Notre Dame student falls from tower recording football team for practi

boyst

Article

Notre Dame student was hired to film practices. He was recording practices in 60mph winds when the tower collapsed and kill him. It's eerie to see his facebook messages, 'Gust of wind up to 60mph well today will be fun at work... I guess I've lived long enough :-/,' and 'Holy f*ck holy f*ck this is terrifying,' he wrote.

I have seen these towers at OSU while visiting the campus years ago, they are freakishly scarey! Coach Kelly looks like a pretty big d-bag in this, and I get so tired of people making comments like these after they probably barely knew the person.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sincerely hope the coaching staff is held responsible for this poor kid's death. Declan Sullivan, RIP.

The storm in the midwest produced the lowest barometric pressures ever recorded in the continental US. The day before, Notre Dame practiced indoors, which Coach Kelly absolutely despises. Yesterday, he wanted to practice outdoors in 50-60mph wind gusts. Anybody in the midwest yesterday knows it was unsafe to even walk outdoors, much less go up on a scissor lift. The manufacturer states that wind gusts over 25mph are unsafe conditions to be on the lift.

Predictably (unless you work at ND) the scissor lift was blown over, smashed through a fence that surrounds the practice field, and crashed into the street. The 20-year old ND student was rushed to the hospital, where he later died.

Even more haunting is Declan Sullivan's two tweets, one before practice and one during practice. Check the deadspin link:

http://deadspin.com/5675694/prelude-to-a-tragedy-how-a-notre-dame-student-died-and-why-he-shouldnt-have

Very sad, very irresponsible by the university and the coaching staff. The coaches should be watching tape of the Navy game, not of their backup redshirt QB throwing in a practice drill in 50mph winds.

Completely unnecessary death, and easy to prevent. Shame on Brian Kelly, and ND athletics.

Edited by LongLiveRalph

Brainless move by Kelly even holding practice outdoors...but I assume I'm in a very small minority holding the kid responsible as well for not saying "!@#$ you, I'm not going up in that thing in this wind" and walking away?

Half of me is in that minority, too. Although it was stupid of him to go up there in the first place, I can empathize with the kid wanting to keep his job. Odds are he would have been fired if he had told his d-bag boss to !@#$ off.

Brainless move by Kelly even holding practice outdoors...but I assume I'm in a very small minority holding the kid responsible as well for not saying "!@#$ you, I'm not going up in that thing in this wind" and walking away?

I agree with you. While I believe he shouldn't have been put in that position to begin with, I also believe there comes a point when one has to be accountable for his own safety.

Very sad, very irresponsible by the university and the coaching staff. The coaches should be watching tape of the Navy game, not of their backup redshirt QB throwing in a practice drill in 50mph winds.

Completely unnecessary death, and easy to prevent. Shame on Brian Kelly, and ND athletics.

Terrible story, how sad for this kid and his family. I'm curious to know who is responsible for non-player involvement in the program. Kelly would have been focusing on the players, but clearly he or someone should have made sure this kid wasn't putting himself in that kind of position.

I'm assuming he's Catholic, so like a good Catholic lemming he has to follow their orders.

:unsure:

Is this just a really poor attempt at sarcasm or are you just that much of a classless POS?

Read the one article. It doesn't say anywhere that I can see that he was ordered to go up there.

I agree with the statements that he still chose to go up. As a college kid he probably saw thrill in it in some ways. The job to film the team is probably an honor that you earn and he did not want to let the team down. Still, that no authority noticed the issue of the kid climbing the tower makes the school responsible. Is Kelly personally responsible? I believe yes, as a head coach he should know what is going on with every part of his team. To have put the team at risk outside is an issue, too. Imagine if it would have landed on some of the team?!

I agree with the statements that he still chose to go up. As a college kid he probably saw thrill in it in some ways. The job to film the team is probably an honor that you earn and he did not want to let the team down. Still, that no authority noticed the issue of the kid climbing the tower makes the school responsible. Is Kelly personally responsible? I believe yes, as a head coach he should know what is going on with every part of his team. To have put the team at risk outside is an issue, too. Imagine if it would have landed on some of the team?!

I agree with you in general terms. Ultimately, some authority should have known that he always goes up there and stop him. I'm just thinking that maybe the head coach, busy with the team, just wasn't thinking about something as relatively mundane and in the background as the kid filming practice. I'm not trying to be a dick but you would think that the kid would have gone up to the coach and said he felt nervous about going up there. I know I would be. Now if the kid did approach the coaching staff about it and they ordered him up there then that really is bad. I guess either way the school is going to be held accountable I'm sure.

I'm with you, but I got to wonder if he walked away, would someone else be sent up?

... you would think that the kid would have gone up to the coach and said he felt nervous about going up there

I'm with you, but I got to wonder if he walked away, would someone else be sent up?

That's just it, how do you approach a coach when you're so distant from what is actually going on and they'd have just found someone else.

Article

Notre Dame student was hired to film practices. He was recording practices in 60mph winds when the tower collapsed and kill him. It's eerie to see his facebook messages, 'Gust of wind up to 60mph well today will be fun at work... I guess I've lived long enough :-/,' and 'Holy f*ck holy f*ck this is terrifying,' he wrote.I have seen these towers at OSU while visiting the campus years ago, they are freakishly scarey! Coach Kelly looks like a pretty big d-bag in this, and I get so tired of people making comments like these after they probably barely knew the person.

Maybe he should have paid more attention to his situation instead of concentrating on sending messages.

Maybe he should have paid more attention to his situation instead of concentrating on sending messages.

Yeah, this guy posting messages on twitter an hour before his death caused the winds that blew over the scissor lift. Classy post.

And yes, he should have refused to go up there, but he's 20 years old for god's sake and in college. I'm going to bet he needed the money, and knew he'd be fired if he didn't do it.

Not saying its so, but maybe the last one never got sent.

Dude, stop being an !@#$. There's a reason why scissor lifts aren't supposed to be used in winds that high, and to do so is a safety violation.

Yeah, this guy posting messages on twitter an hour before his death caused the winds that blew over the scissor lift. Classy post.

And yes, he should have refused to go up there, but he's 20 years old for god's sake and in college. I'm going to bet he needed the money, and knew he'd be fired if he didn't do it.

How can anyones head be so fabulously dense? Did I say he caused the wind? Since he wrote "Holy f**k this is terifying" I would say the wind was already blowing, and he was aware his life was in danger, as he was posting.You do as you please, if I feel I am in a life threating situation I am going to give 100% attention to my surroundings, rather then texting about it.

Edited by Jim in Anchorage

Unless futher details come out, I don't see how anyone can blame Kelly for this. In a major program like ND, there would be at least a dozen people in between Kelly and this kid filming practices. Even that doesn't really capture the truth of it, Kelly would basically have nothing to do with this at all. As they head coach, you can say that he has overall responsibility, which he probably accepts, but it would be like saying Bill Gates has responsiblity for a Microsoft call center in India.