Which College QBs Are You Tracking?

yungmack

I think we all know the big names out there so I'm more interested in who other than the Lucks, Lockers, etc you guys think should be in the discussion. I'd also like to know your opinions on guys likely to not come out until after the 2011 season.

I think we all know the big names out there so I'm more interested in who other than the Lucks, Lockers, etc you guys think should be in the discussion. I'd also like to know your opinions on guys likely to not come out until after the 2011 season.

I'm really trying to not be flip here, but I will answer the question honestly: none. Meaning, I'm tracking them, if that's what you're asking, but from what I have seen so far I don't see any top five picks. The top one I've seen is Mallett, but then again he's not mobile enough for my taste. I know a lot of people are impressed with Luck, but to me he is on par with Ponder at the next level. First rounder and probable NFL starter, but not someone any better than Claussen or the bunch of QBs that came out last year. Locker is sort of like Snead. Lots of pub but not worth picking. There are a host of athletic QBs that are worth a look in the later rounds like Jerrod Johnson and Tyrod Taylor but we are talking about round 5 +

I'll tell you the guy that really impresses me every time I see him play: Tate Forcier. But he's not even a starter in college anymore. Of course, neither was Tom Brady (same school too).

Our Big Board has them in this order this week. I was disappointed in Ponder last night but I think he's got to be in the discussion.

QB's

1. Andrew Luck

2. Jake Locker

3. Ryan Mallett

4. Christian Ponder--I like his temperament but the NC State game left me disillusioned. Still 4th for me, too.

5. Nick Foles----Has more great games than craaaaap games. He'd be a good 2nd round pickup.

6. Pat Devlin--Has been moving up draft boards but I think 6th is where he'll end up. RD 2-3.

7. Colin Kaepernick---Steady guy. I'm interested in following the next couple of weeks.

8. Blaine Gabbert---I keep thinking Drew Bledsoe when I see him. Good pocket passer, needs an OLine. Do we have one?

9. Cameron Newton---Stock continues to go up; will he be Top 5 by January? Best mobile passer in college, great runs.

10. Ricky Stanzi---I think he'll be Top 7.

11. Nathan Enderle---Can I get excited about the Idaho Vandals QB with victories over Bowling Green? Uh.....no.

12. Brandon Weeden---OSU older guy (Yankees prospect) has mentor in Graham Harrell. I like his patience and skillset.

13. T.J. Yates

14. Terrelle Pryor---Don't compare him to Vince Young. He's far more inaccurate. Likely #16-17 before bowls start.

15. Andy Dalton

16. Greg McElroy----I think he has a lot of potential, and wouldn't be surprised if he's top 10 by April.

17. Jerrod Johnson---I think he's a better mobile QB than Terrelle Pryor. Not a start-quick NFL prospect tho.

18. Adam Froman, Sr.

19. Mike Hartline, Sr.

20. Ben Chappelle, Sr.

JUNIORS:

Matt Scott, Jr., Arizona

Kellen Moore, Jr.

Ryan Lindley, Jr.

Kirk Cousins, Jr

Kevin Riley Sr.,

Dan Persa Sr.

Steven Threet, Jr.

Scott Tolzien, Sr

Adam Weber, Sr.

Dominique Davis, Jr

Tyrod Taylor, Sr

Our Big Board has them in this order this week. I was disappointed in Ponder last night but I think he's got to be in the discussion.

QB's

1. Andrew Luck

2. Jake Locker

3. Ryan Mallett

4. Christian Ponder--I like his temperament but the NC State game left me disillusioned. Still 4th for me, too.

5. Nick Foles----Has more great games than craaaaap games. He'd be a good 2nd round pickup.

6. Pat Devlin--Has been moving up draft boards but I think 6th is where he'll end up. RD 2-3.

7. Colin Kaepernick---Steady guy. I'm interested in following the next couple of weeks.

8. Blaine Gabbert---I keep thinking Drew Bledsoe when I see him. Good pocket passer, needs an OLine. Do we have one?

9. Cameron Newton---Stock continues to go up; will he be Top 5 by January? Best mobile passer in college, great runs.

11. Nathan Enderle---Can I get excited about the Idaho Vandals QB with victories over Bowling Green? Uh.....no.

12. Brandon Weeden---OSU older guy (Yankees prospect) has mentor in Graham Harrell. I like his patience and skillset.

13. T.J. Yates

14. Terrelle Pryor---Don't compare him to Vince Young. He's far more inaccurate. Likely #16-17 before bowls start.

15. Andy Dalton

16. Greg McElroy----I think he has a lot of potential, and wouldn't be surprised if he's top 10 by April.

17. Jerrod Johnson---I think he's a better mobile QB than Terrelle Pryor. Not a start-quick NFL prospect tho.

18. Adam Froman, Sr.

19. Mike Hartline, Sr.

20. Ben Chappelle, Sr.

JUNIORS:

Matt Scott, Jr., Arizona

Kellen Moore, Jr.

Ryan Lindley, Jr.

Kirk Cousins, Jr

Kevin Riley Sr.,

Dan Persa Sr.

Steven Threet, Jr.

Scott Tolzien, Sr

Adam Weber, Sr.

Dominique Davis, Jr

Tyrod Taylor, Sr

Whoa! That was a great post. One question: Do you have an opinion on Matt Barkley of USC?

QB's

1. Andrew Luck

2. Jake Locker

3. Ryan Mallett

8. Blaine Gabbert---I keep thinking Drew Bledsoe when I see him. Good pocket passer, needs an OLine. :huh: Do we have one?

13. T.J. Yates

15. Andy Dalton

18. Adam Froman, Sr.

19. Mike Hartline, Sr.

20. Ben Chappelle, Sr.

JUNIORS:

Matt Scott, Jr., Arizona

Kellen Moore, Jr.

Ryan Lindley, Jr.

Kirk Cousins, Jr

Kevin Riley Sr.,

Dan Persa Sr.

Steven Threet, Jr.

Scott Tolzien, Sr

Adam Weber, Sr.

Dominique Davis, Jr

Tyrod Taylor, Sr

Astro,

You do realize Blaine will probably clock somewhere in the 4.5 to 4.6 range and is extremely mobile for his size. He played on a bad wheel last year so that limited him a little. If anything he's not the greatest pocket passer as he doesn't always set his feet like he should. He's improving in that area each game but he is still a little too unpolished to come out after this year IMO. He is def. not like Bledsoe, he moves extremely well for someone his size. He could run a 100 yard dash before Drew would finish the 40.

I am watching Ricky Stanzi from Iowa every chance I get. I am sold on him. 4 years as a starter and is something 28-6. He plays with a good pocket presence and can make all of the throws. He is a big guy at 6-4, not sure on the weight, though he does look skinny. I am really reminded on Matt Ryan when he was coming out of BC. I remember watching him and saying that he was an NFL Qb no doubt. I get the same feeling when watching Stanzi. He doesnt get the media attention, but I think he is a guy worth taking in the middle rounds (4-6). I think that we have other needs to address before Rd 4. Qb is a need, even with Fitz's play. If he can keep it up, he is only 27, but Stanzi and Levi Brown could be more than service-able back-ups with potential to play in this league if we don't keep Fitz in the B-Lo for 10 years.

I am watching Ricky Stanzi from Iowa every chance I get. I am sold on him. 4 years as a starter and is something 28-6. He plays with a good pocket presence and can make all of the throws. He is a big guy at 6-4, not sure on the weight, though he does look skinny. I am really reminded on Matt Ryan when he was coming out of BC. I remember watching him and saying that he was an NFL Qb no doubt. I get the same feeling when watching Stanzi. He doesnt get the media attention, but I think he is a guy worth taking in the middle rounds (4-6). I think that we have other needs to address before Rd 4. Qb is a need, even with Fitz's play. If he can keep it up, he is only 27, but Stanzi and Levi Brown could be more than service-able back-ups with potential to play in this league if we don't keep Fitz in the B-Lo for 10 years.

Agreed. Good mobility and decent enough arm. Good leadership as well from what I've seen.

after the "big 3" luck/locker/mallet i'm also trying to follow Ponder / Mcelroy / Newton

all 6 QB's are interesting and i havent made a firm opinion on any of them just yet.

if i was buddy nix and i had to decide between the 6 of them right this very second, i would have to lean towards luck (if he declares) or Mallet. But thats not to say i will have the same opinion in 2 weeks or in Jan.....

just my .02 cents

I agree on Foles in Round 2.

I think Foles has the potential to be one of the better ones. His 2010 season has been so-so, thus, I can imagine him going back for his senior year. If the Bill's pass on a QB this year and (if football is played in 2011) win more games than the #1 pick allows, he's someone I can see coming/being available to the Bills.

Barkley reminds me (I will get killed for this most likely) of a young Brees. Not big, 6'2" and a solid, not crazy arm. But he just gets the position it seems. I've been fortunate to watch a lot of his games and its been enjoyable, especially this year after he rebounded from a bumpy finish to last season. I'm especially impressed w/ how well he's done in a new system. It speaks well for his football IQ considering most elite programs don't have their prized QB prospects change head coaches/systems/schemes.

Random stuff...Cam Newton

SI article

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1176386/index.htm

Article on Cam from an LSU sports writer....

Fighting a Bonfire with a Water Pistol

>

>By Scooter Hobbs

>

>AUBURN, Ala. - Memo to: The Downtown Athletic Club, New York, N.Y.

>Re: Heisman Trophy.

>

>Sirs, is it OK if I go ahead and mail my Heisman Trophy ballot in now.

>Avoid the Christmas card rush.

>There is really little reason to wait at this point. So mark me down

>for Cameron Newton, quarterback, Auburn.

>

>Fill in No. 2 and No. 3 any old way you please. It doesn't really

>matter. It's Cam Newton's world, his college football season, and the

>rest are just living in it. Newton's 24-17 victory over LSU was just

>the latest evidence. LSU should feel fortunate. Newton - well, Auburn,

>but mostly Newton - hung 65 points on Arkansas last week.

>Ole Miss, I'd suggest taking cover in The Grove before this thing

>ransacks your campus next week. If the NFL doesn't find something for

>him to do next year and get him to come out a year early, the rest of

>the Southeastern Conference may be in deep trouble. Maybe even Nick

>Saban himself.

>

>LSU's defense, strong and swift, was supposed to be the league's best

>shot at stopping this terror. And it was a mismatch. I saw four years

>of Tim Tebow and, to be honest, now I'm beginning to wonder what all

>the fuss was about with him. Cam Newton, the pride of Blinn Junior

>College after he was banished from the Tebow kingdom in Gainesville two

>years ago, might just lay waste to the entire college landscape. "Plain

>and simple, he's the best quarterback in the country," said LSU

>linebacker Kelvin Sheppard.

>

>He's something all right. I'm not sure it's a quarterback, but he's

>something else. Like Tebow, Newton is really more of a new-fangled,

>unique offensive weapon than an honest quarterback. Tebow pestered you

>to death. Newton just went nuclear on what used to known as a really

>good LSU defense. Newton ran for 217 yards, including bolts of 49 and

>29, and the most impressive run of the lot might have been the 6-yard

>loss LSU finally sacked him with. It came after just about every Tiger

>in uniform and a few hefty tuba players took a shot at him before

>finally wrestling him down by a shoestring. He also threw for 86 yards

>although, frankly, I don't remember any of them and I really wonder why

>Auburn would risk another forward pass as long as he's on campus.

>

>Contrary to rumor, Auburn is not a one-man team. Far as I know, Newton

>had little to do with bottling up LSU's own, more conventional running

>game. And the next time LSU blocks Auburn defensive end Nick Fairley

>will be the first. Many mortals have managed that, however. Take a

>number and be seated. But this Newton horse is the closest thing to a

>one-man offense I can recall seeing.

>And I saw Tebow - hereafter known as Newton Light - throw the silly

>little jump pass and all that other cute stuff. Tebow was a role player

>compared to this freak show. It didn't seem fair, kind of like when an

>eighth-grader sneaks out to join third-graders' recess games. That's

>what it looked liked, to be honest.

>

>I'm sure the lads that Auburn gathers around Newton are fine citizens

>and play their hearts out. And it surely helps to have the luxury of

>four seniors on an offensive line. But let's be honest.

>They and the rest of the War Eagles are just tagging along for this

>wild ride. They pat him on the rear a lot - those, that is, that can

>reach a 6-foot-6 caboose. Yes, even Onterio McCalebb, who scored the

>winning touchdown on a 70-yard run and finished with 84 yards -

>nine-tenths of which should be direct-deposited into Newton's account.

>LSU just about ignored him until he was in the end zone, convinced the

>key had to be Newton. Hard to blame them. McCalebb and the rest might

>all as well sit in the student section, which Newton also attended to

>with a wide smile after his demolition of LSU was over. In fact, his

>most athletic move might have been the leap atop the stadium

>restraining wall to join his civilian classmates in celebration.

>

>He looks to a be pretty fair song-leader as well. By the way, Jordan

>Jefferson, also a loosely defined quarterback, was LSU's leading

>rusher, and without his legs the Tigers wouldn't have had an offense

>either. He did his best, played hard without a lot of help, certainly

>not from his wide receivers.

>

>But he's no Cam Newton.

>

>And once the game turned into single-warrior combat, LSU was fighting a

>bonfire with a water pistol.

I don't really watch all that much college football. But from what I've seen, the kid that impressed me the most is Kellen Moore. I understand he's only a junior, but the kid can make all the throws. Long, short, back shoulder. I've seen Locker play quite a bit because his games are always on here. Sometimes I think he looks good and more often though I think not.

Colin Kaepernick

watch the whole thing.

youtube.com/watch?v=Q75c434E82g

Just watched it. I counted five pass plays, including four completions, and a play that should have been a completion. There were a lot more running plays than passing plays! Kaepernick looked competent on those passing plays. Four out of the five passes looked fairly standard-issue, with the only "special" pass coming on the play where the defender knocked the ball away after it had been caught. (Thereby causing the incompletion.) It looked to me like their offense was run-oriented; and I didn't see much indication of Kapernick making multiple reads. Possibly the Bills could take him later in the draft, but would he really be an upgrade over Brohm or Levi Brown?