Pass Blocking Looked Good

The line did a pretty good job in pass protection today. They weren't blowing them off the ball consistently in the running game, but on the whole they performed much better they have recently.

What do you think was the difference? Just improved QB play, or some people stepping up, or different guys getting snaps or what?

The line did a pretty good job in pass protection today. They weren't blowing them off the ball consistently in the running game, but on the whole they performed much better they have recently.

What do you think was the difference? Just improved QB play, or some people stepping up, or different guys getting snaps or what?

I know the answer. The ravens did not take the bills seriously, so they where just not trying. They could have gotten 5 sacks, but they just wanted to rest for next week. Also the coaches took got a couple of days off because they thought, its only the bills. I guess since the bills got 500 yards on offense, it defiantly meant that the ravens were not trying. Fitz could not possibly have any skill right?

Better Gameplan and no Green. The Bills were also running the ball better combined with good play selection (Lots of screens and quick stuff to throw the pass rush off) and better QB and WR play equates to pass protection being better. Honestly it could also be the bye week, Wood and Bell last year had bad injuries to end the season getting some more recovery time couldn't have hurt.

I think there are a number of reasons.

1. Bell and Wood have been coming back from injury, as the season progresses you would expect them to get better.

2. Bell, Wood, Levitre were rookies/1st year starters last year and are more seasoned. With Bell, especially, the extra experience is vital. I would expect this element to continue to improve throughout the year and well into next.

3. The line (except for Howard) is getting more time together and beginning to gel.

4. NO GREEN!

5. WHen pass protection eventually breaks down Fitz is able to still make some plays rather than pathetic little check downs or a sack.

It seemed that the Ravens blitzed less than what we normally see. I don't know if this is fact or just a false impression I have.

They didn't blitz a lot (like the Jets) but they did try some. I think a few things kept it at bay even in the shotgun we had Mc Intire in motion on the line and blocking (nice move coach) and handed off in that formation a few times.

I thought the blitz was read much better by Fitz a few times when he saw it coming and got it out quick to his WRs. The O-line just played better, too. I like Howard a lot more than Green, he had help but man he is a large step above the 3 million dollar man. It was a good offensive gameplan and good execution, something we haven't seen in a while around here.

It seemed that the Ravens blitzed less than what we normally see. I don't know if this is fact or just a false impression I have.

They did try the blitz but were ineffective. In fact I think were made to pay, so they dropped the bliz later in the game and were maginally better.

When they did blitz the OL picked most of them up, plus put it on the fitz was craving them up when they did sent extra guys. A few times they got back there and if I'm not mistaken it resulted in a turnover. But what a gutsy performance!

I know the answer. The ravens did not take the bills seriously, so they where just not trying. They could have gotten 5 sacks, but they just wanted to rest for next week. Also the coaches took got a couple of days off because they thought, its only the bills. I guess since the bills got 500 yards on offense, it defiantly meant that the ravens were not trying. Fitz could not possibly have any skill right?

:lol::thumbsup:

Put it on another thread, but during the bye week I think the coaches worked with the o-linemen to keep their feet moving and give up more ground to stay in front of their assignment. In past games, seems like O-linemen stopped moving after they engaged their blocks and the pocket was wide and close to the line of scrimmage. Yesterday the pocket was narrower and the tackles dropped way off the line of scrimmage but didn't let their guy get by them. The o-line definitely seemed more mobile with their pass protection to me.

Competent QB play will make the line better.

Gumby's rule of thumb: Quarterbacking makes the line. The line does not make the quarterback.

Wow, Gumby's got two posts and already a rule of thumb. Nonetheless there is some truth to it. Good QB's make a line better but you still have to say our tackles kept some pretty fierce DE's and LB's off of Fitz. They line is much bett4er w/o Green. I've been saying all along, don't lose with veterans and folks who are not part of the plan. Play the kids and so far, they are developing.