Draft status?

Ok,

I have seen this on here week after week. About how losing the game is better then winning because the Bills are not going to the playoffs.

Now these posters are the same ones who rip management for poor drafts. So does this honestly make any sense?

How has haveing the top pick or in the top 5 for years been for Detroit? Because you pick first gaurantees nothing. Yesterday, Stevie Johnson(7th rd) had the best day of any player on the field. Ok maybe Fitz, but he again was a later round pick.

Sorry but winning and losing is a culture. You expect it. Other teams look at you differently. You can have a mental edge if you are known for being a winner.

This team is filled with a bunch of young guys. Guys who were barely alive back in the glory days of this franchise. They need to start makeing their own winning tradition. The Ravens had a very up and down campaign in 1999, but finished strong. I read that a lot of guys on the Ravens used that as motivation and belief for the 2000 Super Bowl team.

Any coach will tell you that a team has to start believing they can and deserve to win, before they will.

So sorry to you 'fans' who are happy you might get the top pick. You stand apart from me.

oh and what happens if said player gets hurt on the first play of preseason? Then what? Hope for another terrible season?

I just want an elite-level quarterback, because I've noticed that the teams that have them are consistently competing for championships over the course of the decade that their QB plays.

I also think that the most common way to obtain one of those elite-level franchise quarterbacks is to select them with a very high draft pick.

I acknowledge that there are exceptions to both of those assertions, but I'd rather play the percentages.

And I'm not sure if you noticed it or not but detroit has a better record then us, with a big advantage in talent. That team is about to turn a corner. And yeah, its from drafting at the top of the draft for the past ten years. So sign me up for the number 1 pick and the high picks in every other round. Detroit and Buffalo are traveling down a similar path. Years of mismanagement, followed by a semblance of competence.

And I'm not sure if you noticed it or not but detroit has a better record then us, with a big advantage in talent. That team is about to turn a corner. And yeah, its from drafting at the top of the draft for the past ten years. So sign me up for the number 1 pick and the high picks in every other round. Detroit and Buffalo are traveling down a similar path. Years of mismanagement, followed by a semblance of competence.

Isn't Detroit 1-5? So one game better than us...in an inferior division no less.

Isn't Detroit 1-5? So one game better than us...in an inferior division no less.

but if you watch the play in those games - they are better, and doing it without stafford. They are a more talented team. Flip that johnson catch and they are 2-4, with a 3 pt loss to the eagles, a 2 pt loss to the packers and an 8 pt loss to the giants. Its not like they are getting killed by cream puffs. They are playing within a score against playoff contenders consistently. we did that one time and everyone thinks theres suddenly great hope..... but the team doing it consistently doesnt have anything on us.

Right now id take

stafford over fitz

best over jackson (spiller might be better long term)

their OL over ours

their WRs over ours (Megatron>>>>>Evans)

Their TEs over ours (pettigrew, and scheffler)

Their DL over ours (Suh, williams, vandenbosch)

There roster is more talented then ours is today. just because millen blew picks for a couple years in the top 5 doesnt mean the team isnt talented, or reaping the benefits of guys like stafford, suh, johnson

Sorry for the over-emphasis, but I hate this conversation. I can't think of any football player or coach or anyone connected to a team that has or will agree with "It's better to lose . . ." -- even behind closed doors.

You don't go from 0-16 to 16-0 in one big step. You GROW into a successful team. You learn to win. You walk, then you run, then you win. Going 2-14 means you're a better team than going 0-16. It means you're closer to going 11-5. Yes, you'll draft slightly lower, but the difference between the guy drafted #1 and the guy drafted #5 has more to do with the needs of the teams and their ability to make good use of their picks.

You can argue till you're blue about draft choices and scouting - etc.

On the field, it's win or lose. You guys know this. It's better to win. Winning breeds winning.

Edited by Sabre Bill

You make a valid point. It would seem that the higher our draft pick (mike williams/Aaron Maybin/Hardy vrs k williams/Mcgee/s johnson) the bigger the bust.

But that doesnt mean I am hoping the Bills get Luck in this draft, after all even blind mice can find the cheese once in a while. I am hoping that with the top pick they simply wont be able to miss.

Ok,

I have seen this on here week after week. About how losing the game is better then winning because the Bills are not going to the playoffs.

Now these posters are the same ones who rip management for poor drafts. So does this honestly make any sense?

How has haveing the top pick or in the top 5 for years been for Detroit? Because you pick first gaurantees nothing. Yesterday, Stevie Johnson(7th rd) had the best day of any player on the field. Ok maybe Fitz, but he again was a later round pick.

Sorry but winning and losing is a culture. You expect it. Other teams look at you differently. You can have a mental edge if you are known for being a winner.

This team is filled with a bunch of young guys. Guys who were barely alive back in the glory days of this franchise. They need to start makeing their own winning tradition. The Ravens had a very up and down campaign in 1999, but finished strong. I read that a lot of guys on the Ravens used that as motivation and belief for the 2000 Super Bowl team.

Any coach will tell you that a team has to start believing they can and deserve to win, before they will.

So sorry to you 'fans' who are happy you might get the top pick. You stand apart from me.

oh and what happens if said player gets hurt on the first play of preseason? Then what? Hope for another terrible season?

I think people are assuming we get the 1st pick just because we are so bad. But I think most bills fans want the team to win rather than status. This comes up every year at the end of the season with one or two people suggesting we should lose our last game just to get a higher draft pick.... those people are very few. Most fans want to win games.

It's better to lose. But let's say hypothetically Fitz is a good QB and there are no great QBs that will become available in the draft in 2011. Then it becomes better to win.

dont understand are you trying to say there are not going to be any great QB prospects in the 2011 draft because for a long time now all i have read is that this is the year to get your QB and they are comparing this crop of young OB's to the 1983 draft.

so what are you trying to say?

i know one thing if luck comes out (and IMO he will) there is no doubt in my mind that the bills will take him if we own the #1 pick. there is also no doubt in my mind that he will be our starer from game one the kid is incredible and a lot of people are saying he is the best prospect to come out in 10 years.

look i dont hate fitz i just know he is not a franchise QB by any stretch of the imagination. you would be hard pressed to find 5 teams in the NFL where he would have even the slightest chance of starting. the teams you would find are the teams with no QB @ all.

i want a great QB like manning or brady and if one is available this year i know the bills will take him.all these people who want Fitz as our starter for the future are IMO out of your freaking minds.

We will draft a potential franchise quarterback if we are fortunate enough to pick #1 overall. I wish it weren't so, but from a pragmatic standpoint, securing that selection is very important. All things being equal, of course winning trumps losing. But, I promise you that Indianapolis fans are quite happy today that they lost the clutch games they needed to lose to lock up Manning over Leaf, thus all things are not equal.

Edited by akm0404

dont understand are you trying to say

Exactly what I wrote. There is nothing to read between the lines. The benefit of losing is contingent on how strong the top of the draft is, and 1-15 is only a good thing if you get to draft a Manning, Ryan, or Bradford.

Also, to other responses, obviously the players and coaches should always try to win. But, sometimes, if they happen to lose in spite of trying to win, it becomes a good thing. Where would the Colts be if they didn't get the opportunity (by losing lots of games) to draft Manning in 1998? Perhaps still struggling as a franchise like they did throughout the 80s and most of the 90s. But I'm not sure whether this year qualifies for losing=good status, though. Depends on how good those college QBs are.

(P.S. Luck is staying in school)

dont understand are you trying to say there are not going to be any great QB prospects in the 2011 draft because for a long time now all i have read is that this is the year to get your QB and they are comparing this crop of young OB's to the 1983 draft.

i know one thing if luck comes out (and IMO he will) there is no doubt in my mind that the bills will take him if we own the #1 pick. there is also no doubt in my mind that he will be our starer from game one the kid is incredible and a lot of people are saying he is the best prospect to come out in 10 years.

look i dont hate fitz i just know he is not a franchise QB by any stretch of the imagination. you would be hard pressed to find 5 teams in the NFL where he would have even the slightest chance of starting. the teams you would find are the teams with no QB @ all.

i want a great QB like manning or brady and if one is available this year i know the bills will take him.all these people who want Fitz as our starter for the future are IMO out of your freaking minds.

if Fitzpatrick finishes the season playing like he did yesterday, and we blow a 1st round pick on a QB, then we are truly retarded....If he plays out the season playing like he did against Baltimore, then we take a pass rushing OLB'er period.

Edited by marsadale

if Fitzpatrick finishes the season playing like he did yesterday, and we blow a 1st round pick on a QB, then we are truly retarded....If he plays out the season playing like he did against Baltimore, then we take a pass rushing OLB'er period.

We did this drafting a RB in spiller after Jackson last year so noithing this team does is a surprise in regards to the draft. Better pray they don't take a DB in the second round!

We did this drafting a RB in spiller after Jackson last year so noithing this team does is a surprise in regards to the draft. Better pray they don't take a DB in the second round!

If they could find a way to extract Maybins head from his arse, we wouldnt need the olb, lol.