Bills making progress, look like a real team again

Chuckknox

This is how I"m feeling now too...was very frustrated earlier, but we usually play like crap in KC. That team is on the rise and they have some nice young talent. We did well to stay in the game and put ourselves in position to win it. Gailey almost gave his former boss a big boot up his arse to stew over.

Yeah, that's progress. They lost to a team that has gone 6-26 over the last two full seasons. Whoo -hoo!

If you can't see the progress this team has made on offense, I don't know what to tell you.

The pieces are there...still needs tweaking. But I never felt like at anytime that the Bills ever gave up which is heartening to see from a fans perspective. I really like the way Ryan Fitzpatrick is leading this offense. I wouldn't really call this season a total wash even at 0-7. realistically the Bills should be 2-5 right now as close as the last 2 games have been. I think/believe that this team is on the cusp of breaking out and winning some games. Like everything there will be some growing pains. But the Bills will get there.

The pieces are there...still needs tweaking. But I never felt like at anytime that the Bills ever gave up which is heartening to see from a fans perspective. I really like the way Ryan Fitzpatrick is leading this offense. I wouldn't really call this season a total wash even at 0-7. realistically the Bills should be 2-5 right now as close as the last 2 games have been. I think/believe that this team is on the cusp of breaking out and winning some games. Like everything there will be some growing pains. But the Bills will get there.

It doesn't matter what the record is if we're able to discover/develop some of our younger players before the end of the season. Stevie is turning into a pretty damn good WR. Moats has shown some flashes with regard to his pass rushing abilities. We need to get some of our younger guys more playing time to see who will rise up and be our future. KC has a TON of younger players who are really shining. We probably have some more guys on the roster who will also come into their own with more experience. We need to give them the opportunity.

It doesn't matter what the record is if we're able to discover/develop some of our younger players before the end of the season. Stevie is turning into a pretty damn good WR. Moats has shown some flashes with regard to his pass rushing abilities. We need to get some of our younger guys more playing time to see who will rise up and be our future. KC has a TON of younger players who are really shining. We probably have some more guys on the roster who will also come into their own with more experience. We need to give them the opportunity.

I agree that our younger talent needs more playing time..absolutely. And that the talent does need to be developed, No disagreeing there, Even though the Bills lost i was encouraged by what I saw from the younger guys.

I have to agree with Don Banks (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/don_banks/10/31/snap.judgments/1.html#ixzz13zVNHnad)

"The best thing I can say about the Bills is they're maybe the finest winless team I've seen in quite some time. Buffalo is 0-7, but it plays almost everyone tough. The Bills made the first-place Chiefs work almost five quarters for that 13-10 overtime win in Kansas City, and that was after Buffalo lost by three points in overtime last week at Baltimore. Chan Gailey's guys haven't quit, like the Wade Phillips-coached Cowboys. The Bills have lost at home by five points to Miami, and by just eight points at New England. And where it not for that well-timed Todd Haley timeout call on Rian Lindell's 53-yard field goal try in overtime, Buffalo would have finally had a victory to show for all of its efforts."

We took two potential playoff teams to OT in their house two weeks in a row. They need to keep this up and pull off a win or two in the next three very winnable games for this effort not to be wasted, but I feel pretty good with this coaching staff and the talent that's starting to rise to the surface.

I have to agree with Don Banks (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/don_banks/10/31/snap.judgments/1.html#ixzz13zVNHnad)

"The best thing I can say about the Bills is they're maybe the finest winless team I've seen in quite some time. Buffalo is 0-7, but it plays almost everyone tough. The Bills made the first-place Chiefs work almost five quarters for that 13-10 overtime win in Kansas City, and that was after Buffalo lost by three points in overtime last week at Baltimore. Chan Gailey's guys haven't quit, like the Wade Phillips-coached Cowboys. The Bills have lost at home by five points to Miami, and by just eight points at New England. And where it not for that well-timed Todd Haley timeout call on Rian Lindell's 53-yard field goal try in overtime, Buffalo would have finally had a victory to show for all of its efforts."

We took two potential playoff teams to OT in their house two weeks in a row. They need to keep this up and pull off a win or two in the next three very winnable games for this effort not to be wasted, but I feel pretty good with this coaching staff and the talent that's starting to rise to the surface.

Couldn't have said that any better!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hope they do better with the next three winnable games, then they did with the last two or three or four winnable games they played.

Hard fought game on the road. Team is starting to grow and show

Yes, it was a hard fought game on the road, and I agree some of this team is starting to grow and show. But did you really include the line; "Defense even looked OK" in your thread title? :doh::w00t:

Listen, this defense is quite possibly the very worst in the history of the Buffalo Bills, and they were on pace to become the worst defense in the history of the NFL until they finally allowed less then 34 points against yesterday. Oh that's why you think it looked "OK", because they only gave up 13 points.

The front 7 is, in my humble opinion, the worst front 7 in Bills history, hands down. No contest. Week after week, back after back (and in some cases two backs on the same team) roll past 100 yards rushing like they are practicing in shorts against hand dummies. I have never seen anything like this. All 7 guys will get faked out of their shorts on a simple counter play. All four DE's and OLB's will get blown off the ball on outside running plays, to either side, outside run after outside run. Do you watch the same games I do? This defense is pathetic against the run, and not a single one can cover a tight end to save their lives.

Sure they only gave up 13 points, but that is as much a case of Charlie Weiss calling a stupid game plan as much as the Bills holding on a few 3rd downs during the game. No way should Cassel have thrown more then maybe 5 passes the entire game. Plus Cassel had a bad game when he did throw the ball. Very stupid of him, he didn't start throwing to his wide open tight ends until the last drive that set up his winning field goal. Of course, as usual, those long completions to rookie tight end "Joe Nobody" was enough to win the game for them anyway. :bag::oops::doh:

Yes, it was a hard fought game on the road, and I agree some of this team is starting to grow and show. But did you really include the line; "Defense even looked OK" in your thread title? :doh::w00t:

Listen, this defense is quite possibly the very worst in the history of the Buffalo Bills, and they were on pace to become the worst defense in the history of the NFL until they finally allowed less then 34 points against yesterday. Oh that's why you think it looked "OK", because they only gave up 13 points.

The front 7 is, in my humble opinion, the worst front 7 in Bills history, hands down. No contest. Week after week, back after back (and in some cases two backs on the same team) roll past 100 yards rushing like they are practicing in shorts against hand dummies. I have never seen anything like this. All 7 guys will get faked out of their shorts on a simple counter play. All four DE's and OLB's will get blown off the ball on outside running plays, to either side, outside run after outside run. Do you watch the same games I do? This defense is pathetic against the run, and not a single one can cover a tight end to save their lives.

Sure they only gave up 13 points, but that is as much a case of Charlie Weiss calling a stupid game plan as much as the Bills holding on a few 3rd downs during the game. No way should Cassel have thrown more then maybe 5 passes the entire game. Plus Cassel had a bad game when he did throw the ball. Very stupid of him, he didn't start throwing to his wide open tight ends until the last drive that set up his winning field goal. Of course, as usual, those long completions to rookie tight end "Joe Nobody" was enough to win the game for them anyway. :bag::oops::doh:

Maybe the OP was making the point that only giving up 13 pts is an improvement for this year, but this defense has not been able to contain any opposing TEs and the inability to stop the run goes all the way back to when Pat Williams went to the Vikes.

I was impressed, I thought the Bills played very tough today. They showed a lot of heart.

Still staring straight down the barrel of 0 - 16 though. Bears are coming off a bye week and will be fresh. The canadians will sit on their hands again. Not looking good for a win this week. Julius Peppers will send Cordero Howard into the afterlife in this game.

If 0-7 is progress, I can hardly wait to see the end result.

At least we only have 9 more games left until we draft Spritzy's replacement.

Did you watch any second of the last 2 games?

Yeah, we're 0-7. Yes, Fitzpatrick may not be the QB of the future. Yes, the season is pretty much over. But have a little perspective...the Bills were widely considered the worst team in the league about 3 weeks ago. They had given up on every play. Now at least they're showing some fight.

Records mean nothing right now. The Bills aren't going anywhere this year, so we might as well be proud of the guys on the field who are busting their ass on every down.

Edited by BuffaloWings

If 0-7 is progress, I can hardly wait to see the end result.

At least we only have 9 more games left until we draft Spritzy's replacement.

Lots of worse problems on theis team than QB play....LB's Defense line, O line....offense QB ply is the only area that looks substantially better than last year's effort. Not sure they draft a QB at all.

And they are unanimously considered the worst team in the league today. Such improvement!

Improvement is playing KC and B'more and providing a competitive challenge as well as an entertaining game. If the game is enjoyable to watch, what would be the big difference between 2-5 or 0-7? Either way you are not talking playoffs so all you can hope for are glimmers of hope for next season and some entertaining football.

This season is basically a "lets see who we have" season. We are discovering a few bright spots, and getting an idea of who will be replaced. I like the way we've played the last couple weeks on the road against good teams.

I'm not happy about possibly going winless this year... but it might be necessary to have a couple bad years before we get good again.

This team played horribly for most of the day. The defense still can't stop the run at all. The offense was sporadic and Fitzpatrick was inconsistent with his throws all day. Trying hard is not good enough. You have to play well in order to win games in the NFL. This team has not shown that it can play well for an entire football game all year and that is why they are 0-7. I was flabergasted at the opportunities this team had to win that game and they couldn't take advantage of any of them. Pathetic. I love the Bills as much as anyone and I was devastated when they lost this game, but this team is horrible.

If you can't see the progress this team has made on offense, I don't know what to tell you.

I guess you are much easier to impress than I am. The only stat that matters is wins and losses.

I predicted that the offense would improve this year and I also predicted that the team would have a worse record.

If your happy with the team's progress then who am I to complain? I'm not satisfied with pyrrhic victories. The Bills are 0-7 - that's not progress where I come from.

I agree with you. The offense has showed steady improvement and with a good draft next year should be in good shape. The defense though is still a huge concern for me. I think it's going to take more than just one draft to get this defense whare it needs to be because the front seven is weak with just a few exceptions like Kyle Williams and maybe Poz the rest could use a upgrade.

I guess you are much easier to impress than I am. The only stat that matters is wins and losses.

I predicted that the offense would improve this year and I also predicted that the team would have a worse record.

If your happy with the team's progress then who am I to complain? I'm not satisfied with pyrrhic victories. The Bills are 0-7 - that's not progress where I come from.

Yep, my focus is entirely different. Wins and losses mean very little to me this season. That doesn't mean I didn't want them to win yesterday, cause I did. But I'm more concerned with getting the younger guys time to develop, figuring out which old guys dont need to be here anymore, and getting this first rebuilding year of the Nix/Gailey regime behind us so that we can focus on year number two when the evidence of improvement should be much clearer. But yeah, I'm thrilled we got rid of trent. I'm thrilled that Stevie is turning into a player. I'm really happy to see that Bell is potentially a half decent LT and we may just need to find a new R OT. I'm thrilled that E.Wood is back playing and getting his strength and endurance back. And I'm really excited to be able to be set with a nice group of young skill players on offense so that we can focus on getting some solid players in here on the other side of the ball. I don't really care if they win 2 games, or 5 games or whatever. We're not going to be champions this year. In lieu of that, I'm very happy with being competitive, which is what theyv'e been recently, and against good teams. I have my moments of doom and gloom, but I'm going to keep looking at the bright side and keep hoping that this ship will be righted. I will give Nix and Gailey some time to get things fixed, and as of today they have not been in charge long enough for me to start becoming pessimistic. I fell into that a bit during the first few games of the season, but I'm better now. They're playing with effort and the young guys are improving. I'm happy about that.