Buffalo Free Agent Targets

silvermike

Take a look here: http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?option=All&y=2011

The site is not 100% up to date; it takes them a long time to process in-year extensions. But using this as a starting place, I think we've got a lot of good options:

QB: I'm not convinced there's anything there that would be better than Fitz (Kolb has since been extended; and Brady, Favre, and Manning obviously wont be on the open market). Shaun Hill has been playing interesting football, but I'd say we go #1 overall on Luck or else just keep Fitzpatrick in charge.

RB: Stay out of this pool, Buddy.

WR: The WR corps played extremely good football today, so I'm on a bit of a buzz for them. Beyond that, I think Legadu Naanee would be an interesting option in the #4 spot, but that's not a priority.

TE: Owen Daniels, and Zach Miller would be terrific acquisitions. Ignore Kellen Winslow and Vernon Davis; both have been extended.

OL: How old is Matt Light, anyway? He'd be a great veteran presence on the line here, though I'll bet he ends up a Chief. Ryan Kalil pushed Hangartener out before, maybe he could do it again, and past that, I'm sort of out of ideas here, though I don't know much about other teams' linemen.

DL: Richard Seymour might well hit the open market. Expect $10M/year if you want him. I'm not convinced it wouldn't be worth it. And if you like big money NTs, Haloti Ngata will be a free agent, unless the Ravens franchise him. That could be a $12M/year man. Past that, I think there's a lot of solid depth, if we're not getting anything from Carrington all year, etc. But I don't see a lot of solid starters who aren't going to break the bank.

LB: David Harris, Tamba Hali, Chad Greenway, Manny Lawson, Ben Leber, Kirk Morrison and LaMarr Woodley are all in contract years. A lot of them won't hit the market, but the Bills have a chance to really spend on a defensive leader this year.

DB: I think we can retain Florence and Whitner and keep this unit on back order for the season, but if we want to add to it, the talent out there seems mostly to be in the senior veteran category.

Owen Daniels would be a really nice grab. He hasn't been his best lately, but he would really be a positive for us and probably won't cost too much with him falling a bit.

Linebacker amd oline is something we really should be looking at. It is hard to judge FA now because a lot of these players are going to get resigned anyway.

Ngata would be the reverse Pat Williams.

What I mean by that is: we drafted and let Pat Williams go come contract time and all he did was go to Minnesota and make the Pro Bowl.

We miffed on Ngata, but if we signed him we could get the player we should have drafted and build around him.

Seymour and Light are too old, but I would break the bank on Ngata.

I like Owen Daniels, as well.

Ngata and Daniels with maybe a solid, starting, dominating offensive lineman and I would consider that an improvement.

Edited by Red

Franklin will be available, I'm not sure why KFFL missed him. But that's definitely an option. I'm guessing any top-level DL is going to start at $9M/year and go up from there. Is that a position that's worth breaking the bank for in a 3-4?

yes. franklin and truope inside moves williams outside and really up grade d line. I could see drafting the best front 7 player available and turn the defense around quickly .

Derrick johnson might provide some help as well

Take a look here: http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?option=All&y=2011

The site is not 100% up to date; it takes them a long time to process in-year extensions. But using this as a starting place, I think we've got a lot of good options:

QB: I'm not convinced there's anything there that would be better than Fitz (Kolb has since been extended; and Brady, Favre, and Manning obviously wont be on the open market). Shaun Hill has been playing interesting football, but I'd say we go #1 overall on Luck or else just keep Fitzpatrick in charge.

RB: Stay out of this pool, Buddy.

WR: The WR corps played extremely good football today, so I'm on a bit of a buzz for them. Beyond that, I think Legadu Naanee would be an interesting option in the #4 spot, but that's not a priority.

TE: Owen Daniels, and Zach Miller would be terrific acquisitions. Ignore Kellen Winslow and Vernon Davis; both have been extended.

OL: How old is Matt Light, anyway? He'd be a great veteran presence on the line here, though I'll bet he ends up a Chief. Ryan Kalil pushed Hangartener out before, maybe he could do it again, and past that, I'm sort of out of ideas here, though I don't know much about other teams' linemen.

DL: Richard Seymour might well hit the open market. Expect $10M/year if you want him. I'm not convinced it wouldn't be worth it. And if you like big money NTs, Haloti Ngata will be a free agent, unless the Ravens franchise him. That could be a $12M/year man. Past that, I think there's a lot of solid depth, if we're not getting anything from Carrington all year, etc. But I don't see a lot of solid starters who aren't going to break the bank.

LB: David Harris, Tamba Hali, Chad Greenway, Manny Lawson, Ben Leber, Kirk Morrison and LaMarr Woodley are all in contract years. A lot of them won't hit the market, but the Bills have a chance to really spend on a defensive leader this year.

DB: I think we can retain Florence and Whitner and keep this unit on back order for the season, but if we want to add to it, the talent out there seems mostly to be in the senior veteran category.

QB: Would've said the whichever Eagle QB is released but it's tough to go against Fitz's performance, Tyler Thigpen is still young and looked great as a 7th round rookie for Kansas City 2 years back.

RB: Not now

WR: Dwayne Jarrett has had a Maybinesque career in Carolina, he's a 1st round talent nonetheless and deserves a chance

TE: Daniels is a stud, plus living in southern NY I know that Kevin Boss is what his name says but will probably be kept.

OL: Doug Free had been decent for the Cowboys on and off as a starter but mostly an injury replacement at OT.

DL: Mathias Kiwanuka in NY is somewhat overshadowed by Tuck and Umenyiora but he is an animal, shows lots of desire at DE or possible OLB. Ray Edwards has been overshadowed by Allen on the other side but he deserves a look as well (unless he's already been resigned)

LB: Justin Durant in Jacksonville is a surehanded tackler it ILB. Kirk Morrison is another great tackling ILB. Woodley is a top 5 OLB and is a perfect fit for a team lacking QB Pressure. Barrett Ruud will most likely be resigned but he is a stud in the interior.

DB: Cromartie is a ball hawk with loads of talent but also loads of off the field problems (what like 7 kids with 6 women). Quinten Mikell is a pro bowl caliber SS.

Of course i agree with signing Ngata and Franklin as well.

Linebacker linebacker linebacker and maybe a DL

If we can get a Harris, and woodley...... Oh my how this team could be different.

Of course ngata would be a dream come true, but likely just a dream. Franklin would help.

It looks like strong 2 front 7 players, extending some of our own (like whitner, Florence, poz) with a strong draft would be enough to compete next year.

Problem is that the Bills have shown virtually no interest in big time FA's since Donahoe was fired. We only signed second, maybe even third, tier FA's.

Buddy's comments about being asleep when UFA began tell a lot of the story about this team's belief in UFA. A lot has to happen between now and free agency, but I think their perspective is that if Donahoe's spending on Fletcher, Bledsoe (trade) and Spikes didn't work, why continue that. Of course we know that with good coaching, a mix of top UFA's can take a team to greater heights in less than 3 years. But someone will then chime in that no one wants to play in Buffalo and therefore the Bills will never be able to sign anyone. Takeo Spikes 2003 anyone?

People forget that SD did try their hand in UFA back in 2001. They signed Marcellus Wiley, Steve Christie, and a couple others at the outset of their rebuild. If Buffalo is quiet at the outset of the next free agency period and the PR spinmeisters begin repeating the build through the draft mantra, it's a complete cop out. Buffalo needs no less than 2-3 good UFA's next year so long as there's a new CBA. They don't have a huge payroll to preclude them from doing so in 2011 either. Not spending money on more talented players tells me they talk a game, but won't back up their collective mouths.