair, would be my guess.

This team is still tough to get a read on. I'll read some of the comments in the PS stories, and half the people think we won't finish .500 in BE and the other half think this is a Final Four team. I guess BE play will tell us what kind of team we are.

JB said Iona was the real deal--probably a tourney team--and Drexel probably is, as well-- so I wouldn't discount some of these wins.

Yeah, an it's not like it's in JB's interest to say that the teams SU are beating are good (assuming the Orange beat Drexel). <_<

I guess BE play will tell us what kind of team we are.

Yes. The Orange don't play on an opponent's floor until 1/8 @ Seton Hall.

Hey, I'm a Drexel grad... so I'm completely biased. :D

The Dragons are doing what they need to do to win so far this season. Bruiser Flint has basically followed the Nolan Richardson "40 minutes of hell" approach to his defense for years. Dragons are 10th in the country in rebounds mostly because they're so physical. They have to be. Blue chip 2s, 3s, & 4s don't look at West Philly as they type of place to take their considerable talents. Drexel can catch some big schools with this tactic early in the year (see 2007: Syracuse, Villanova, Temple, Penn, St Joe's, Creighton), but they don't surprise the other CAA teams because they know it's coming. Drexel was picked to finish in the middle of the pack in the CAA this year and I'm thinking they probably will. VCU & James Madison look good again. George Mason always runs a quality squad out there, as does Old Dominion.

I root for Syracuse because I lived there for 2 years. But I'm always a bit embarrassed by the fact that JB doesn't challenge his kids with some tougher road games in December. I'm sure that he'd like to, but filling up all those seats in the Dome as many times as possible is an important consideration for a private school in CNY.

I don't think the Dragons will surprise anyone tomorrow, but they should keep it close. If the Orange blow them out of the building... well, I'm not sure what that will tell us. Maybe Louisville is overrated? Good thing they decide the champ on the court.